HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Was O'Byrne always so passive? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=572643)

Pascal 11-14-2008 02:40 PM

Was O'Byrne always so passive?

Was O'Byrne always so soft as a defenseman? did he fight ever before? Did he make big hits? I'd like to hear from people who have seen him play before.

He's so huge but he seems to be like another version of Hal Gill. I don't think him learning the game in the NHL affects his aggressiveness.. or can it?

couz 11-14-2008 02:44 PM

I was thinking that today, i thought he was more agressive than that.

Kimota 11-14-2008 02:47 PM

WE are so great at drafting those big, strong defensemen! Gold, Jerry, Gold! :help:

Bring in Sutton.

TonyTinglebone 11-14-2008 02:47 PM

He was more aggressive last year, but since that game in Fla when he fought twice and broke his hand he has seemed to be much more passive. Last year it was looking like he was gonna be Komisarek v2.0

Pascal 11-14-2008 02:49 PM

Usually the big mean dmen don't wear visors. I hope he proves me wrong some day.. maybe he needs someone to insult his mom or something.

King Kovalev 11-14-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16324343)
Was O'Byrne always so soft as a defenseman? did he fight ever before? Did he make big hits? I'd like to hear from people who have seen him play before.

He's so huge but he seems to be like another version of Hal Gill. I don't think him learning the game in the NHL affects his aggressiveness.. or can it?

Youre asking that question now? Weren't you one of those who thought we should move Bouillon so that he would have more ice time? Anyways. OByrne never was or never will be a big hitter and a good fighter. His assets are his big reach and skating ability.(although his skating does look kinda weird) This is just a case of people watching way too much Youtube. Im far from being a big OByrne fan but hes still pretty young for a Dmen. I say we let him play this year and judge him afterwards.

TheCH* 11-14-2008 02:58 PM

He doesn't know how to hit. He is a big fella, but i find often when he goes for a big hit, he somehow frequently seems to manage to get the worst of it. He needs to get some pointers from Bouillon and Begin.

SmurfsFTW 11-14-2008 02:59 PM

I think he needed an adjustment with his checking skills, was always getting himself out of position for the hit and the coaches probably told him to not do that kind of stuff... And he seems to be outmuscled by smaller guys, i don't know I tought he was stronger...

We kindof like to overrate big defensemen, remember how Popovic was huge and one of the softest ? Kjell Samuelson ?

Well, that's just how I see it. what I don't like about him is he dosen't seem to be confident with the puck, and makes a lot of turnovers 'cause of that. I could careless about the hits if he was good with the puck... Unfortunately...

montreal 11-14-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16324343)

O'Byrne has been a hitting machine at every level up to the NHL. BCHL, NCAA, and AHL. He once hit Alex Elder so hard I thought he killed him, I'm not kidding in was in the playoffs of his rookie year. He has dropped the gloves but not a lot.

King Kovalev 11-14-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 16324637)
O'Byrne has been a hitting machine at every level up to the NHL. BCHL, NCAA, and AHL. He once hit Alex Elder so hard I thought he killed him, I'm not kidding in was in the playoffs of his rookie year. He has dropped the gloves but not a lot.

In the AHL, really? I watched a lot of Bulldogs games and I dont really remember him doing a whole lot of hitting. He layed the big hit once in a while but I wouldnt call him a hitting machine at least not from what I saw in the AHL. 50% of the time he would completly miss the guy he hit the boards.

Charlie Milles* 11-14-2008 03:09 PM

He seemed to have had his games last year? No?

montreal 11-14-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Kovalev (Post 16324773)
In the AHL, really? I watched a lot of Bulldogs games and I dont really remember him doing a whole lot of hitting. He layed the big hit once in a while but I wouldnt call him a hitting machine at least not from what I saw in the AHL. 50% of the time he would completly miss the guy he hit the boards.

Yes he had a ton of hits in the AHL, I saw close to every game he played in the AHL. I don't recall him missing 50% of his hits either.

King Kovalev 11-14-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 16324836)
Yes he had a ton of hits in the AHL, I saw close to every game he played in the AHL. I don't recall him missing 50% of his hits either.

Im speaking from the games I saw but since you say you saw pretty much every game Ill trust you ;)

Beakermania* 11-14-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimota (Post 16324443)
WE are so great at drafting those big, strong defensemen! Gold, Jerry, Gold! :help:

Bring in Sutton.

