HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sather Screwed Us (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=569250)

MSG the place to be* 11-04-2008 08:44 PM

Sather Screwed Us

We are a system team even though we have only seen it executed sparingly this season. Get to the puck first, put on relentless pressure, move the puck up ice with transition, etc.

So why the hell did we waste HUUUUGE amounts of cap space on players who reap such little benefits. Im talking about Redden, Rozsival and Drury.

The bottom line is we only give ourselves a chance to win when the facets listed above are on display. Then we also are able to steal victories when 3 guys, count them 3, are on their game even if the team isnt firing on all cylinders - Lundqvist Gomez and Zherdev.

The fact that we have close to 19 million dollars locked up in 3 guys who are only good as part of the team game but really dont have one ounce of game breaking ability in their bodies is mind-boggling.

What other teams even have 3 guys making 19 million+, detroit, pittsburgh....without looking it up its probably not more than 5. now go through those teams and see if those players are solid citizens who blend in with the team or do they put the team on their back more often than not.

I know (read: hope) I am preaching to the choir. The bottom line is that even though the first 13 games were a lot of fun watching the wins pile up, how can we really have high expectations and more importantly how can we not be extremely scared of the future when these 3 guys [B]decline as they age[B]

oyyyyy

qwertyaas 11-04-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 16170595)
I know (read: hope) I am preaching to the choir. The bottom line is that even though the first 13 games were a lot of fun watching the wins pile up, how can we really have high expectations and more importantly how can we not be extremely scared of the future when these 3 guys decline as they age

So you are trying to say you would rather have Datsyuk/Hossa/Lidstrom/Zetterberg, Malkin/Crosby/Gonchar, Ovechkin/Semin/Backstrom/Green over our FA signings? Are you crazy? Oh wait :sarcasm:

I Am Chariot 11-04-2008 08:52 PM

1. Sather thought he had Jagr for another year. Its obvious now more than ever. He thought Jagr would stay and take the smaller piece of pie

2. They've coveted Redden a long time. It was too hard to say no. Hes been "ok". Hes not the impact player perhaps he should be for that $$$ but its still early in the season.

3. Drury will earn his $$$

4. See #1

z1co80 11-04-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodhisattva (Post 16170757)
1. Sather thought he had Jagr for another year. Its obvious now more than ever. He thought Jagr would stay and take the smaller piece of pie

2. They've coveted Redden a long time. It was too hard to say no. Hes been "ok". Hes not the impact player perhaps he should be for that $$$ but its still early in the season.

4. See #1

Intangibles?

Tim* 11-04-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodhisattva (Post 16170757)

Ya man. Drury will and IS worth every Penny. just wait till the Playoffs which we Should make as the Atlantic Champs

MSG the place to be* 11-04-2008 08:56 PM

to follow up cause my thoughts get really jumbled after losses (and in general)...

if we want to get guys with good first passes, good faceoffs, and every other quality that eludes the question of - CAN THE GUY PLAY - thats fine for your 2-3 million depth guys.

When you dish out the big bucks its because the guy has a presence (no not in the locker room) and you can actually say "this guy will help us win because he scores", not "this guy is one of the best first passers in the league hooray"

jBuds 11-04-2008 08:58 PM

If you're using the "system" argument, how does it apply to Drury? Because he fits "too well" in a defensive minded scheme? Please explain..

Vitto79 11-04-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertyaas (Post 16170726)
So you are trying to say you would rather have Datsyuk/Hossa/Lidstrom/Zetterberg, Malkin/Crosby/Gonchar, Ovechkin/Semin/Backstrom/Green over our FA signings? Are you crazy? Oh wait :sarcasm:

people are hillarious........u do understand they are all draft picks right

why are people so mad?........the record is still solid, last two games blew hardcore yes but they will bounce back

not sure why people worry about the cap. Rozi if they want to deal him would EASILY be moved at that rate

qwertyaas 11-04-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 16171008)
people are hillarious........u do understand they are all draft picks right

why are people so mad?........the record is still solid, last two games blew hardcore yes but they will bounce back

not sure why people worry about the cap. Rozi if they want to deal him would EASILY be moved at that rate

Draft picks or not, comparing the core of a team is still a fair comparison.

People are worried about the cap when you sign players to multi-year deals with a NTC/NMC attached to it. How about we pick up a FA to replace our homegrown players. Prucha says hi (I guess replacing him by Shanny did wonders for him).

What you don't realize is that this record does not reflect the teams play. Do you honestly think this team played like a team that was 10-2-1 for the most part? Most games were extremely close.

Hell, Devils beat Atlanta 6-1, Philly won 7-0, we won 3-2...

This team does have the pieces, but they just seem so lost some times. How hard is it to just get shots on goal during the PP. Our PK is excellent, as is our even-strength defensively. If we had a PP going, then this team would look like the 10-2-1 that our record showed.

John Torturella 11-04-2008 10:09 PM

Where were these threads last week?

thescout23 11-04-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motime42 (Post 16172295)
Where were these threads last week?

Exactly. Please, the sky is not falling.

mygameworn 11-04-2008 11:20 PM

Best team in the league and your bi*ching. It could be worse you could be the Islanders

hlundqvist30* 11-04-2008 11:28 PM

http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Li...ky-Falling.jpg

I Am Chariot 11-04-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fata44 (Post 16173580)
Best team in the league and your bi*ching. It could be worse you could be the Islanders

I love this franchise, but they are not the best team in the NHL. You have not been paying attention.

The Thomas J.* 11-05-2008 12:11 AM

I Think we need to trade one of our centers & no, It's not Blair Betts..or Dubi. Either Gomez or Drury have to go, both these guys don't fit well together on the same team.

