HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What would you guys think of Cam Barker in MTL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=568667)

Maxpac 11-03-2008 09:05 AM

What would you guys think of Cam Barker in MTL?
 
Simple question, there's a proposal on the trade rumor board in witch Higgins would go to chicago for barker and CGY's 2nd round pick, for the last 2 days this proposal has really grew up on me, Barker would be a solid addition for our pp and in the future, playing with Hammer maybe as good for his devolpment as it was for Phaneuf

what do you guys think?

Dan K 11-03-2008 09:13 AM

Barker is interesting, but he's not the piece that I'd consider moving Higgins for. If Higgins is to go, it's to bring back an important player for us to win this year. If we're after Barker, I'd be more inclined to offer O'Byrne and a 2nd or something to that effect, though I doubt Chicago would have interest.

gusfring 11-03-2008 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 16145837)
Simple question, there's a proposal on the trade rumor board in witch Higgins would go to chicago for barker and CGY's 2nd round pick, for the last 2 days this proposal has really grew up on me, Barker would be a solid addition for our pp and in the future, playing with Hammer maybe as good for his devolpment as it was for Phaneuf

what do you guys think?

Nope. I think it was clear Saturday that Higgins is needed on that second line. Lats can't cut it there.

mcphee 11-03-2008 09:14 AM

why hasn't Barker nailed down an NHL job yet ?

Nedved 11-03-2008 09:15 AM

thats too much.

Monctonscout 11-03-2008 09:23 AM

As much as Barker will be a good NHL d-man, right now we need a more experienced guy if we are to make a run at the cup.

Tuggy 11-03-2008 09:24 AM

How does the trade make any sense though? I understand the idea of trading for a defenseman, but if Gainey does choose to do that then wouldn't he trade for an established player? Barker could very well be a great down the road but he is certainly not at that point yet. Also I don't see him trading Higgins. I think it's more likely he'll trade prospects and draft picks closer to the deadline. This team is trying to win now, as in this season. Getting younger makes no sense whatsoever.

Prudentius 11-03-2008 09:31 AM

No. Barker is not good enough.

otto bond 11-03-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu (Post 16145876)
Barker is interesting, but he's not the piece that I'd consider moving Higgins for. If Higgins is to go, it's to bring back an important player for us to win this year. If we're after Barker, I'd be more inclined to offer O'Byrne and a 2nd or something to that effect, though I doubt Chicago would have interest.

I see things the way you see them. Also adding that he may be more interesting next year. Higgins has more of an impact then Barker. He shoots left and I think that we need a right hand shot in their to balance thing out. Also with new head coach, his playing time could go up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuggy (Post 16145939)
How does the trade make any sense though? I understand the idea of trading for a defenseman, but if Gainey does choose to do that then wouldn't he trade for an established player? Barker could very well be a great down the road but he is certainly not at that point yet. Also I don't see him trading Higgins. I think it's more likely he'll trade prospects and draft picks closer to the deadline. This team is trying to win now, as in this season. Getting younger makes no sense whatsoever.

By the looks of things, fans are bored cause the team plays only on Friday. Also this is the second pause in like 2-3weeks. Scheduals sucks for most team.

IcE ColD 11-03-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16145881)
why hasn't Barker nailed down an NHL job yet ?

He was called back not so long ago, but I think it had something to do with Chicago's salary cap situation and the fact that he wouldn't have to clear waivers.

beowulf 11-03-2008 10:18 AM

As others have mentioned, Higgins is more important to us right now. Also, we would be giving up to much to Barker as I think Higgins value is probably superior.

frederixx 11-03-2008 10:26 AM

he's a nice project, but i bet that Gainey is looking for experience here. They want to win this year and Barker isn't ready yet...

I think that if Gainey decides to make a move, he'll likely trade one of our prospect instead of top 9. Who will replace Higgins on the 2nd/3rd line, Kostopoulos or an unexperienced AHLer?... no, that's not how you build a cup contender.

We have great prospects and not enough place for them anyway.

Joey 11-03-2008 10:27 AM

Wasn't Barker on pace for around 40 points as a 21 year old last season?

Russeltown 11-03-2008 10:32 AM

I'd rather let O'Byrne play.

Whitesnake 11-03-2008 10:32 AM

I would be thrilled. There is a possibility to have a great team while doing some development as well and if we're ready to give O'Byrne a chance, by having Barker, not only you're getting somebody better but you're also thinking about the future as well.

I guess we need to make a decision as far as O'Byrne is concerned. Some want to develop him by playing him, some say that he's not good enough and we need somebody better so we can go far this year. Seems to me everybody is right, still it won't be possible to do both. If he's not good enough to be top 4 but you still want to develop him, he needs to play, meaning #5 or #6.....but then who's place is he taking for the sake of development? Gorges or Bouillon? And then, is he even better than those 2? Can he play on his off-side on the bottom pairing? What purpose will serve him to let him in the stands? 'Cause next year we'll have openings? Maybe. But then, what happens to Brisebois? If O'Byrne is not traded, it's Brisebois who become top 4. But if O'Byrne and something else is traded for something better than O'Byrne, you keep Brisebois out of the lineup.

RC51 11-03-2008 10:33 AM

Barker has been sent down twice and never played more then 45 games in any one NHL season. HUMM, could be a bust? or at least a mini bust. He may yet be a good NHL d-man but nothing yet.

SO the Habs need this for what reason again???

Whitesnake 11-03-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51 (Post 16146427)
Barker has been sent down twice and never played more then 45 games in any one NHL season. HUMM, could be a bust? or at least a mini bust. He may yet be a good NHL d-man but nothing yet.

