HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any teams interested to Garon? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56924)

daiglek91 02-29-2004 10:19 AM

Any teams interested to Garon?

Since the last 2 years Mathieu has just been a perfect backup goalie for us, but I think it's time for him to pass to another challenge, he can't continue to play 10 to 15 games a year, he's to good for that! And I'd be very interested to see Garon against Theodore one day! And I think Fichaud or Damphousse can replace a part of him, for now.

So that's why I'm wondering if there's team who'd like to Acquire him someday. Or if there's just rumors about him.

BigM1ke 02-29-2004 10:29 AM

I never heard rumors about him. And I don't want him to be traded anyway! We have 2 good goalers and that's one big plus for us.

Habs4ever 02-29-2004 10:31 AM

Not a chance every playoff team has ligitemate backup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokay
Since the last 2 years Mathieu has just been a perfect backup goalie for us, but I think it's time for him to pass to another challenge, he can't continue to play 10 to 15 games a year, he's to good for that! And I'd be very interested to see Garon against Theodore one day! And I think Fichaud or Damphousse can replace a part of him, for now.

So that's why I'm wondering if there's team who'd like to Acquire him someday. Or if there's just rumors about him.

Who do we have after him, none everyone else is too young to take his place, and I don't mind him playing 25 games per year, as with experience, he'll get more confidence from CJ. This days you can't expect anything more then second rounder for goaltender, all of the goaltenders even young once have been traded away this year for nothing more then pick, I'd say we already have enough prospects, so no point in acquiring pick for established player.

daiglek91 02-29-2004 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Who do we have after him, none everyone else is too young to take his place, and I don't mind him playing 25 games per year, as with experience, he'll get more confidence from CJ. This days you can't expect anything more then second rounder for goaltender, all of the goaltenders even young once have been traded away this year for nothing more then pick, I'd say we already have enough prospects, so no point in acquiring pick for established player.

First, I absolutely don't want to trade Garon just to get rid of him. He's done a wonderful job. It's because he's just to good to be there!

And second, his value is not a round pick, he has a bigger value than that. We can have a great player against him. Or maybe put other player(s) and get a very good offensive forward.

daiglek91 02-29-2004 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Not a chance every playoff team has ligitemate backup

And I'm not necessarily talking about playoffs team, and not talking necessarily about being a backup goalie too.

Traitor8 02-29-2004 11:06 AM

I don't care if Garon could do a #1 Job...In Montreal , he's #2 and he will stay like that until we tell him to play more or trade him..Right now, there isn't anybody in the Habs System that could take over Garon's spot...I hope not but in case of injury to Theo, we will get so screwed..but Garon could step up if we have him. I personnally wouldn't trade him until I get a veteran goalie (Fiset type guy) or somthing and the return is decent or good.

Duster 02-29-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I don't care if Garon could do a #1 Job...In Montreal , he's #2 and he will stay like that until we tell him to play more or trade him..Right now, there isn't anybody in the Habs System that could take over Garon's spot...I hope not but in case of injury to Theo, we will get so screwed..but Garon could step up if we have him. I personnally wouldn't trade him until I get a veteran goalie (Fiset type guy) or somthing and the return is decent or good.

I agree with you. The Habs have very good prospect depth at all positions except goal IMO. Michaud is clearly not the solution, nor is Damphousse or Fichaud. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a priority at this year's draft.

Traitor8 02-29-2004 11:54 AM

Halak could step up...in 3 yrs but not now...we will have to get a vet backup.

toughstuff 02-29-2004 12:05 PM

Trading Garon will lead us nowhere. Garon carries no value at all in terms of player return from another team. His value from a habs point of view is undeniable.

Let's just recall what the Stars received for Roman Turek and Manny Fernandez. Also what Colorado got for Marc Denis. (I think they all went for 3rd rounders).

For such a return, I rather have Garon as a "sure bet" back up.

The only way we get a return from our goalie assets will be to include them with other players or trade Theo (will never happen unless the other team is willing to seriously overpay).

Tuggy 02-29-2004 12:56 PM

Probably not in the best interest of the Habs to trade him right now but I am willing to bet that this is his last season in Montreal. He's done a wonderful job as backup and deserves a shot to be #1 somewhere else and I think he will get his shot next season(whenever that is ;) )

plafleur10 02-29-2004 12:58 PM

Garon

Interestingly, in today's Le Journal, Rutheford says one of things his team is looking for is a goaltending partner for Steve Weekes...

Rather Gingerly 1* 02-29-2004 01:09 PM

I can't see Garon having much trade value. Because he has only been a backup. So, I would keep him instead of trading him for little in return.