Just thinking outloud, could you imagine a Dubi-Jagr-Zederv line.
Ohhhhh baby Ahhhhhh what could have been.

Sather should have given Jagr what he wanted, let Rosi go & he still would have had Redden & Naslund.

I Am Chariot 11-05-2008 12:51 AM

Keep Jagr, replace Shanny and Straka with Zherdev and Naslund

Naslund Dubi Jagr

Drury Gomez Zherdev

Callahan Korpi Prucha

Sjo Betts Orr

The Thomas J.* 11-05-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodhisattva (Post 16174885)
Keep Jagr, replace Shanny and Straka with Zherdev and Naslund

Naslund Dubi Jagr

Drury Gomez Zherdev

Callahan Korpi Prucha

Sjo Betts Orr

nooo VOROS?

The Khan 11-05-2008 05:49 AM

I wouldn't say he screwed us but has he handled the FA signing well? I don't think so.

Last season we were waiting for a big sign to fill our gap at center. I was waiting that Sather would sign Gomez or Drury and re-sign Nylander for a couple of years. Back then I wanted Nyls because he was great with Jagr and Drury to be our 2nd line center and help our PK that needed it, maybe 5M each with Nyls contract not being more than 2 years. About Gomez it is always hard to see a former NJ player signing for us. On July 1st when I saw that Sather signed Gomez and Drury for more than 7M each I just :shakehead why both and why so much overpaid?
I learned to like Gomer he works hard and gave speed to the team, is a great playmaker and helps a lot in the PK also. It's true that back then we didn't knew how great Dubi would turn and with those 2 guys we can have our 1st and 2nd line center filled for many years. With that we have a 3rd line center getting 7M until 2012. Drury is a hard work guy, good all around player but he is no star player and doesn't deserve by any means to be paid 7M and by now we have players that can do is job for less. We have other guys that can step up as captain, our PK has been great and we are rotating 3 lines so we don't depend on him, and in front he never produced enough to be a star player. I am not saying he isn't a good player but in a salary cap situation and with guys like Gomer and Dubi we can't afford to have Drury getting 7M and for so long.

That was last season free agency. This season was the same, we needed some dman to boost our PP and Sather signed Redden after 2 bad seasons in Ottawa for the same 6.5M he was earning and again big mistake until 2014 if he sucks what will we do with that contract? I don't really think he sucked until now but has he been a factor? Has he helped us where we really needed? Not much.
To get this even worse Sather signed also Roszival and for how? 5M until 2012 once again why Redden and Rozsival? We are giving 15M to 2 C and 11.5M for 2 Dmans. And even after signing those two he got Kalinin that is not known to be a stay at home D and the only upside he has on his game is the offense. Kalinin isn't even seeing PP time so why do we signed him?

I will not talk about Naslund because he is doing his job ok not great but I can stand it just think we signed him 1 year to much.

We are now near the cap and none of our highly paid players is ending his contract this season. I don't think the salary cap will rise next season I am even afraid that it takes a cut. It is not easy in the post-lockout nhl to trade players with big contracts so we might get stuck with those guys. And at the end of this season we will have to resign Dubi and Zherdev and they will have to get a pay rise. We also have Mara, Callahan, Betts, Korpedo, Dawes, Sjo, Prucha, Fritsche, Orr, Kalinin and Valiquette ending their contracts. At least the first 4 we should resign and maybe Dawes.

About the last two games. Those were two really hard losses to take but at the end of the season we will be once again getting one of the last spots to the playoffs.
The team isn't as good as the standings ar showing now but we are still a playoffs team as long as we have the best goalie in the league. But it will be once again a hard season with a lot of frustrating moments, we will be all season getting 40 shots to whatever goalie on the other team to score 1 or 2 goals a night and just need to rely on Lundy to keep us on the game and he will do it even with the December slump that is coming (hope not).

Sad London Ranger 11-05-2008 08:22 AM

as much as I do miss JJ honestly I don't think in retrospect that he would have signed for same or less money here. Some of the stuff i have learned in Prague about his rather difficult financial situation leads me now to believe that the only thing he really end up caring about was to get as much money as possible.

Having said all that as we can see there is no guarantee he will end up getting the promissed cash in Siberia. The Oligarchs are vulnerable too.

Shake and Bake 11-05-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwertyaas (Post 16171167)
Draft picks or not, comparing the core of a team is still a fair comparison.

People are worried about the cap when you sign players to multi-year deals with a NTC/NMC attached to it. How about we pick up a FA to replace our homegrown players. Prucha says hi (I guess replacing him by Shanny did wonders for him).

What you don't realize is that this record does not reflect the teams play. Do you honestly think this team played like a team that was 10-2-1 for the most part? Most games were extremely close.

Hell, Devils beat Atlanta 6-1, Philly won 7-0, we won 3-2...

This team does have the pieces, but they just seem so lost some times. How hard is it to just get shots on goal during the PP. Our PK is excellent, as is our even-strength defensively. If we had a PP going, then this team would look like the 10-2-1 that our record showed.

and we beat the devils 4-1 and filthy 4-3....dont get worked up over that

JerseyRangers 11-05-2008 10:25 AM

This gets my vote for most useless thread. Lets see we've made the playoffs the last three years and we are off to a pretty good start this year even though we have one of the youngest teams in the NHL. Yep, I see where you are coming from -- definetely screwed. Don't know about you guys but I'd gladly trade our team and future for the Fishies!! What a joke! :shakehead

rvdnsx 11-05-2008 10:35 AM

Another thing about keeping Jagr is that part of the reason Cherepanov stayed in Russia was to play with Jagr his idol. If Jagr stayed in NY, there could have been an outside chance he could have been with the Rangers this season...RIP