HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Georges Laraque (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=568721)

tacocat 11-03-2008 01:03 PM

Georges Laraque

First I would like to begin by saying that I was very happy when Gainey signed Laraque. I also acknowledge that the season is still young, and his contract even younger.

But I cannot help but to think that Gainey will regret this signing next year, or the year after, if not already. Carbo is having a hard time using him (he has only played 4 games so far, and only once took more than 9 shifts). He is also -2 and pointless (though I know he wasn't signed for his production).

My worry is that he is rather expensive ($1.5 million for 5 minutes every 2 games?), and, as he is getting older, I take it we should expect this to be his best year as a Hab. I think that we are going to desperately want that $1.5 million spent elsewhere many times throughout the next 3 years.

That said, I love the Habs this year: 8-1-1, awesome.

ToysInTheAttic 11-03-2008 01:07 PM

The biggest problem with Laraque as I see it so far is he doesn't have the speed to keep up with the 4th line.

habfan4 11-03-2008 01:07 PM

IMO this type of discussion is very premature.

I contend that BGL is either still injured or at a minimum has not gotten into game shape since his injury and that is the reason he's played limited games and seen limited ice-time.

ToysInTheAttic 11-03-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 16148130)

I contend that BGL is either still injured or at a minimum has not gotten into game shape since his injury and that is the reason he's played limited games and seen limited ice-time.

Point taken, you may be right. I really hope so.

C-Saku Koivu MTL 11-03-2008 01:09 PM

He'S not in great shape right now and it shows. Laraque is a fine player to have on a 4th line and I'm ok with his price tag. We knew what we were getting and so far so good. Once he get in better shape, he be able to control the puck down low with his body like he always did.

I also liked Carbo idea to use him on the PP agaisnt Sutton in front of the net vs the Isles. Something I hope he'll use from time to time vs Chara and some other teams.

Lebeau47 11-03-2008 01:09 PM

Laraque is getting into shape, nothing to worry hell get better as the season goes along

he was signed for the playoffs anyways, so his perfermonce in the first 10 games doesnt really matter

and so far, i think he has done exactly what is expected of him and done it well :handclap:

Habsolutely 11-03-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Very likely.
I would add to that since he is a fan favorite and originally from Montreal, he was rushed into the home opener.

Captain Saku 11-03-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

I don't think this should be an excuse for bad conditioning. Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins all missed most of traning camp and they're in a pretty good shape. Those are professional athletes and they're supposed to be in shape when the season starts whatever the excuse is!

Mustafa* 11-03-2008 01:14 PM

George hasn't been playing his best hockey yet, but he is still helping the team when he is on the ice. He fought when we were loosing 4-1, we finaly won the game, i'm not saying that this was a game shifter, but the other players should have been feeling bad for their effort comparing to Laraque fighting a 6"8. Plus Laraque was a dominating force from the half of the second period to the end of the Coyotes game.

He didn't have a training camp and Carbo is treating him like every other players from the 4th line. People were too impressed by the signing, the intimidating game is something more subtle and dificult than most of us would think. Till now Laraque hasnt been a deception to me and i like what he has done, i'm waiting to see more from this guy for the weeks to come. Let Lapierre and him build their game together, it will be beautiful.

Beakermania* 11-03-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiascov (Post 16148189)
I don't think this should be an excuse for bad conditioning. Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins all missed most of traning camp and they're in a pretty good shape. Those are professional athletes and they're supposed to be in shape when the season starts whatever the excuse is!

Every injury is different....

habfan4 11-03-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiascov (Post 16148189)

Your comment seems a tad unfair, its pretty difficult to get a 6'3 250lbs frame moving at NHL speed in the best of circumstances, but with a groin injury it's damn near impossible.

wedge 11-03-2008 01:17 PM

Laraque being in the lineup is enough for helping the team. Even Saku, at the beginning of the season, that Laraque was a reassuring presence and that everybody felt stronger and more confident when he was there. Other teams won't mess with our big names or they're going to have to face Laraque. hockey-wise, he's been disappointing but like I said, his presence helps the team. That's the reason why he was signed.

wolfinhabsclothing 11-03-2008 01:20 PM

Laraque doesn't have the skill, nor does he deserve, to play 82 games with any NHL team. If Carbo is wise he'll pick his spots. All other things being equal, the lines should be:

Plekanec-Kovalev-A. Kost
Koivu-Tanguay-Higgins
Lang-S. Kost-Latendresse
Lapierre-Kostopoulos-x

x should = Laraque when the Habs are playing a team like the Bruins and Flyers, it should be Begin when you need a little grit/agitation, but not a fighter per se, and it should be Dandenault when a D-man is a little sore or we need a bit more speed.

Saturday was an example of a game that was useless for Laraque to be dressed for. He could have had another week to rest his groin and the Isles probably woouldn't have dressed Fritz if Laraque wasn't dressing. Even if Fritz was dressed, if he had nobody to tangle with he would barely have played. As it was, Big George allowed Fritz to make a name for himself by fighting him. The fight was useless and there was no reason for it, just as there was no reason for BGL on Saturday.

