HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   When will Sather pull the Trigger.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=56990)

L.I.RangerFan 02-29-2004 01:24 PM

When will Sather pull the Trigger....

on himself :handclap:

Or in lesser terms on a trade. Rangers play Atlanta in back to back games this week and could be closer to a top five draft pick then ever before.

Is TLB trying to play other GM's against each other and if he is, it could back fire on him big time. I wish he would either:

A) See my first sentence
B) Stop being so damn arrogant and take a good deal for someone.

dedalus 02-29-2004 02:20 PM

"When will Sather pull the Trigger"?

When he's damn well good and ready, thank you very much. And the sooner fans get off his back and stop booing the team on ice, the sooner they'll get to the Stanley Cup finals.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-29-2004 03:20 PM

He better pull the trigger before someone gets hurt (yes you Alex Kovalev).

nyr5186 02-29-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
He better pull the trigger before someone gets hurt (yes you Alex Kovalev).

That would be so typical of the Rangers. Same thing happened with Dvorak and Lindros. Think of how much interest we'd be getting for Lindros if he didnt get injured. He'd probably bring back at least as much as Kovalev judging by his play this season. Now he'll bring back a conditional pick at most.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
That would be so typical of the Rangers. Same thing happened with Dvorak and Lindros. Think of how much interest we'd be getting for Lindros if he didnt get injured. He'd probably bring back at least as much as Kovalev judging by his play this season. Now he'll bring back a conditional pick at most.

well rucinsky, kovalev, and malakhov all seemed to be injured today luckily nothing was serious, sather better move one of these guys preferably kovalev before the next atlanta game and at this point all id like is a younger player and a pick

there is another rumor that the oilers and toronto is interested in nedved... would you guys want antropov and something else for nedved? i think id do it, heck they can have hlavac as well!

Mark Pavelich 02-29-2004 05:35 PM

My Guess is he'll start trying to make deals on March 10th and when he's told he is a day late he will blame the fans and broken sticks.

Son of Steinbrenner 02-29-2004 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janerixon
well rucinsky, kovalev, and malakhov all seemed to be injured today luckily nothing was serious, sather better move one of these guys preferably kovalev before the next atlanta game and at this point all id like is a younger player and a pick

there is another rumor that the oilers and toronto is interested in nedved... would you guys want antropov and something else for nedved? i think id do it, heck they can have hlavac as well!

antropov for nedved???
toronto would never do that.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
antropov for nedved???
toronto would never do that.

word has it they have interest in nedved for some reason... go to spectorshockey.net for its under todays date and i have heard this before. it makes no sense to me but they have been hit by injuries all season and getting a center who can score who clearly just needs a change isnt too much of a risk for a rental

and they have been trying to deal antropov for the last 2 years, maybe wed have to throw in a defensemen... i think the trades will start to pick up once gonchar is dealt because he is the d-man the leafs, devils, bruins, and toronto want... my guess says the avs beat everyone to him!

Son of Steinbrenner 02-29-2004 05:55 PM

Quote:

word has it they have interest in nedved for some reason... go to spectorshockey.net for its under todays date and i have heard this before. it makes no sense to me but they have been hit by injuries all season and getting a center who can score who clearly just needs a change isnt too much of a risk for a rental

and they have been trying to deal antropov for the last 2 years, maybe wed have to throw in a defensemen... i think the trades will start to pick up once gonchar is dealt because he is the d-man the leafs, devils, bruins, and toronto want... my guess says the avs beat everyone to him!

i just posted nedved for antropov on the leafs board. i bet i get flamed (its ok i'm used to it :) ) there is not way the leafs make that trade. i wish they would but its just not fair to the leafs.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i just posted nedved for antropov on the leafs board. i bet i get flamed (its ok i'm used to it :) ) there is not way the leafs make that trade. i wish they would but its just not fair to the leafs.

son
id be more than glad to include a defensemen in that deal going to the leafs be it malakhov maybe even mironov, possibly even purinton if they throw in something else

rumor is they have some interest in nedved and antropov is a player who is young and could help us if he can stay healthy and he isnt one of their core players its not like im asking for stajan!

DarthSather99 02-29-2004 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr4life5186

What about Richter ..... we could have had Jackman ......

Edge 02-29-2004 06:45 PM

rangers = eternally overplaying their hand.

i expect no different this year.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
rangers = eternally overplaying their hand.

i expect no different this year.

edge is 100% right
sather is going to wait until the last minute and that is very foolish with a washington firesale in the process, irbe in the minors ready to go to a contender as a solid backup, tampa who needs a top 6 foward ready to deal for prospal, plus the possibility of an injury before march 9th

sather better make a deal or two ASAP

Edge 02-29-2004 06:54 PM

i have a feeling this deadline is gonna pass and this board will light up about complaints on how this team couldnt clear some names out of here.

I expect it.

Though mark my words, if this team finishes with a top 5 draft pick, sather will not around for the kids first training camp.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

i have a feeling this deadline is gonna pass and this board will light up about complaints on how this team couldnt clear some names out of here.

I expect it.

Though mark my words, if this team finishes with a top 5 draft pick, sather will not around for the kids first training camp.

edge who do u think they wont be able to move?

i dont think sather is going to move leetch
here is who i can realistically see being dealt, to where and for what im not sure but here they are
1) kovalev
2) malakhov
3) nedved
4) rucinsky
5) mironov

who can u see being moved?

Edge 02-29-2004 07:17 PM

well i think there is a fine line between could be moved and will be moved.

leetch could be moved, but probably won't be.

