HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Begin Speaks to Carbs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=572069)

Giontatas 11-13-2008 08:08 AM

Begin Speaks to Carbs
 
Didn't see it posted -
Quote:

Steve Bégin est le grand perdant dans le jeu de la chaise musicale chez le Canadien. L'attaquant de 30 ans est retranché de la formation plus souvent qu'à son tour par Guy Carbonneau, qui dispose d'un surplus de vétérans.

«Je suis nerveux, même durant les entraînements», a avoué Bégin.
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...avec-carbo.php

Nothing earth-shattering, but interesting to hear what's going on inside his head. I love Begin as a person, but I just think he is beginning to lose his spot on the CH

CH4 11-13-2008 08:13 AM

I guess all players speak regularly to Carbo :sarcasm:

On a serious note he is the odd man out, and as much as I like his heart, Kosto and dandy play better then he does. I hope he plays soon and show that he deserve a spot in the lineup.

wolfinhabsclothing 11-13-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaTender 84 (Post 16298780)
Didn't see it posted -

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...avec-carbo.php

Nothing earth-shattering, but interesting to hear what's going on inside his head. I love Begin as a person, but I just think he is beginning to lose his spot on the CH

There's no doubt about it. He's served us well, but his time is up. I would look for him to be elsewhere, at a reduced salary, next year - or in Europe.

beowulf 11-13-2008 08:30 AM

Good guy to have around in case of injury on the 4th line but not someone I want as a regular these days with the depth the team has.

CH4 11-13-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing (Post 16298853)
There's no doubt about it. He's served us well, but his time is up. I would look for him to be elsewhere, at a reduced salary, next year - or in Europe.

The problem for him is that he doesn't really has the european style of play... but if Dagenais can make it...

habfaninvictoria 11-13-2008 08:39 AM

Could someone be kind enough to translate this please.

waffledave 11-13-2008 08:43 AM

It’s really sad…The guy is a warrior and an absolute beast. But Kostopoulos is younger and better. It’s just natural progression. Begin should honestly just hang em up and maybe see if he can take a position off the ice in the organization. He deserves it…Unfortunately, with the amount of injuries he’s suffered and his chronic back and knee and everything issues, it’s a matter of quality of life for the future. I know he wants to keep playing but a guy like him will want to keep playing until he physically can’t anymore. And he’ll still keep trying, even if he can’t walk.

GoHabs20 11-13-2008 08:49 AM

He has to learn his role, and for now his role is in the pressbox.

:handclap:

If he's not happy he can ask for a trade. :sarcasm:

JrHockeyFan 11-13-2008 08:50 AM

I agree. Begin had a role. He played it to the best of his ability. Unfortunately for him there are others that can do the job better. Harsh fact about life in the bigs

I think he has a chance to play on another team

Darz 11-13-2008 09:03 AM

Players that play like Begin don't usually last a long time in the NHL. It's hard to play 12-15 years in the NHL destroying your body on every shift.

With that being said, you never know how much Begin is going to play this year. 13 games in, everything is clear sailing, but who knows what the future (rest of the year) holds.

TheCH* 11-13-2008 09:04 AM

I don't know why he isn't playing. He is better then Laraque or Dandenault.

fredez 11-13-2008 09:06 AM

Bégin is still one our hardest hitting forward and the true definition of a warrior. He has always served us well in the playoffs and the impact he had on the team when he first arrived was amazing (he was the only gritty player at the time and has such a big heart). I hope he gets some games in, I personnaly prefer him over Dandy and I'm sure there is a way to make him play against grittier teams.

TheCH* 11-13-2008 09:07 AM

He should DEFINITELY play against the bruins tonight. Love him against that team.

habfaninvictoria 11-13-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCH (Post 16299270)
I don't know why he isn't playing. He is better then Laraque or Dandenault.

In your opinion he may be better.
Laraque is a WAY better fighter and doesn't take dumb penalties near the end of periods. Laraque is more of a steadying influence to his linemates and makes the whole team bigger. If you watched the game against Ottawa BGL was on the ice alot in the last few minutes. He calmed things down for both sides. If Begin had been out there he would have been stirring things up and maybe takes a penalty costing a shutout. Certainly Neil would have had a go at him, but he's afraid of BGL.
Dandy is faster and better defensively. He doesn't take as many dumb penalties. He's not as tough as Begin, but, with Laraque out there he only needs to be fast.

Begin will come in handy down the stretch and in a limited role in the playoffs.

TheCH* 11-13-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria (Post 16299478)
In your opinion he may be better.
Laraque is a WAY better fighter and doesn't take dumb penalties near the end of periods. Laraque is more of a steadying influence to his linemates and makes the whole team bigger. If you watched the game against Ottawa BGL was on the ice alot in the last few minutes. He calmed things down for both sides. If Begin had been out there he would have been stirring things up and maybe takes a penalty costing a shutout. Certainly Neil would have had a go at him, but he's afraid of BGL.
Dandy is faster and better defensively. He doesn't take as many dumb penalties. He's not as tough as Begin, but, with Laraque out there he only needs to be fast.

Begin will come in handy down the stretch and in a limited role in the playoffs.

Yeah, lets point out all of the positives in those guys game but none of Begins. Great way to make an "objective" point.

Anyways, i'll just say what you conveniently left out. Begin is more of a spark plug then those guys, hits way harder and way more often and blocks more shots. Dandy is better defensively? I LOL'd! These "dumb penalties" you speak of he takes is just far to overblown on these boards. We have guys on this team that are worse for taking dumb penalties, yet they get a pass.

