HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   don cherry (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56813)

Artyukhin* 02-28-2004 10:40 PM

don cherry

to all that seen don cherry tonight ,im glad he stuck up for saku.he also took a shot at demers,and i think he might have stirred a little more gas on the fire..lol

He said "we all know why Koivu is not a good captain" as he smirked.
i think he was sayin because hes not french?thats they way i took it.lol..the visor bit maybe small compared to this..lol
go don go!!!

Tuggy 02-28-2004 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
to all that seen don cherry tonight ,im glad he stuck up for saku.he also took a shot at demers,and i think he might have stirred a little more gas on the fire..lol

He said "we all know why Koivu is not a good captain" as he smirked.
i think he was sayin because hes not french?thats they way i took it.lol..the visor bit maybe small compared to this..lol
go don go!!!

That's exactly what he was sayin, but he's not allowed to talk anymore so....and I agree with him 100%!

PrairieHabber 02-28-2004 10:48 PM

On this topic I agree with Cherry. Demers has always run off at the mouth and this is what happens when you're like that. Sometimes Demers has helpful things to say but his slam of Koivu is moronic. I am embarrassed that this former Habs coach has added to this unnecessary controversy.

EaGLE1 02-28-2004 10:51 PM

Koivu is very good on the ice but is not in my opinion a real captain. Remember Gainey/Carbonneau?

This team is inconsistant and a big part of that is the lack of leadership.
(Yeah, i know they won 4 in a row)

Artyukhin* 02-28-2004 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
Koivu is very good on the ice but is not in my opinion a real captain. Remember Gainey/Carbonneau?

========
ok eagle1 is jacques demers...lol :joker:

Jeffrey 02-28-2004 11:00 PM

Quote:

there is very few Gainey/Carbonneau captain in this league !!

Kirk Muller 02-28-2004 11:08 PM

Quote:

Yeah its just so much easier though when you are captaining really good teams. Funny how Captains are never good until the team is actually contenders. Yzerman was questioned until they brought in some decent players, Sakic was questioned until they got better players.

Leadership is a team effort, Gainey and Carboneau had guys like Keane, Mcphee, Robinson etc., Koivu has ugh, Rivet and well Souray, at least this year. You also can't compare todays hockey player to that of 10 years ago.

tnq 02-28-2004 11:19 PM

Koivu is not a good captain, i have to agree with. But he is the best guy who can be captain among all players in Montreal right now. If one day Saku is not with Habs anymore, the guy who may be the next captain is Ryder.

Artyukhin* 02-28-2004 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnq
Koivu is not a good captain, i have to agree with. But he is the best guy who can be captain among all players in Montreal right now. If one day Saku is not with Habs anymore, the guy who may be the next captain is Ryder.

================================================== =========
ryder as captian?well imho if he's still here in 4 or 5 years then maybe.i love ryder but its a little early to be calling him as our next captian after 3/4 of a season :)

deandebean 02-28-2004 11:29 PM

Ok, let me see...You prefer believing one of the worst coaches to ever be behind the bench of a storied franchise, over a Stanley Cup winner, one that took a few very ordinary teams to some pretty impressive playoff runs. Just because the first guy says what you want to hear.

Mmmm.....

tnq 02-28-2004 11:29 PM

do you want Koivu leaving after this year ? me neither. So maybe in 4-5 years :)

leafaholix* 02-28-2004 11:34 PM

Cherry's doing a lot of ass kissing lately.

;)

Traitor8 02-28-2004 11:35 PM

Sheldon Souray
Craig Rivet
Stephane Quintal
Patrice Brisebois
Joe Juneau
Richard Zednik
Jose Theodore

are also players that should take some leadership in the room.

Guys who IMO will become leaders or better leaders:

Chris Higgins
Mike Komisarek
Andrei Kostsitsyn
Mike Ribeiro

tnq 02-28-2004 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Cherry's doing a lot of ass kissing lately.

;)

if i was him, i will do the same for 700 000$ contract :rolly:

Kirk Muller 02-28-2004 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnq

Tell me what you base this on? Koivu's leadership? Ryder's ability of leadership? We all know what they say about opinions. Are you simply basing it on wins, a couple of reporters who like to take digs at Koivu, his scuffle with Ribeiro which has propelled the team to a 5-1 record since. What? Honestly, people have yet to give any real decent reasons.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 02-29-2004 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnq
Koivu is not a good captain,

What`s your reasoning for this???