He also does a good job for us as backup and makes a reasonable salary. There's no sense in rocking the boat

Corey 02-29-2004 02:00 PM

I don't think Gainey is considering trading Garon.

As for Carolina, they may need a backup, but as everyone could plainly see last night, Kevin Weekes is a very good goaltender. I'm sure the Hurricanes will find a backup at some point. They don't desperately need one right now because they have no chance of making the playoffs this season.

jacklours 02-29-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duster
I agree with you. The Habs have very good prospect depth at all positions except goal IMO. Michaud is clearly not the solution, nor is Damphousse or Fichaud. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a priority at this year's draft.

I really hope that your wrong about that draft thing. Like previously said, goalies in general have no value because every team has so many of them. Plus now it seems any goalie can get red hot for a little while and carry your team.

RE-HABS 02-29-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hokay
First, I absolutely don't want to trade Garon just to get rid of him. He's done a wonderful job. It's because he's just to good to be there!

And second, his value is not a round pick, he has a bigger value than that. We can have a great player against him. Or maybe put other player(s) and get a very good offensive forward.

First off, we need Garon for insurance incase Theo was to get hurt. Fichaud is in the AHL for a reason and so is Damphousse, they are depth goalies in the system until kids like Michaud and when Halak or Puurula come over. There is no interest in the Habs mangement to have them as a #2 on the habs team.

2ndly, Garon hasn not proven or played enough to bring an offesive player or players to our team. he is a good goalie, but he is still unproven in the eyes of NHL management higher ups.

You don't trade an asset you need yourself.

*EDIT*
The Theodore-Garon tandem is probably the best tandem of netminders we have had together in Montreal since Roy-Hayward in the 80's. They were Jennings trophy winners (best GAA) many times and Hayward could have been #1 on many teams but he got his 25-30 games and respected and liked his role which Garon will probably get next season. When Hayward left the Habs his success wasn't as great, I would fear the same fate for an inexperienced Garon.

plafleur10 02-29-2004 03:25 PM

Also...

Let us not forget that Garon cleared waivers last year,so as much as his performance this year has increased his stock,his value has to remain somewhat limited...

tritone 02-29-2004 03:45 PM

Wouldn't

I don't think we could get anywhere close to what he's worth to us in return. If Theo gets injured we need Garon. He's a great back-up but He's not ready to be a NO#1 just yet and other teams know that. Best leave him here because we wouldn't get anything more than a player that everyone would want to trade after a few months anyway.

Rather Gingerly 1* 02-29-2004 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
I don't think Gainey is considering trading Garon.

As for Carolina, they may need a backup, but as everyone could plainly see last night, Kevin Weekes is a very good goaltender. I'm sure the Hurricanes will find a backup at some point. They don't desperately need one right now because they have no chance of making the playoffs this season.

Good to hear Carolina was interested in Garon though. Rutherford did a fine job picking out Kevin Weekes. Weekes had bounced around quite a bit before finally landing in Carolina

daiglek91 02-29-2004 04:17 PM

Thanks guys, You all seem to agree on one point, we must keep Garon. But if he's traded (even if we want to keep him) to a team where he can be the no 1 goalie, do you think he can do the job? :dunno:

Flambergius 03-01-2004 07:50 AM

Do you protect Garon in next waiver draft?

Garon did clear the waivers last year but I don't think that will happen next time (before 2004-2005 season). So the question becomes: do you protect him or do you trade him before the waivers?

Montreal does have some depth so it's likely that they will lose the best player they expose. (Of course, having Garon around at that time could be considered as having value, a la Vokoun in that expansion draft.)

Garon's value in a trade is probably pretty low and it's really hard to estimate if it will be higher at trade deadline or during off-season. Nevertheless, he could have some value if a right trading partner could be found.

Of the usual suspects Rangers and Carolina are unlikely to be interested.

Washington will trade Kolzig, they might like to have Garon.

St. Louis will probably be too preoccupied to trade, but they should be interested in potential top goalie, because what they have now is holding them back. They have still 4 games before the deadline and might be effectively out of playoffs if they continue to lose like they did last week.

Minnesota has solid goal-tending in Roloson, but he is 34.

That's pretty slim ... also Montreal would have to get a veteran back-up (Dafoe?), which of course is fairly easy, if they are willing to pay his salary. It does look like that Garon has his best value in Montreal, until the off-season at least.

--Flam

PS. If it seems that I started out as pro-trade and finished against it ... well, that would be the correct impression. :-)