Ozymandias 11-13-2008 09:55 AM

I feel bad for Bégin. Always liked him a lot. But it's the name of the game. Those are the downsides of having a great team with a lot of depth.

fredez 11-13-2008 10:15 AM

Anyone remember his hit on Maxime Talbot (2-3 years ago maybe?)?. I can't find it anywhere but man that hit was devastating, knocked Talbot out cold.

wolfinhabsclothing 11-13-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCH (Post 16299674)
Yeah, lets point out all of the positives in those guys game but none of Begins. Great way to make an "objective" point.

Anyways, i'll just say what you conveniently left out. Begin is more of a spark plug then those guys, hits way harder and way more often and blocks more shots. Dandy is better defensively? I LOL'd! These "dumb penalties" you speak of he takes is just far to overblown on these boards. We have guys on this team that are worse for taking dumb penalties, yet they get a pass.

I'm with Habfaninvictoria on this one. I think TheCH is remembering Begin the way he was, and not the way he is. Begin doesn't contribute as much as he once did. There are other guys who can play the sparkplug role and hit. At this point having Laraque, Dandenault, Lapierre, and Bouillon in the lineup pretty much covers anything Begin would/could contribute.

Its a sad time in a hockey players life when the organization he's been loyal to no longer needs him, but it IS a reality of professional sports. Like I said, I appreciate all that Begin has done for us (minus the stupid penalties in crucial games) but his time is up. I'm sure he'll fit very nicely on an Atlanta or Columbus next year for $600 K or so.

Habinger 11-13-2008 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria (Post 16299024)
Could someone be kind enough to translate this please.

Here's a tip. Copy and paste the web addy into google, it'll take you to the search results for that page. Just to the right of there is a translate this page link.

Born in 1909 11-13-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCH (Post 16299674)
Yeah, lets point out all of the positives in those guys game but none of Begins. Great way to make an "objective" point.

Anyways, i'll just say what you conveniently left out. Begin is more of a spark plug then those guys, hits way harder and way more often and blocks more shots. Dandy is better defensively? I LOL'd! These "dumb penalties" you speak of he takes is just far to overblown on these boards. We have guys on this team that are worse for taking dumb penalties, yet they get a pass.

Begin....

I was lucky to be at last year's Legendary 6-5 SO win over the Rangers after the Habs had been down 0 - 5 before mounting the amazing 5 goal comeback...

What were the biggest turning points in the game IMO? (other than the Ryder goals)

Komisarek fighting Dubinsky

AND

A series of high energy Begin bodychecks on the Ranger D that woke up the crowd... and the team. :yo:

Steve Begin was a HUGE part of that comeback :handclap:

just sayin'......

mcphee 11-13-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 16299064)
It’s really sad…The guy is a warrior and an absolute beast. But Kostopoulos is younger and better. It’s just natural progression. Begin should honestly just hang em up and maybe see if he can take a position off the ice in the organization. He deserves it…Unfortunately, with the amount of injuries he’s suffered and his chronic back and knee and everything issues, it’s a matter of quality of life for the future. I know he wants to keep playing but a guy like him will want to keep playing until he physically can’t anymore. And he’ll still keep trying, even if he can’t walk.

The guy's making a million bucks. Next year, he should see if the CH make him a minimum offer and if so, sign it, if not his agent should look for offers and when all avenues are exhausted, hang 'em up. When you retire, you retire for a long time, it's time for a guy like him when he's out of options.

If he physically can't, it's different, but he can still play a limited role, though it's tough for a proud guy to understand that.

Analyzer* 11-13-2008 11:07 AM

In the Metro paper, it had an article about Begin not finding it funny.

Maybe we'll unload him for a 7th, or something.

LilWinger11 11-13-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waffledave (Post 16299064)
It’s really sad…The guy is a warrior and an absolute beast. But Kostopoulos is younger and better. It’s just natural progression. Begin should honestly just hang em up and maybe see if he can take a position off the ice in the organization. He deserves it…Unfortunately, with the amount of injuries he’s suffered and his chronic back and knee and everything issues, it’s a matter of quality of life for the future. I know he wants to keep playing but a guy like him will want to keep playing until he physically can’t anymore. And he’ll still keep trying, even if he can’t walk.

Agreed 100%. I love the guy, and he strikes me as the kind of athlete who's gonna have a tough time walking away from playing. But unless Kosto or Dandy is injured, I'm not sure where his place with us is at the moment other than the press box. Swap him into the lineup every couple of weeks to keep in sharp; who knows, we may be very glad to have him later in the season in case of injuries, especially if we can unload Dandy somewhere at the deadline. It really sucks to see a guy with his heart and work ethic be so close to finished at 30.

gillyguzzler 11-13-2008 11:40 AM

Bégin is better than Dandy. Dandy is a natural D, practices as a D, but has played tons of RW last year and this year. Now, he is playing his off wing, LW, and is considered less of a liability that Bégin is, and Bégin is a natural LW. Begin hits, Dandy hardly. Begin shoots, Dandy hardly. Begin brings energy, Dandy hardly. Begin blocks shots, Dandy hardly. Begin can fight, Dandy wouldn't even think of it. What a slap in the face this is to Begin! No he's not better than Kosto or Lapierre and no he's not as valuable as BGL, but come on, Dandy?

Iwishihadacup 11-13-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyguzzler (Post 16301376)
Bégin is better than Dandy. Dandy is a natural D, practices as a D, but has played tons of RW last year and this year. Now, he is playing his off wing, LW, and is considered less of a liability that Bégin is, and Bégin is a natural LW. Begin hits, Dandy hardly. Begin shoots, Dandy hardly. Begin brings energy, Dandy hardly. Begin blocks shots, Dandy hardly. Begin can fight, Dandy wouldn't even think of it. What a slap in the face this is to Begin! No he's not better than Kosto or Lapierre and no he's not as valuable as BGL, but come on, Dandy?

the great injustice of this world...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.