HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   O'byrne & Brisebois (merged) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=568386)

limelight 11-02-2008 11:27 AM

O'byrne & Brisebois (merged)

Is it possible to send Ryan O'byrne down to Hamilton even though he has a one way contract? Or do we risk losing him on the waver wire?
I think he needs more seasoning and I think some time in Hamilton is needed in order to rebuild his confidence.

24 And Counting* 11-02-2008 11:28 AM

This.

That guy is the worst on the team and he proves it every time we dress him.

Beakermania* 11-02-2008 11:32 AM

I think his age means we can't send him down.... would someone confirm this??

One Man Rock Band 11-02-2008 11:44 AM

The biggest problem he has is he doesn't fit our system.

We are a fast, breakout type team. We look for the fast breaks and try to score off the rush.

O'Byrne plays more of a dump style. He'll chip the puck out of the zone (50% of the time for icing).. and hope that we can do something with that.. and really just hope the other team doesn't score.

Would anyone be willing to move him (+) for a guy we could dress every day and feel more confident? Though I'm really not sure what's out there.

JMMR 11-02-2008 11:49 AM

I really like OB and still believe he has fantastic upside.
It usually takes 100+ games for a player like him to develop.
I would be against sending him down.

In 1 year OB > Frank Patrice and Dandy combined.

ToysInTheAttic 11-02-2008 11:51 AM

I was all for seeing him in Hamilton for a few games, but it really becomes problematic if he'd have to clear waivers.

habfaninvictoria 11-02-2008 11:55 AM

I agree, and furthermore if it's ok to keep some other young players around for the past couple years for the sake of development then it's certainly ok to keep this young Dman here. It's a much more difficult position and he would be wasting his time in Hamilton. If his name were Lebyrne it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Beakermania* 11-02-2008 12:03 PM

I still say let O'B play and make mistakes... I'm better with him learning from the mistakes than Patrice making the same mistakes he always does and not learning....

David_99 11-02-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria (Post 16133182)
I agree, and furthermore if it's ok to keep some other young players around for the past couple years for the sake of development then it's certainly ok to keep this young Dman here. It's a much more difficult position and he would be wasting his time in Hamilton. If his name were Lebyrne it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Exactly. Like such fan favorites as Brisebois, Dandenault & Traverse...

xeric716x 11-02-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 16133265)
I still say let O'B play and make mistakes... I'm better with him learning from the mistakes than Patrice making the same mistakes he always does and not learning....

exactly my thoughts. the only way for him to get better is to keep playing and learning.

Kriss E 11-02-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 16133058)
The biggest problem he has is he doesn't fit our system.

We are a fast, breakout type team. We look for the fast breaks and try to score off the rush.

O'Byrne plays more of a dump style. He'll chip the puck out of the zone (50% of the time for icing).. and hope that we can do something with that.. and really just hope the other team doesn't score.

Would anyone be willing to move him (+) for a guy we could dress every day and feel more confident? Though I'm really not sure what's out there.

I disagree.
First of all, saying 50% of the time he has the puck in our zone he ices it is really pushing it. Granted, he does it every now and then, but 50% is quite the exaggeration.

O'byrne has better passing skills than Komi, he's just shaky at the moment. Once he feels comfortable he'll be a lot more solid.

Some people forget that the guy has played 40ish games. I find them to be quite impatient. Komisarek took quite a while before becoming solid. I remember how people were saying he sucks. It takes time for a D to make the transition into the NHL. But he needs to play, Carbo can't be scratching him every 2Games. This will not help him at all. He has to play, make his mistakes, come back to bench, get his pointers from coaches, and learn.
Not watch Breezer go in instead of him, and make mistakes as well.

But I'd be willing to move him for the sole reason that we're going after the cup this year and unfortunately we do need a strong 4th D. But this will all depend on him and how he evolves until the deadline.

jpchabby 11-02-2008 12:14 PM

I really wouldn't like to see him get taken in the waivers by someone else... Komisarek wasn't that good at his beginning, but he became one of the best defensive defensemen in the entire league now. I'm not saying it's the case for O'byrne, but I guess its just gonna take more time for him to develop in the kind of player he's destined to be

GoHabs20 11-02-2008 12:18 PM

could it be we were wrong when it comes to #3?

doesn't look good out there. Is he scared to hit?