Koivu is a good captain...maybe he isn` a Yzerman or Sakic but very few guys are. Look what happend to Modano...he`s named captain and he`s on pace for his worse season ever. It can`t be easy being a captain in the NHL especially on the Habs when you`ve got the fans/media breathing down your neck whenever you don`t perform.

Necrophile 02-29-2004 03:12 AM

Also, you gotta love the way Koivu responded to the booing nonsense: by coming back and playing his best hockey of the year! As opposed to asking for a trade, or lashing out at the fans, for example.

Koivu !!! :yo:

habitue* 02-29-2004 07:50 AM

Here we go AGAIN ! :mad:

Fozz 02-29-2004 08:58 AM

I don't know if I agree with Demers' comment regarding Koivu being the captain but Cherry's innuendo that the reason is because he isn't french is laughable!

Demers is the same person that named Steve Yzerman captain of the Red Wings back in the '80's and has always considered him to be the end all and be all in the leadership department. I think he is simply comparing Koivu to a guy like Yzerman and that isn't really fair to Koivu. Of course, he isn't Yzerman but then again there are no Yzermans on this team.

But why would Demers even care if Koivu is french or not? Why would anyone? There may be some Montreal journalist that play that card but I doubt Demers is one of them.

BLONG7 02-29-2004 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrophile
Also, you gotta love the way Koivu responded to the booing nonsense: by coming back and playing his best hockey of the year! As opposed to asking for a trade, or lashing out at the fans, for example.

Koivu !!! :yo:

VERY WELL SAID!!!! Koivu is DA MAN!!!

goalchenyuk 02-29-2004 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandebean
Ok, let me see...You prefer believing one of the worst coaches to ever be behind the bench of a storied franchise, over a Stanley Cup winner, one that took a few very ordinary teams to some pretty impressive playoff runs. Just because the first guy says what you want to hear.

Mmmm.....

:handclap: :lol: :handclap:

mcphee 02-29-2004 09:46 AM

I'm with you Deandebean and Markov, frankly, Demers and Cherry are both in the entertainment business and palying a game back and forth. Who cares. I'm tired of people using every comment to prove an unproveable point. If my Mom says Koivu is a good leader, can we all drop it ? Anyone goes against my Mom and I'm comin' lookin' for ya.

tritone 02-29-2004 04:07 PM

Momma?!?!?!?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
I'm with you Deandebean and Markov, frankly, Demers and Cherry are both in the entertainment business and palying a game back and forth. Who cares. I'm tired of people using every comment to prove an unproveable point. If my Mom says Koivu is a good leader, can we all drop it ? Anyone goes against my Mom and I'm comin' lookin' for ya.

But I heard your mom was sleeping with Koivu so it doesn't count. :joker:

P.S. editor's note : sorry Mc , I just couldn't help it, You did throw it out there for the vultures to come digging ...

mcphee 02-29-2004 05:24 PM

It's ok, I can take a joke, course my brother's off his medication these days......

Minos 02-29-2004 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz
I don't know if I agree with Demers' comment regarding Koivu being the captain but Cherry's innuendo that the reason is because he isn't french is laughable!

Demers is the same person that named Steve Yzerman captain of the Red Wings back in the '80's and has always considered him to be the end all and be all in the leadership department. I think he is simply comparing Koivu to a guy like Yzerman and that isn't really fair to Koivu. Of course, he isn't Yzerman but then again there are no Yzermans on this team.

But why would Demers even care if Koivu is french or not? Why would anyone? There may be some Montreal journalist that play that card but I doubt Demers is one of them.

You can't really compare the situations - Yzerman in one city at one time and Koivu in a different city in a different time. Demers has move away from coaching and into journalism - no one who was thinking like a coach would ever suggest Koivu isn't a good captain. In all likelihood Demers is just stiring the pot, but its entirely conceiveable for someone (anyone) to think that Montreal should have a French speaking captain and in that respect Cherry's innuendo is far from laughable. So while he could be right in this circumstance, I still hate Don Cherry ;)