HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do you miss Mark Streit? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=567894)

Eagle Eye Cherry 10-31-2008 07:54 PM

Do you miss Mark Streit?

As it stands, Streit is on pace for a career season albeit with a lesser talented team in the Islanders and he currently leads the Isles in scoring; and with that, the question becomes do you miss Mark Streit? and his production?
would his production help your team? did he bring more positives than negatives? but considering your team has a pretty good record, I don`t think Streit will be missed.

a simple question, a curious Isles fan asking...

Pierre Dagenais 10-31-2008 07:57 PM

No way.

Mue 10-31-2008 07:59 PM

I miss Streit at 600K

So I say meh.

Freaky Habs Fan 10-31-2008 08:00 PM

Not really...Tanguay is doing a fine job on our PP and Markov is better than Streit, so IMO, Tanguay/Markov is better than Markov/Streit. He was useful and he's a good player, but not at his current price tag.

But I'm curious to know how he's playing in New York. Is he making mistakes?

CareyPrice x 31 10-31-2008 08:04 PM

I dont miss him at all to tell you the truth.

I liked him when he was here, but i dont miss him.

Eagle Eye Cherry 10-31-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 16112226)
Not really...Tanguay is doing a fine job on our PP and Markov is better than Streit, so IMO, Tanguay/Markov is better than Markov/Streit. He was useful and he's a good player, but not at his current price tag.

But I'm curious to know how he's playing in New York. Is he making mistakes?

As it stands, Streit provided what was expected offensively speaking but to everyone`s surprise, he`s playing pretty darn well in his own zone and has hardly got caught off guard making turnovers. He`s not a liability on defense, not one bit and not to mention, he`s been getting better and better each game. He`s becoming a workhorse. I`m pretty surprised he`s leading the Isles. He`s nearly producing at a PPG rate! He is so smooth at carrying the puck into the offensive zone and has been the catalyst for many goals and scoring opportunities for our team. He`s been so far the biggest offensive threat on our team so far.

Lone Rogue 10-31-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House (Post 16112265)
As it stands, Streit provided what was expected offensively speaking but to everyone`s surprise, he`s playing pretty darn well in his own zone and has hardly got caught off guard making turnovers. He`s not a liability on defense, not one bit and not to mention, he`s been getting better and better each game. He`s becoming a workhorse. I`m pretty surprised he`s leading the Isles. He`s nearly producing at a PPG rate! He is so smooth at carrying the puck into the offensive zone and has been the catalyst for many goals and scoring opportunities for our team. He`s been so far the biggest offensive threat on our team so far.

Streit is certainly a solid player. Again, it all came down to cost and after having a breakout year, it was better for him to make his money elsewhere, since hes not getting any younger.

habfaninvictoria 10-31-2008 08:12 PM

Loved him during the regular season but was a bit of a ghost in the playoffs (may have been hurt). Bottom line was awesome for $600K but there's no way we could pay that much for a 4th (at best) dman/utility forward regardless of how well he worked on the PP. I'm glad he's doing well in NY. The habs gave him a shot in the NHL when probably no one else would, chalk another on up for the scouts.

Eagle Eye Cherry 10-31-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria (Post 16112313)
Loved him during the regular season but was a bit of a ghost in the playoffs (may have been hurt). Bottom line was awesome for $600K but there's no way we could pay that much for a 4th (at best) dman/utility forward regardless of how well he worked on the PP. I'm glad he's doing well in NY. The habs gave him a shot in the NHL when probably no one else would, chalk another on up for the scouts.

indeed.
+1

Westcoasthabsfan 10-31-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House (Post 16112183)
As it stands, Streit is on pace for a career season albeit with a lesser talented team in the Islanders and he currently leads the Isles in scoring; and with that, the question becomes do you miss Mark Streit? and his production?
would his production help your team? did he bring more positives than negatives? but considering your team has a pretty good record, I don`t think Streit will be missed.

a simple question, a curious Isles fan asking...

Glad to hear he is playing well for your team but their was no way the Habs were going to sign him for what the Isles offered him

Stradale 10-31-2008 08:33 PM

I miss the Ryder-Lapierre-Streit line.

Riverside Habs Fan 10-31-2008 09:23 PM

Streit was a good guy but I am happy with the team now.

Zeus54 10-31-2008 09:30 PM

I miss him for the fact that he was one of my favorite players while he was with the Habs. But the Habs don't need him and especially for the price that the Islanders signed him at.

HH 10-31-2008 09:31 PM

I'm happy he's doing well on the Island, he was a nice guy around and a great team player. He had a great season but disappointed in the playoffs. However, he was great for the cost but with the current economic system, we couldn't pay him 4M$.