Neved could be moved to either toronto, san jose or even vancouver.

ditto for kovalev though add detroit to that mix.

messier could go to ottawa and a dark horse is philly believe it or not.

its really hard to say with the rest they could go anywhere.

i think barnaby will be traded as will simon {possibly to the avs or flames}.

i think poti could be going somewhere too. i dont see him heading to philly though.

one player not many people have talked about is devries who has a reasonable contract and has been solid this season.

Barnaby 02-29-2004 07:21 PM

Quote:

one player not many people have talked about is devries who has a reasonable contract and has been solid this season.

I keep DeVries. I dont think you could get enough for him to make it worth trading our most solid d-man. Obviously if Toronto offers a guy like Stajan then you take it, but that probably wont happen, and I just dont see moving him for a mid-level prospect or mid pick.

Edge 02-29-2004 07:24 PM

lol what good does a 31 year old solid defenseman do for a team that isnt going anywhere for the next several years. we arent gonna build around, he's not 25. We arent gonna make the playoffs, they might as well move him.

you might as well move him for a midlevel pick or a younger player, when you're out of the playoffs you arent exactly dealing from a position of power. not trading him is only going to prolong his rangers stint because this is going nowhere next season as well, which means he still won't serve any good.

Face this team is gonna be in the basement for at least another season or two and by then Devries is 34ish.

Barnaby 02-29-2004 07:39 PM

Quote:

lol what good does a 31 year old solid defenseman do for a team that isnt going anywhere for the next several years. we arent gonna build around, he's not 25. We arent gonna make the playoffs, they might as well move him.

you might as well move him for a midlevel pick or a younger player, when you're out of the playoffs you arent exactly dealing from a position of power. not trading him is only going to prolong his rangers stint because this is going nowhere next season as well, which means he still won't serve any good.

Face this team is gonna be in the basement for at least another season or two and by then Devries is 34ish.

If you get good value then do it, but I dont think its wise to move the best defensive d-man you have for a 4th rounder. Like it or not Dolan isnt gonna let the Rangers go low enough to build like Ottawa did for all those seasons. Id rather keep DeVries then see the Rangers spend 8 million for Bob Boughner.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 07:43 PM

Quote:

edge
i have to disagree de Vries is pretty important to keeping our defense respectable (ha - i mean the hope of keeping it respectable if we get a new coach) and i dont just want to play leetch and kasper with 4 young kids thats just asking for their careers to be ruined

besides if we are going to keep leetch and kasper keeping de Vries isnt going to hurt us at all

Edge 02-29-2004 07:47 PM

respectable? the team hasnt made the playoffs in 7 years, i think you'd have an easier time being the publicist for mike tyson.

i dont think we need to play kids, but trade the veteran assets we have, add a prospect or two and fill the defense with cheaper alternatives while they devleop. if you're gonna miss the playoffs why not at least get some young quality.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

respectable? the team hasnt made the playoffs in 7 years, i think you'd have an easier time being the publicist for mike tyson.

i dont think we need to play kids, but trade the veteran assets we have, add a prospect or two and fill the defense with cheaper alternatives while they devleop. if you're gonna miss the playoffs why not at least get some young quality.

i never said this corp was respectable... i said the hope of keeping it respectable

look we cant go with all kids, if we can get a solid younger defensemen for de Vries then im in, but we cant completely gut this team since we are going to be stuck with jagr, holik, and kasper... if we were going to have a complete firesale than yes id agree, but we arent and u know if there is a season next year this team no matter how many new faces will be aiming for the playoffs

id keep de vries, markkanen, barnaby, simon, rucinsky, and leetch along with the 3 untradeables (kasper, holik, jagr) and the kids like ortmeyer, lundmark, tyutin, and lacouture

jas 02-29-2004 08:03 PM

There is no point to keep...

Quote:

i never said this corp was respectable... i said the hope of keeping it respectable

look we cant go with all kids, if we can get a solid younger defensemen for de Vries then im in, but we cant completely gut this team since we are going to be stuck with jagr, holik, and kasper... if we were going to have a complete firesale than yes id agree, but we arent and u know if there is a season next year this team no matter how many new faces will be aiming for the playoffs

id keep de vries, markkanen, barnaby, simon, rucinsky, and leetch along with the 3 untradeables (kasper, holik, jagr) and the kids like ortmeyer, lundmark, tyutin, and lacouture

Simon, Barnaby or Rucinsky at this point. they all become UFAs at the end of the year, and just because they stick to the end of the year doesn't mean the Rangers are inclined to keep them. If you can get a #3 pick for any of them, you jump at it. If any of them love NY so much, well, sign them back in the off-season.

Janerixon 02-29-2004 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
Simon, Barnaby or Rucinsky at this point. they all become UFAs at the end of the year, and just because they stick to the end of the year doesn't mean the Rangers are inclined to keep them. If you can get a #3 pick for any of them, you jump at it. If any of them love NY so much, well, sign them back in the off-season.

jas
i agree with you 100% but you know we wont get a 3rd rnd pick for any of them or even a top prospect, barnaby has the most value out of all of them and i cant imagine we could get even a 4th for him

my point about people we should keep around is based only on the fact that due to the fact of the big 3's salaries (holik, jagr and kasper) are unmovable and the fact that this is NY and we will never completely rebuild, id like to keep some of the guys who show up on a nightly basis

again id trade any of those 3 for the right price, but im not going to trade them for crap, id like to keep those 3 around until the end and re-sign them unless the deal is good

Edge 02-29-2004 08:24 PM

i say devries mainly because he actually has some value which will help more than say trading mironov and company.

but see that is the fine line, what the rangers should do and what the rangers will do.