Mini-Komi? no way!

goalchenyuk 11-02-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 16133265)

Amen !

Big O needs to play at the NHL level , and learns from his mistakes . I think also that a lot of big players take more time to be at their full potential ; Even an experimented player likes Komisarek isn't at his best right now . It's like they have more trouble to find their synchro

GoneAway 11-02-2008 12:29 PM

Where the heck is Irish Blues when you need him?

goalchenyuk 11-02-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHabs20 (Post 16133445)
could it be we were wrong when it comes to #3?

doesn't look good out there. Is he scared to hit?

Mini-Komi? no way!

He's doing the best thing he could do by now is ; not going for the big hit but plays a safe game , until he finds his confidence .

Habskrieg 11-02-2008 12:33 PM

I'm all for keeping Obi in the lineup. Sure he's making mistakes at this moment. Personnaly I don't feel that he's been doing horrbile ever since season began. And I'm pretty sure that he has to make mistakes in order to learn. IMO give the kid some slcak, he's trying, he will make mistakes, defensemen is imo the hardest task on a team. Let the guy learn, if he can't seem to do any good after say 10-15 games, well ok I guess measures have to be made. But the kid is still in development and we can't have him face the guillotine yet.

LastRide 11-02-2008 12:35 PM

Its really too bad because he played well last year in the beginning. He used his size for hitting and reach to break up plays and even got in the odd scrap. Now it looks like he just takes it for granted. He's tooken a step backwards.

m00ks 11-02-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 16133379)
O'byrne has better passing skills than Komi.

Ok No. Ryan "icing" Obyrne does not have better passing skills than Komisarek.

Gainey#1* 11-02-2008 12:46 PM

Give the kid a chance.

The only way he will learn and improve is if he continues to play through mistakes. I believe he is further along in his development than Komisarek was at his age.

The worst thing we could do is send him to Hamilton, and lets not kid ourselves, he won't even make it to Hamilton as 29 other teams would be willing to pick him up.

Habskrieg 11-02-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gainey#1 (Post 16133759)
Give the kid a chance.

The only way he will learn and improve is if he continues to play through mistakes. I believe he is further along in his development than Komisarek was at his age.

The worst thing we could do is send him to Hamilton, and lets not kid ourselves, he won't even make it to Hamilton as 29 other teams would be willing to pick him up.

Personnaly i agree with this. Komi wasn't as good as he is now when he was starting. Give Oby a break, he's gona have to learn from his mistakes, and it's his job to get back on his 2 feet. Sending him back to hamilton won't help him improve to an nhl level.

Haddock 11-02-2008 12:54 PM

O'Byrne needs to play, period. He's worst than Brisebois, who seems to be back to his be-atch statue amongst some fans around here. Even then, he needs to be playing and making mistakes while gaining experience. Nothing can replace that.

Edited by a mod because jokes are now frowned upon.

Stradale 11-02-2008 12:55 PM

He better learn fast because i feel Carbo is loosing patience with him. That guy cannot make a freaking first pass, when he feels the forecheck coming, he ice the puck or just give the puck away by sending it to the board. If only, he could use his size and hit more but we cant barely see that. Its weird to see Gorges develop some much faster by playing with Bouillon when Obyrne plays with a veteran like Hamrlik and still struggles to make simple plays.

bib 11-02-2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gainey#1 (Post 16133759)
Give the kid a chance.

speaking of someone who needs to learn from his mistakes....ahem

http://johncarmichaels.typepad.com/c...Eat%20Crow.jpg

Gil128 11-02-2008 01:00 PM

I looked at previous posts regarding Mike Komisarek, there were lots of calls from ""supposed experts"" calling for his head, get rid of him, he will never amount to anything they said, I see alot of Komi in O'Bryne, he just has to play more agressive use his size, once he gets steady amount of ice time, he will get his confidence, I agree if his name was Leclaire or the like the media would not be so rough