Riverside Habs Fan 10-31-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryI (Post 16112866)
I'm happy he's doing well on the Island, he was a nice guy around and a great team player. He had a great season but disappointed in the playoffs. However, he was great for the cost but with the current economic system, we couldn't pay him 4M$.

Hit the Nail on the head.

beowulf 10-31-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 16112248)
I dont miss him at all to tell you the truth.

I liked him when he was here, but i dont miss him.

that is pretty much how I feel. He improved continually while here but now that he is gone I do not miss him especially at his new salary.

otto bond 10-31-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mue (Post 16112215)
I miss Streit at 600K

So I say meh.

What you said:poutine:

1UP 10-31-2008 09:46 PM

Well, he's playing like a guy who desserves more than 4M, but we had no way to pay him that much. It's a shame, because replace Bouillon/Brisebois by Streit, and our defense is much better.

Tanguay, however, has been doing well so far. He replaced both Ryder and Streit and is heavily producing.

I'd say I miss him, but I understand that under the current way things work in the NHL, we couldn't keep him.

Alain Racette 10-31-2008 10:31 PM

The Habs offered him a shot at the NHL and now he is making money he never otherwise would have. Props to the Habs for giving a talented, smallish player another kick at the can. He was a good team player and always intrigued me when playing on the Habs!

It would really nice if he led the Isles in scoring! When was the last time a defenseman led a team in scoring? Zubov for NYR in '94?

HamrlikTheStud* 10-31-2008 10:37 PM

Streit is a good player, but with the money he gets now, no way I'd take him over Lang or Tanguay.

Happy to see he's doing well in NYI, but I don't think he's a player I'd build my D-Core around... Had I been Garth Snow, I'd have offered these terms to Ron Hainsey instead.

redmachine54 10-31-2008 10:49 PM

I thought Streit was awesome, and I liked his attitude; from what I heard, he wanted d-man minutes, which would've sucked for the team, but overall he seemed to be a good person and was a good player. I think he'd solidify the team's powerplay if he were still here (Tanguay's filled in well, but the second unit is lacking a bit).

Overall, it's a shame he left, but it was inevitable. The team's already looking at a tight squeeze to re-sign players next season, so signing Streit might've been detrimental to the long-term of the team. We also wouldn't have acquired Lang, either, which would change the face of the offense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alain Racette (Post 16113369)
It would really nice if he led the Isles in scoring! When was the last time a defenseman led a team in scoring? Zubov for NYR in '94?

I think Visnovsky led the Kings in scoring a few years ago.

LAX attack* 10-31-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmachine54 (Post 16113628)
I thought Streit was awesome, and I liked his attitude; from what I heard, he wanted d-man minutes, which would've sucked for the team, but overall he seemed to be a good person and was a good player. I think he'd solidify the team's powerplay if he were still here (Tanguay's filled in well, but the second unit is lacking a bit).

Overall, it's a shame he left, but it was inevitable. The team's already looking at a tight squeeze to re-sign players next season, so signing Streit might've been detrimental to the long-term of the team. We also wouldn't have acquired Lang, either, which would change the face of the offense.

I think Visnovsky led the Kings in scoring a few years ago.

Yes he did (05-06)

Phil Parent 10-31-2008 11:14 PM

Yes, because he has been my favourite player since the Salt Lake City olympics.

Habs10Habs 10-31-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryI (Post 16112866)

+1

Well said Harry, you saved me some typing.

Mike8 10-31-2008 11:19 PM

Not particularly. I liked Streit on D more than most here, but I could admit under strong forechecking he'd suffer a bit. That said, I'd pair him up with a guy like Hamrlik; someone who can move the puck, will support his partner, and can handle some of the more physical affairs.

That said, Streit would almost have to be partnered with Hamrlik, and he'd be a question mark in the playoffs. Potentially a liability. Flip side is that I don't think the team has a liability for the playoffs. If O'Byrne, who I'm not as fond of as most here, does not progress, then the team will acquire a solid second pairing defenseman for the stretch run.

Bottom-line: Streit was a mercenary on the Habs. Great on the PP. Not just his shot, but his puck movement, his skating and his whole offensive talent was useful. Tanguay's better at everything other than Streit's shot, but the shot is what's needed most, and Tanguay could have been utilized in another capacity.

5 on 5, though, where does Streit play? Either he holds O'Byrne back, or he changes the dynamics of the grind line.

... He was good as a forward, but he didn't like playing that role, and he was a little non-descript as a forward. Fast, yes, okay puck distributor, willing to play the body, good on the forecheck, could go to the net, could cycle ... a more solid, talented version of Dackell, perhaps. I don't see a line he particularly fits on.

In the end, Streit would help Montreal in certain respects, but he'd be a mercenary type of player on a team that should no longer have a need for those square pegs. Good player, good person, but not a player for Montreal right now unfortunately.

He's one of few that I'm genuinely very happy to see succeeding elsewhere.