HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Wood end plug, or Composite end plug? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=569881)

hock49 11-06-2008 10:21 PM

Wood end plug, or Composite end plug?
 
There isn't alot of talk about end plugs out there and I'm curious to know what players are using....Wood or Composite? Why? & Does it really matter?

noobman 11-06-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hock49 (Post 16201584)
There isn't alot of talk about end plugs out there and I'm curious to know what players are using....Wood or Composite? Why? & Does it really matter?

I figure that a composite end plug is lighter, and thus less likely to throw off the stick's balance.

I have a one piece stick with just a cap over the end... though now that you mention it, an end plus is a great way to lengthen it if I grow anymore (I'd love to be 6'4...)

XweekendwarriorX 11-06-2008 10:30 PM

i use to play with no end plug but i started using the little plug given inside the OPS. ill only use a wooden plug to make the stick longer

hock49 11-06-2008 10:43 PM

RE:Wood or Composite
 
I've used wood end plugs, but I have never used composite. I know there are specialty plugs out there, I'm just wondering if anyone has used both. I know wood sticks are heavier, and Composite sticks are lighter. It just seems that a composite plug might be more consistent with balance and weight. any thoughts?

We'reGonnaWin* 11-07-2008 02:54 AM

If your stick is balance in a manner that makes it really blade-heavy, you might want a wood plug to balance that out. However, if you just want to lengthen the stick without affecting the weight too much -- go for a composite plug.

StrykerB 11-07-2008 06:29 AM

Wood or Composite - Added weight
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delorme (Post 16204704)
If your stick is balance in a manner that makes it really blade-heavy, you might want a wood plug to balance that out. However, if you just want to lengthen the stick without affecting the weight too much -- go for a composite plug.

I find that added weight from a plug in the top doesn't affect me at all as compared to any extra weight down low near the blade. So I use a slightly weighted plug. Blade stiffness is a really big factor for me. Some sticks with really light blades flex WAY too much on slapshots. I get a stiffer blade stick and put a slightly weighted grip in the end. This way I get the best of both worlds, a stiffer and lighter blade light feel.

The wood plugs feel way too stiff for me. I use a composite grip with a bit more weight and it really makes the balance on my S17 feel lighter than ever.

iceman_88888888 11-07-2008 12:10 PM

composite plugs are awesome because they don't throw the balance off of a well balanced stick. but i find that most sticks now come with a cap instead of a plug. i was under the assumption that the end plug is there only for 2 reasons: to act as a dampener and to make the end a little safer (so you don't have a jagged end).

CaptBrannigan 11-07-2008 01:26 PM

If you're experimenting with stick length, go with a wood plug. Cuts easier and cleaner, i.e. no jagged edges.

StrykerB 11-07-2008 01:58 PM

Your not supposed to cut the one that I use. It will mess up the flex of the grip.

cptjeff 11-07-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrykerB (Post 16209196)
Your not supposed to cut the one that I use. It will mess up the flex of the grip.

So? The primary area you need to be worried about in terms of flex is lower on the shaft where the kickpoint is and all of the force is concentrated. There's very little energy stored at the extreme handle end.

Wood makes much more sense. You don't need that much flex up in the handle area, and it's cheaper, not to mention that you can carve it to your hand shape and all of that. Add to that that the weight is virtually unnoticeable on the part in your hand, and I don't see much reason to use a composite one.

The only thing I can see those composite ones being useful for is if you like the shaped hand grip thing and are actually going to cut down your shaft to use one. If you're simply extending a stick, there's no need for it.

I've never needed one though, being a short guy who cuts sticks down. But why would you waste your money on anything but wood?

StrykerB 11-07-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 16210541)
So? The primary area you need to be worried about in terms of flex is lower on the shaft where the kickpoint is and all of the force is concentrated. There's very little energy stored at the extreme handle end.

Wood makes much more sense. You don't need that much flex up in the handle area, and it's cheaper, not to mention that you can carve it to your hand shape and all of that. Add to that that the weight is virtually unnoticeable on the part in your hand, and I don't see much reason to use a composite one.

The only thing I can see those composite ones being useful for is if you like the shaped hand grip thing and are actually going to cut down your shaft to use one. If you're simply extending a stick, there's no need for it.

I've never needed one though, being a short guy who cuts sticks down. But why would you waste your money on anything but wood?

Trust me. I use it and it works. And not just a little. A lot. Read what they say. It is something about being an extension of your wrist. It sounded messed up to me at first. But when you think about it and break down how you shoot, it all makes sense.

xeric716x 11-07-2008 08:36 PM

no plug, just cut the stick and tape it up.

db88 11-08-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x eric x (Post 16214365)
no plug, just cut the stick and tape it up.

some people need extensions... for example. im 6'4".

LA Kings Hockey 05-29-2011 09:50 PM

Not to bring up a new topic but what is the point of an end plug

FANonymous 05-29-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Kings Hockey (Post 33308240)
Not to bring up a new topic but what is the point of an end plug

It's used to plug the end.

Jimmy Carter 05-29-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Kings Hockey (Post 33308240)
Not to bring up a new topic but what is the point of an end plug

To lengthen a stick

raygunpk 05-30-2011 10:10 AM

Or to create a more balanced or blade-light stick. Some NHL players have done this, Datsyuk and Lidstrom off the top of my head.

Narut 05-30-2011 11:24 AM

i use wood plugs because it seems to me that the stick vibrates much less than without.

i always thought that these short plugs are only there for this reason (and lengthen the stick of course), but iam wrong as it seems

AIREAYE 05-30-2011 01:48 PM

It lengthens and makes the stick slightly whippier. And as for the debate about cutting wooden plugs...there is none; they were meant to be cut; the wooden ones at least.

CarvinSigX 05-30-2011 03:00 PM

I'm 6'0", and I use a wood plug in Warrior sticks. I cut the plug to give me a 60"-62" long shaft. I've only broke one plug, and it was after a guy taught me how to fully load up on my slap shot. 3 years of playing, and one broken plug isn't too bad considering I payed like $2 for each plug.

hubby1746 05-30-2011 03:15 PM

What do end plugs do? I mean the caps not the extensions. Ive seen a few NHL players used sticks and some of them dont have anything...its just a hole.

The Tikkanen 05-30-2011 03:20 PM

I use the composite plugs. Have to cut them about half way down, found they are much easier to cut with my saw than wood plugs since they are hollow. Just fire it up, a little bit of pressure and it's cut.

CarvinSigX 05-30-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 33317343)
I use the composite plugs. Have to cut them about half way down, found they are much easier to cut with my saw than wood plugs since they are hollow. Just fire it up, a little bit of pressure and it's cut.

Use a mitre saw...Guaranteed straight cut, and it's done in less than a second. :)

kr580 05-30-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubby1746 (Post 33317271)
What do end plugs do? I mean the caps not the extensions. Ive seen a few NHL players used sticks and some of them dont have anything...its just a hole.

I imagine it's just to cap off the sharp edges of the shaft. I wouldn't want a jagged cut to wear thru the tape job or my gloves over time. No idea other than that.

AIREAYE 05-30-2011 04:22 PM

The caps are a safety measure, some leagues requires them to be put on so there are no risk of cuts from the edges. Some players prefer them off for stick feel, but I haven't tried so I can't really say anything about that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.