Beakermania* 11-03-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing (Post 16148296)
Saturday was an example of a game that was useless for Laraque to be dressed for. He could have had another week to rest his groin and the Isles probably woouldn't have dressed Fritz if Laraque wasn't dressing. Even if Fritz was dressed, if he had nobody to tangle with he would barely have played. As it was, Big George allowed Fritz to make a name for himself by fighting him. The fight was useless and there was no reason for it, just as there was no reason for BGL on Saturday.

I wouldn't say the fight was useless... Laraque fought immediately after the Isles 3rd goal... he was trying to spark the team as we were playing poorly at the time...

The thought and the effort to get something going was there, but it didn't work out. It took the Streit highstick later on Kovalev to really wake our team up.

CanadienErrant* 11-03-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing (Post 16148296)
Laraque doesn't have the skill, nor does he deserve, to play 82 games with any NHL team. If Carbo is wise he'll pick his spots. All other things being equal, the lines should be:

Plekanec-Kovalev-A. Kost
Koivu-Tanguay-Higgins
Lang-S. Kost-Latendresse
Lapierre-Kostopoulos-x

x should = Laraque when the Habs are playing a team like the Bruins and Flyers, it should be Begin when you need a little grit/agitation, but not a fighter per se, and it should be Dandenault when a D-man is a little sore or we need a bit more speed.

You said the right word: "USELESS". If the Habs would have no goon, the other teams would not dress theirs. And if they would, they would find no one to fight with. And Laraque only fights other goons, for the sake of fighting.l If at least he would use his big body to deliver real good thunderous bodychecks like Phaneuf, but he is too slow to connect with opponents.

Too bad he did not sign with Edmonton as he wanted first.

All the Habs needed was a part-time YOUNG enforcer at 500-600 K to play 40 games or so , not a luxury muscleman at 1.5.

Marksman 11-03-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacocat (Post 16148078)

My worry is that he is rather expensive ($1.5 million for 5 minutes every 2 games?), and, as he is getting older, I take it we should expect this to be his best year as a Hab. I think that we are going to desperately want that $1.5 million spent elsewhere many times throughout the next 3 years.

Hes played 7:25 per game and you should add every fighting major he gets into thats, so its more like 10+ minutes per game. :)

googlymoogly 11-03-2008 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfan4 (Post 16148261)
Your comment seems a tad unfair, its pretty difficult to get a 6'3 250lbs frame moving at NHL speed in the best of circumstances, but with a groin injury it's damn near impossible.

Apparently most here don't understand this. The bigger the player the harder it is for them to get back into game shape. We'll see in another 20 games how he's improved, he played on a fast Pittsburgh team last year and was able to play decent for a goon. I thought Begin was worse he seems to have dropped and would rather see Kostopolous.

THE HOFF 11-03-2008 01:46 PM

laraque didnt score, but to me, he played his part in the comeback saturday...

I agree with those who think that its premature to talk about it now... just by wearing a jersey and sitting on the bench, he plays his part...

he dropped the gloves 3-4 times since the season started... he fought in all the games he played in ...except one maybe...

give the guy a break, he's still injured ...

Nedved 11-03-2008 01:46 PM

the only game i enjoyed laraques presence was against the yotes.

Marc the Habs Fan 11-03-2008 01:49 PM

Really getting sick and tired of people always freaking out over small sample sizes around these parts. Especially when the player missed all of training camp.

waffledave 11-03-2008 01:49 PM

He's been just fine to me. No complaints here.

Gros Bill 11-03-2008 01:52 PM

Waste of a roster spot, AFAIC. It.'s unfortunate that Gainey has to resort to this.

Fido22 11-03-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill (Post 16148634)
Waste of a roster spot, AFAIC. It.'s unfortunate that Gainey has to resort to this.

Still hating violence I see Bill. Hate:shakehead

Coco Fever 11-03-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 16148604)
Really getting sick and tired of people always freaking out over small sample sizes around these parts. Especially when the player missed all of training camp.

The fact is today in the NHL, training camps aren't used to "get in shape" anymore...in the 80's-90's maybe, but today you're fighting for your job during training camp and players show up in great shape.

Missing training camp can not get you out of shape. It does affect your "game shape", but not your conditionning.

With the way Carbonneau is using his lines, I think George had a great chance to see more ice-time than he ever did before. Unfortunately, right now he can not follow his team mates...reducing his ice-time. It's too bad, because a George Laraque in great shape would be really useful on the team; I'd like to see him forecheck hard, throw his body (which he can not do cause he's 2 seconds late...), cycle the puck down low in the offensive zone, etc.

He would add another dimension to our very talented first 3 lines. But because he looks out of shape, he can not keep up and be as efficient as he could be.

I still think he's a great addition to the team. But he could bring more.

rocketlives 11-03-2008 02:03 PM

Laraque didn't have much of a training camp, he now weighs in at 250lbs and he's definitely not in playing shape. He has to spend a lot of time with the Habs' head trainer doing push ups and working on the stationary bike in order to shed at least 20 pounds of fat. In the meantime, he's as useless as **** on a bull.