HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   What side does Don Phaneuf play on? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=567811)

Parrish 10-31-2008 02:27 PM

What side does Don Phaneuf play on?
 
Anyone? Does he play both sides?

I always thought he played on the right side only, but I'm not certain now and it's caused an arguement between me and my bro-in-law.

Noori 10-31-2008 02:42 PM

Left

HuskyFlames 10-31-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander (Post 16109194)
Left


Hes been playing right when paired with vandermeer. and right side on PP as well.

Noori 10-31-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan (Post 16109879)
Hes been playing right when paired with vandermeer. and right side on PP as well.

Really? Hmm, I never noticed. Maybe you're right, but I alway saw him on the left side last season. It doesn't really matter for defensemen anyway.

Northern Neighbour 10-31-2008 03:48 PM

Phaneuf can play both sides, but his strong side is the right point.

Parrish 10-31-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander (Post 16109918)
Really? Hmm, I never noticed. Maybe you're right, but I alway saw him on the left side last season. It doesn't really matter for defensemen anyway.

How do you figure it dosnt matter? It matters alot. For some D it dosnt matter, but for others it's huge. I remember Dick Tarnstrom for example was terrible if used on the right side. Well he was terrible on the right side too lol. No he was much worse on the right though. It matters.

Noori 10-31-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrish (Post 16110589)
How do you figure it dosnt matter? It matters alot. For some D it dosnt matter, but for others it's huge. I remember Dick Tarnstrom for example was terrible if used on the right side. Well he was terrible on the right side too lol. No he was much worse on the right though. It matters.

It matters, but it matters to forwards more. Most defensemen can and do play both sides. Forwards have to adjust too sometimes but it's easier for a defensmen.

jBuds 10-31-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander (Post 16110632)
It matters, but it matters to forwards more. Most defensemen can and do play both sides. Forwards have to adjust too sometimes but it's easier for a defensmen.

I disagree. While I know that on our board, the emphasis on sides RE: D-men is overstated, it's definitely not easier for defenseman to switch sides than it is for forwards. The only thing tougher than a D-man playing on the side he's not used to is a winger converting to center.

Wing to wing is easy, center to wing is easy. RD to LD and W to C are tough, even for NHLers

PsYcNeT 10-31-2008 06:57 PM

Not to mention in cases of line matching, the stick side can be important in regards to side played on.

Noori 10-31-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jBuds (Post 16110656)
I disagree. While I know that on our board, the emphasis on sides RE: D-men is overstated, it's definitely not easier for defenseman to switch sides than it is for forwards. The only thing tougher than a D-man playing on the side he's not used to is a winger converting to center.

Wing to wing is easy, center to wing is easy. RD to LD and W to C are tough, even for NHLers

Most D-men are forced to play both sides, so they are more ready to switch. I've played RD before (albeit, not at a very high level) and sometimes I'd switch to LD. It was never a big deal for, my job was simple: play defense and make sure no one is left open in the slot.

jBuds 11-01-2008 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander (Post 16111908)
Most D-men are forced to play both sides, so they are more ready to switch. I've played RD before (albeit, not at a very high level) and sometimes I'd switch to LD. It was never a big deal for, my job was simple: play defense and make sure no one is left open in the slot.

I completely agree. I played LD as a righty pretty much from 10 to college, and anytime I'd have to switch to the right it's fine. But I think it's harder than that in the last post.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.