HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Lasse Kukkonen On Waivers (update post #127: CLEARED WAIVERS, Nov. 14) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=572176)

Ex Storm 11-13-2008 12:50 PM

Lasse Kukkonen On Waivers (update post #127: CLEARED WAIVERS, Nov. 14)

Quote:

Lasse Kukkonen was placed on waivers Thursday
Per TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009

Mike Richards 18 11-13-2008 12:53 PM

sad if he goes but thats what happens to bottom pairing dmen. hopefully he stays with the organization

Terence Peterman 11-13-2008 12:54 PM

...cause this is totally necessary...

oh, blech. :facepalm:

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-13-2008 12:54 PM

Another Jim Dowd situation? Salary cap reasons?

Opus 11-13-2008 12:54 PM

I'd be shocked if he was picked up.

Haute Couturier 11-13-2008 12:56 PM

Is this a move to make room for Shanny?

teegale 11-13-2008 12:59 PM

I was totally looking forward to seeing him center our 4th line tonight...or is that still a go? Stevens makes me wanna stab people.

FlyLife 11-13-2008 01:00 PM

Sweet, someone was trying to tell me that they were going to put him at center...thank god that didn't happen.

claude boivin lives 11-13-2008 01:02 PM

If he gets picked up...and another d-man should get injured before any more come back...we could be in a tough spot.

Syvret is racking up points like crazy in the AHL, but how is his defense? Can anyone comment on that? I've never seen him play.

And would Guenin be able to do a good enough job if called upon? I've never really seen enough of him either. I understand that he is more of a defensive-minded d-man, though.

If Guenin is any better than Syvret in his own end...he's certainly the one I'd prefer to have take on Kukkonen's role, if it came to that.

IrishSniper87 11-13-2008 01:02 PM

OMFG KUKKS IS BEING WAIVED!!!!

Next thing you know, we will find out Vista sucks, the Dow Jones will fall below 9000 and that the Phillies will win the World Series.

Wait ...

teegale 11-13-2008 01:03 PM

I think this is a good sign that Shanny is on the way.

Kaktus* 11-13-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 16302501)
Is this a move to make room for Shanny?

I thought of that too.

P.S I hope someone picks him up.

CanadianFlyer88 11-13-2008 01:06 PM

Guess that means Alberts is the 7th defenseman when (if) all the Flyers' D is healthy. Too bad for Lasse; I liked his feistiness.... won't miss his poor puck handling, though.

IrishSniper87 11-13-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaktus (Post 16302665)
I thought of that too.

If it was a move for Shanny, why not waive Alberts instead?

Kukks can't be making much money anyway, he is a 7th d-man. We still need to keep another guy up right?

Kaktus* 11-13-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 16302684)

Kukks can't be making much money anyway, he is a 7th d-man. We still need to keep another guy up right?

Because Stevens thinks Alberts is better.

Jones is probably 3-4 weeks away from coming back. Maybe less.

Vaananen is healthy enough to play now.

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-13-2008 01:09 PM

From Tim P:
Quote:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...782&feedID=695

The Flyers placed defenseman Lasse Kukkonen on waivers Thursday with the intent of sending him back to the Phantoms.

Because he is a veteran NHLer, there is also a chance some club will claim the Finnish blue liner. The object of this maneuver, said general manager Paul Holmgren, is to clear some cap space in the event the Flyers need to recall another forward.

“We have to protect ourselves with injuries to our forwards,” Holmgren said.

Kukkonen would clear $875,000 off the Flyers cap which is about $818,000 under the $56.7 million limit. He is expected to be in the lineup Thursday night when the Flyers play in Pittsburgh.
From Bill Meltzer...
Quote:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...guins/45/17847

Update (1:35 PM)

The Flyers have placed Lasse Kukkonen on waivers. He can continue to play with the club while on waivers.

The move is not a surprise. Kukkonen was caught in a numbers game, was quietly unhappy in a reserve role and did not play particularly well in his limited time this season. He did a good job for the club last year when given a chance.

Terence Peterman 11-13-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 16302684)

alberts is making 1.4 million, kukkonen 900k.

there's no way this move alone is enough to get shanahan under the cap. this is just unnecessary at this point.

**** stevens.

GKJ 11-13-2008 01:10 PM

So....if he is claimed....and someone on defense gets hurt...

orange and black48 11-13-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude boivin lives (Post 16302608)
If he gets picked up...and another d-man should get injured before any more come back...we could be in a tough spot.

Syvret is racking up points like crazy in the AHL, but how is his defense? Can anyone comment on that? I've never seen him play.

Ugh, I am kinda annoyed about this but...a friend made a good point, sbisa is staying and jones will be coming back soon, so there is not really a spot here for him as much as I was a fan of his.

I kinda think soneone will pick him up. And as for it another Defenseman goes down, I woulld think they would give Oscars his first look at the big club.

Kambo 11-13-2008 01:12 PM

So instead of waiving Alberts, we waive Kukks. Brilliant. This really doesn't bother me, but he was still somewhat better than Alberts. Well there went #2 on Stevens' **** list, anyway. Wonder who's next.

Edit: Just saw it was for the Phantoms. Still wouldn't be surprised if he got picked up.

dbr2 11-13-2008 01:14 PM

They should have put Albets on waivers before Kukks :shakehead

GKJ 11-13-2008 01:14 PM

It doesn't bother me in the sense that, if Stevens refuses to use Kukkonen, then he should be here, regardless of whether or not he's better than Alberts. He also can't waive Alberts because if he's taken than we made a trade for nothing.

runkle 11-13-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 16302742)
So....if he is claimed....and someone on defense gets hurt...

This was inevitable I guess. If he clears I am sure he will get the Gauthier treatment for the rest of the year. I'd guess he will stay there and they will use someone who can clear for the next few weeks until Jones & Parent are back.

I personally hope he gets claimed and someone gives him a chance. I still have a soft spot for the guy and have always appreciated his effort.

sa cyred 11-13-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kambo (Post 16302771)
So instead of waiving Alberts, we waive Kukks. Brilliant. This really doesn't bother me, but he was still somewhat better than Alberts. Well there went #2 on Stevens' **** list, anyway. Wonder who's next.

Edit: Just saw it was for the Phantoms. Still wouldn't be surprised if he got picked up.

:cry: Stevens hates Upshall.... I see a pattern. First Downie, then Kuks, then....I hope not :cry:

GKJ 11-13-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runkle (Post 16302806)
This was inevitable I guess. If he clears I am sure he will get the Gauthier treatment for the rest of the year. I'd guess he will stay there and they will use someone who can clear for the next few weeks until Jones & Parent are back.

I personally hope he gets claimed and someone gives him a chance. I still have a soft spot for the guy and have always appreciated his effort.

He can leave next week. I wanted him to sign my jersey first :sarcasm: