HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lundqvist Glove Improvement. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=569943)

FromTheSide 11-07-2008 03:24 AM

Lundqvist Glove Improvement.

I'm surprised there has not been a topic on this.

Anyway,as everybody knew or should have known lundqvists weakness last year and back was always the glove he never seemed to have that completly down,but this season i gotta say it looks like a GREAT improvement this season.
(rob lecavalier anyone?)

Inferno 11-07-2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger (Post 16204766)
I'm surprised there has not been a topic on this.

Anyway,as everybody knew or should have known lundqvists weakness last year and back was always the glove he never seemed to have that completly down,but this season i gotta say it looks like a GREAT improvement this season.
(rob lecavalier anyone?)

its never really been a weakness (imho). the issue he has, and has always had, is that his glove is super super stiff. he cant squeeze the pucks like vally can, so that his glove hand is more like a huge blocker instead of a catching device. it really shows when he tries to make a glove save, he can't really squeeze the puck at all.

i never understood why he preferred to play like that, but i guess thats his choice. im not a goalie, so i dont really know why they do the things they do. but i would assume a less stiff glove would improve his ability to hold the pucks better, and to stick handle and make long passes if necessary.

mrhockey193195 11-07-2008 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 16204802)
its never really been a weakness (imho). the issue he has, and has always had, is that his glove is super super stiff. he cant squeeze the pucks like vally can, so that his glove hand is more like a huge blocker instead of a catching device. it really shows when he tries to make a glove save, he can't really squeeze the puck at all.

i never understood why he preferred to play like that, but i guess thats his choice. im not a goalie, so i dont really know why they do the things they do. but i would assume a less stiff glove would improve his ability to hold the pucks better, and to stick handle and make long passes if necessary.

Agreed, but I personally saw a change in Henrik's glove hand ability over the years. IMO, he was great his rookie year with the glove, and made many highlight reel saves. Then, the past two years, it was exposed as a weaker part to his game (don't know why, maybe just teams were firing a higher percentage of shots up there since he was stopping everything down low).

LyNX27 11-07-2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 (Post 16204840)
Agreed, but I personally saw a change in Henrik's glove hand ability over the years. IMO, he was great his rookie year with the glove, and made many highlight reel saves. Then, the past two years, it was exposed as a weaker part to his game (don't know why, maybe just teams were firing a higher percentage of shots up there since he was stopping everything down low).

I have a feeling it might just be one of those... Bigger is better kinda things, but its just a personal choice for a reason that is between him and Benoit.

Maybe to keep the play going, in an effort in handing the puck off. It hasn't really presented a problem which is why no ones made much fuss over it.

If it had dropped out and gotten stuff in the back of the net a few times someone might have said something, but as far as i know, that has yet to happen.

ThirdEye 11-07-2008 08:46 AM

I'm also not as terrified when he goes to play the puck these days

we want cup 11-07-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdEye (Post 16205662)

he's been VERY adventurous this year, and my heart skips a beat every time, but so far nothing had wound up in the net....

Ola 11-07-2008 08:59 AM

Yeah, he have actually been able to hold on to a puck or two this season... ;)

clmetsfan 11-07-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

I was thinking about that last night as well. I used to cringe every time he went out to play the puck, but he's being much more reliable with it these days.

007 11-07-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 16204802)

I think his glove hand has improved a great deal.

I, for one, thought it was a serious weakness, whatever the reason for it. Previously he was Úlite in all other aspects of the game and merely above average at best with his glove in previous seasons. This season I've actually seen some really nice glove saves.

Fortunately, he doesn't need the world's greatest glove hand, anyway, as he has such great positioning and plays such a compact style.

Stepan Razor 11-07-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 16205743)
he's been VERY adventurous this year, and my heart skips a beat every time, but so far nothing had wound up in the net....

Actually, in the game where Zherdev scored with 8.1 seconds left to tie it, Lundqvist went back to play the puck with two unguarded Rangers defensemen within 7 feet of him, turned it over, and allowed a goal through traffic.

we want cup 11-07-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Daily (Post 16205852)
Actually, in the game where Zherdev scored with 8.1 seconds left to tie it, Lundqvist went back to play the puck with two unguarded Rangers defensemen within 7 feet of him, turned it over, and allowed a goal through traffic.

i missed that game..... oops...

Stepan Razor 11-07-2008 09:16 AM

Yeah I mean even in the highlights, they failed to show that play but it was instrumental to the goal. We'd forced Pitt to dump the puck in with 5 guys back, and it looked as if Rozsival was going to play it and move the puck up to the center or wing, but Henrik jumped back there and cleared it up the boards. It was a minor hiccup if anything because we did have the whole team back there, but it created the traffic necessary for a weak point shot to get through and into the back of the net.

allstar3970 11-07-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 (Post 16204840)

its a combination of him being so good down low, and him crouching down too much at times last season. He's said now that he's standing taller in net he feels much better up high and actually has better overall mobility. I think this is why he's had more great glove saves this season.

As for his stickwork, i have been impressed over last year...still scares me sometimes, but he's had some excellent long outlet passes on PP's this season.

Celestial Black 11-07-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

I know it is pretty great to see him...glad he worked on that it seems.

nevesis 11-07-2008 12:13 PM

Being a goalie, and knowing alot about Lundqvist here is what I can say.

First of all, if anyone here has ever caught a 100mph stinger in the palm of their hand through a stock pro spec glove, you know the terrible, lingering pain I speak of.

Lundqvist uses a VERY stiff palm not only to protect his hand from the power of a pro shot, but because he also prefers his glove as a blocking tool opposed to purely "catching"

But, the past few seasons the t-trap of Lundqvist's glove was FLAT. Catching pucks was next to impossible.

Has anyone noticed how since Cass (equipment manager) fixed the t-trap in his glove, all of a sudden he is making glove saves that would make Richter proud?

Now, Hank has the best of both worlds, a stiff, protective palmed glove, and big (legal) enough t-trap to allow him to catch pucks.

I smell a Vezina...haha :)

SkerZ 11-07-2008 12:24 PM

IMO he has stepped his glove hand up this year the statement above about how he uses it as a huge blocker is the way i felt for the past few years...Not to say he hasnt done it a few times this season already but he also has made a few nice saves(lecavalier) in which he snapped the glove shut....Either way Hank is the man and his glove stick handeling have all improved

LyNX27 11-07-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZherdeV (Post 16207998)
I smell a Vezina...haha :)

Broduer's outta the mix and Hank has come pretty close to nailing a few shut outs this year but been caught just short.

Vezina is not out of reach by any means at this point.

Cynical TyranT 11-07-2008 01:06 PM

His constantly heading pucks is the funniest thing, however

Inferno 11-07-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT (Post 16208626)
His constantly heading pucks is the funniest thing, however

i absolutely hate it. imagine if he tries that on a dion phaneuf shot.

:amazed:

LyNX27 11-07-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 16209051)

KO :nopity:

ogie 11-07-2008 02:28 PM

glove has definitely improved. now if he could work on his stick handling a bit more he'd be all set. not that i am saying his is bad. But if you look at say DP, when you dump the puck down on him he has the ability to play it up so it limits the chances of the other team recovering in the corner. If Lundqvist could work on that, it would make our defense even better.

FromTheSide 11-07-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 16209502)
glove has definitely improved. now if he could work on his stick handling a bit more he'd be all set. not that i am saying his is bad. But if you look at say DP, when you dump the puck down on him he has the ability to play it up so it limits the chances of the other team recovering in the corner. If Lundqvist could work on that, it would make our defense even better.

Yeah and if you look how many goals DP has given up because of his hog-handling the puck antics you'd change your mind :laugh:

mrhockey193195 11-07-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 16209051)

Agreed. There's some memory I have of a Chris Tamer slapshot and the head of a certain goalie who wore #35 that makes me scared ****less whenever Henke intentionally knocks the puck off his head.

FromTheSide 11-07-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 (Post 16209746)
Agreed. There's some memory I have of a Chris Tamer slapshot and the head of a certain goalie who wore #35 that makes me scared ****less whenever Henke intentionally knocks the puck off his head.

Forget phanouf we have our own slapshot killer in our conference.

Chara? you know that huge sob that broke straka's finger last year?

Cynical TyranT 11-07-2008 04:05 PM

I somehow doubt that Henrik would intentionally head off a monster shot from someone like Chara.... c'mon guys.