SO the Habs need this for what reason again???

'Cause one of Barker's greatest asset is that he can be send down without being on waivers. But don't worry, if O'Byrne would play like Barker plays right now, we would be more tempted to let him learn....

Add to the fact that he's probably not going to cost us a lot, he could be a nice addition. I'm not saying it's THE end of the world, but it won't cost Higgins.

Marksman 11-03-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC51 (Post 16146427)
Barker has been sent down twice and never played more then 45 games in any one NHL season. HUMM, could be a bust? or at least a mini bust. He may yet be a good NHL d-man but nothing yet.

SO the Habs need this for what reason again???

Hes only 22 years old and this is his 3rd season! How can you call him bust after just two seasons when hes even had injuries.:help:

But, I dont see the need either, even after losing Valentenko (apparently) we are well stocked for defensive prospects. Also, with Markov/Hamrlik on the left side, the need is on the right side (Barkers lefty isnt he?).

chitownhabsfan 11-03-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16145881)
why hasn't Barker nailed down an NHL job yet ?

Cause his salary is causing the Hawks to be hard against the cap. Tallon has made a big splash with respect to salaries and is now paying for it. He has >$12M invested in two NHL goalies, which is waaay too much for the goalie department.

If Tallon had been able to wave goodby to Khabibulin @ $6.5M this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Higgins' @ $1.7M is a steal whereas Barker is getting $2.768M and is overpaid considering he is considered to be a fifth or higher d-man.

It appears that the majority of Habs fans think that Bou is overpaid at $1.875M, I hate to think what their opinion would be of Barker if Higgins were to be traded for him at this point in his career.

Given this is the way that GM Tallon manages his business, I wonder what his credit card debt looks like??

:(

:habs

le_sean 11-03-2008 11:44 AM

It's an interesting trade. I've loved Barker since he was in the Juniors, a character player with lots of talent. This would solve two problems for the Habs: an offensive defenceman, and a young LD (with the loss of Valentenko). Like someone said, he was on pace for 40 points last year, at the age of 21. He's also 6'3 215lbs which is a fantastic size.

But it's tough losing Higgins, his two-way play and speed really compliments this team. He's also an Alternate Captain.

Tough one.

Habs10Habs 11-03-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitownhabsfan (Post 16146888)
Cause his salary is causing the Hawks to be hard against the cap. Tallon has made a big splash with respect to salaries and is now paying for it. He has >$12M invested in two NHL goalies, which is waaay too much for the goalie department.

If Tallon had been able to wave goodby to Khabibulin @ $6.5M this discussion wouldn't be taking place.

Higgins' @ $1.7M is a steal whereas Barker is getting $2.768M and is overpaid considering he is considered to be a fifth or higher d-man.

It appears that the majority of Habs fans think that Bou is overpaid at $1.875M, I hate to think what their opinion would be of Barker if Higgins were to be traded for him at this point in his career.

Given this is the way that GM Tallon manages his business, I wonder what his credit card debt looks like??

:(

:habs

I don't think anyone thinks Bouwmeester is over paid at $1.875M. Especially since he's currently making $4.875M. ;)

Even at his current salary, I don't think many Hab fans would consider him over paid.

Pascal 11-03-2008 12:00 PM

I don't see how it helps us at all. We already have a bunch of good young dmen coming up. And getting Barker means O'Byrne will miss out on playing time in the NHL..

McDonagh/Yemelin and Weber are all 1-2 yrs away.

Makes no sense.

le_sean 11-03-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16147283)
I don't see how it helps us at all. We already have a bunch of good young dmen coming up. And getting Barker means O'Byrne will miss out on playing time in the NHL..

McDonagh/Yemelin and Weber are all 1-2 yrs away.

Makes no sense.

Because after McDonagh the Habs have no significant LD. Valentenko is gone and there is uncertainty with Emelin's future. Weber, Subban, Fischer, Carle and O'Byrne are all RD.

One Man Rock Band 11-03-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 16147194)
I don't think anyone thinks Bouwmeester is over paid at $1.875M. Especially since he's currently making $4.875M. ;)

Even at his current salary, I don't think many Hab fans would consider him over paid.

I'm not sure if your serious or joking.. but I'm pretty sure he's talking about Bouillon..

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 16147383)
Because after McDonagh the Habs have no significant LD. Valentenko is gone and there is uncertainty with Emelin's future. Weber, Subban, Fischer, Carle and O'Byrne are all RD.

Korneev was drafted, I think, as a LD.. but I'm pretty sure he plays RD.. so we are even thinner in that position.

Even our lower rated D guys seem to play mostly on the ride side.. Stejskal is a RD.

Maxpac 11-03-2008 12:19 PM

Barker has as much potential as Mcdonagh, probably more, with Hamerlik and regular ice-time i have no doubt he will become a top-4 defensmen in no time, not to mention
(again) a big asset on the pp. If Higgins is too much how bout giving Chicago back there 2nd round pick and O'byrne, they don't look to have any shut-down player in the system ezcept for Danis-Pépin who'sd way too big of a gamble to relye on right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 16147443)
Korneev was drafted, I think, as a LD.. but I'm pretty sure he plays RD.. so we are even thinner in that position.

Even our lower rated D guys seem to play mostly on the ride side.. Stejskal is a RD.

You do realise that you're the only one who ever talks about korneev right? You know just like i do that he'l get a big fat contract extension after next year and he'l probably never leave the KHL


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.