HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sunday's Washington Post (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56848)

officeglen 02-29-2004 01:30 AM

Sunday's Washington Post

Here is the latest from Sunday's Washington Post:

Amid Talks, Kolzig, Gonchar Sit Out Loss
Quote:

Gonchar, the league's highest-scoring defenseman, also sat out Friday's game with what the Capitals are calling the flu. Sources said Gonchar is not sick although he is feeling slightly groggy from a hit he took in Wednesday's game. Gonchar and the Capitals have opted for him to rest -- not wanting to risk him to further injury and thus derail a trade -- although he did skate briefly this morning and participated in the pregame warmup, making enough of a showing to whet the appetite of the scouts present.

"He was pretty close to going," Coach Glen Hanlon said of Gonchar. "I will assume he will be ready to play by our next game."

Toronto has made the biggest push for Gonchar, although Boston, New Jersey, Dallas, Nashville and Vancouver are also in the hunt, while Toronto and Colorado have expressed interest in Kolzig, also a former all-star.

Kolzig was left on the bench after sparkling in Friday's victory over the Florida Panthers. General Manager George McPhee said that Coach Glen Hanlon phoned him after that game to inform him of his intention to start backup goalie Sebastien Charpentier against Tampa Bay, a surprise move considering Kolzig, a workhorse, was also given Wednesday off.

McPhee has been trying to rally interest in Kolzig among other general managers, sources said, with the market for goalies limited. Washington is eager to dump the $12.75 million remaining on Kolzig's contract, following a mandate that has already resulted in the departure of key veterans Jaromir Jagr, Robert Lang, Peter Bondra and Steve Konowalchuk. Kolzig has been excellent the last two months, but struggled Monday against Tampa Bay -- a speedy team that can overpower Washington's weak defense -- and that likely also played a role in the decision to hold the 33-year-old out of Saturday's contest.

Toronto's interest in Kolzig has intensified recently, according to NHL executives with knowledge of the discussions, because of a lingering back injury to Ed Belfour, its top goalie. Belfour stopped all 17 shots he faced Saturday -- just his second appearance this month -- and his health will be monitored closely by the Maple Leafs in the coming days. Colorado, meantime, is notorious for making huge deals before the trade deadline, an even more likely scenario after its arch-rival, Detroit, plucked Lang from the Capitals without having to trade anything off its current roster.

Both Kolzig and Gonchar could be dealt before Washington's next game, Tuesday against Florida at MCI Center, while Nashville scout Paul Gardner, a former Capital and Gonchar's former coach in Washington's minor league system, watched defenseman Brendan Witt for the fourth straight game.

Montreal, also seeking defensive help, has been following the Capitals closely as well, with scouts present at the team's last four games. New Jersey, which lost another star defenseman to injury Saturday night, Dallas, Vancouver and Los Angeles are also competing for Witt's services.
The Caps are just a Trades 'R Us big box store, and those smaller retail outlets cannot compete. Btw that was not the complete article, as the Post continues to provide some of best journalism on the hockey trade front.

Finkle is Einhorn 02-29-2004 01:34 AM

I question the validity of any article that says that Vancouver is "in the hunt" for Gonchar...

EroCaps 02-29-2004 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battle axe
I question the validity of any article that says that Vancouver is "in the hunt" for Gonchar...

The Washington Post has a reputation for being sparse with detail. Be it McPhee, or the recent lull in interest in D.C, the last thing the paper would do is try and fabricate hockey rumors to sell newspapers! :p

messy_eh 02-29-2004 07:07 AM

Quote:

i think they are basing that on the fact that Vancouver has scouted the Caps recently, but i think they are more interested in witt, and players such as Battaglia, carter and Nylander

HughJass* 02-29-2004 08:11 AM

Quote:

I question the validity of any article that claims Kolzig has been "excellent" the past two months.

capsfandan 02-29-2004 08:31 AM

Now the next items up for auction are numbers: #55, #19 & #37
What will you give...what will you give me.... :handclap: :bow:

Tinordi24* 02-29-2004 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
I question the validity of any article that claims Kolzig has been "excellent" the past two months.

Ummm have you watched Kolzig play lately?? Maybe the 48 save 1gaa effort vs Ottawa? 38 save shutout against the hawks? 27 saves 1g vs the cats? several other games including a tie with the Canes where he made something like 35-40 saves and 1gaa.

He has been fantastic since right around the time of the coaching change and the Jagr trade. We are actually playing some form of D around him for the first time in 3 years.

He gets no easy 18 saves shutouts

capsfandan 02-29-2004 09:18 AM

Klozig has been doing this with mostly AHL quality defenseman as well. :bow:

wasting time 02-29-2004 09:42 AM

I have to believe that if Kolzig is going anywhere it will be in Toronto, not Colorado. Colorado has an excellent young goalie in Aebisher just coming into his prime years and an excellent prospect in Sauve. I understand that a rookie goalie is not high security for Lacroix, but Kolzig's next 2 years under contract undermine his value to Colorado I believe, quite significantly. Plus, Colorado does not have a huge stable of prospects to part with.

Toronto on the other hand does not have Belfour under contract next year. Tellqvist may be the future but needs to be a back-up for a year or 2 first.

Signing Kolzig as Eddie's back-up this year would be a very astute acquisiton. Eddie may have had a shut out last night but may have had to sleep on a board all night for all we know.

txpd 02-29-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:

what the post said was...Dallas, Vancouver and Los Angeles are also competing for Witt's services.

said witt not gonchar?

p.l.f. 02-29-2004 10:23 AM

nashville wants witt eh ?

txpd 02-29-2004 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16

you havent seen him play or seen his numbers then. he is carrying a .930 sv percentage since 12-31-03. the league lead is Luogo's .930 something. he has been defensive player of the week and has seen the 2nd most shots against(luongo the most) in the NHL.

he gave up some soft goals in the first half and has been about the hottest goalie in the league in the 2nd half.

Finkle is Einhorn 02-29-2004 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd
what the post said was...Dallas, Vancouver and Los Angeles are also competing for Witt's services.

said witt not gonchar?

Did you read the whole article?

gonzo11 02-29-2004 12:55 PM

9 days and counting

Bobby Lou 02-29-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd

said witt not gonchar?

Nope, not according to this:

Quote:

Toronto has made the biggest push for Gonchar, although Boston, New Jersey, Dallas, Nashville and Vancouver are also in the hunt, while Toronto and Colorado have expressed interest in Kolzig, also a former all-star.
I also have no idea why Vancouver would be mentioned in connection with Gonchar, we aren't really in need of another puck-moving offensive d-man, especially with Jovo due back in the next few weeks. Burke has said he is looking for a 'depth defenseman' and that definitely doesn't sound like Gonchar to me.

As mentioned, Witt on the other hand would be a really good fit for the Canucks.