Sutton Sucks

Qui Gon Dave 11-14-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

I think that hit will live on in our minds (and a few other peoples) for a very long time to come. Can't wait until he gets close to that in the NHL. He has had some big hits with the Habs, but that will take some catching. But who knows, in a few years, once he is settled, some rookie forward will think "I'll go down the boards outside this guy" and he won't play again for a couple of months. Oddly enough, that hit came when O'B was on the left side of the ice, where he struggled in pre-season. Wish there was a video of that somewhere.

As for O'B looking passive, he really looked it when he started in the AHL. The first month or two, he didn't look very comfortable with physical play, like he didn't know how much force to apply in various situations. Towards the end of the year and especially through the playoffs, he came alive and really stepped his game up, looking much more solid. I think it's just a matter of time for him to get to grips with NHLers, even if it might take quite a bit of time. Once things click into place, he'll be a solid guy. The hitting I believe will come along slowly, it's his play with the puck I'm more concerned with (and his strength on his skates). Hopefully he also continues to develop those at the NHL level.

As for fighting, he isn't a great fighter but is capable, certainly something he could improve with some tips from BGL. He's a willing fighter when needed but shouldn't be counted on to destroy anyone known as a good fighter.

CanadienErrant* 11-14-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couz (Post 16324409)
I was thinking that today, i thought he was more agressive than that.

He was, before the night he fought twice and was injured last season... Since then...

Whre is Valentenko when you need him ? :sarcasm:

FerrisRox 11-14-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

I watched a lot of Ryan O'Byrne in the AHL and I have to say, I couldn't disagree more with your assesment.

From the first game I watched him play, I would say my biggest knocks on him were his puck handling and his inability to use his size to his advantage. He's always left me wanting more from him physically. Even when he does hit, he seems content to "rub a guy out" instead of using his monster frame to his advantage.

A hitting machine? Certainly not what I saw him do as an AHLer.

Pascal 11-14-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Kovalev (Post 16324537)
Youre asking that question now? Weren't you one of those who thought we should move Bouillon so that he would have more ice time?

I don't know where you got that but no it wasn't me. I really like Bouillon :teach:

LyricalLyricist 11-14-2008 08:20 PM

He's more of a positional player, which is a shame because he has good size. He should pick a fight early in one of the next games and im sure it'll get him in the game. He needs a spark, I remember him being a real solid force towards the end of the regular season last year.

Beakermania* 11-14-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16330251)
He's more of a positional player, which is a shame because he has good size. He should pick a fight early in one of the next games and im sure it'll get him in the game. He needs a spark, I remember him being a real solid force towards the end of the regular season last year.

Last year he broke his hand fighting... we don't need him injured too.

OneSharpMarble 11-14-2008 08:41 PM

Man we need both Valenteko and Emelin. Both are pretty mean from what I hear and play a North American style.

LyricalLyricist 11-14-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 16330545)
Last year he broke his hand fighting... we don't need him injured too.

It happens. Maybe he shouldn't give bodychecks, he might injure his shoulder, you never know. Sarcasm aside, he's fought before and he's a big guy, I don't see the harm in him providing a spark to the team and himself. Then again, I want to make sure by my last post that people don't assume I'm suggesting he look for a fight and be a goon, merely suggesting if the opportunity presents itself, he should step up and perhaps it will help him long term. That is all.

Stradale 11-14-2008 10:09 PM

Why is Obyrne so passive? Because he plays for the Montreal Canadiens! The most passive team in the nhl.

montreal 11-14-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrisRox (Post 16329382)
I watched a lot of Ryan O'Byrne in the AHL and I have to say, I couldn't disagree more with your assesment.

From the first game I watched him play, I would say my biggest knocks on him were his puck handling and his inability to use his size to his advantage. He's always left me wanting more from him physically. Even when he does hit, he seems content to "rub a guy out" instead of using his monster frame to his advantage.

A hitting machine? Certainly not what I saw him do as an AHLer.

I"m shocked that you would disagree with someone. I guess O'Byrne got the 210 pims in the AHL by being passive. Hitting machine is subjective since one person might use the word a little more losely then others. So what did you see him do as an AHLer, was his hit on Elder a one time thing?

As for the knock on him, when he was drafted it was that he ran around too much in his own end and he didn't handle the puck well when he was pressured, made bad decisions.

I couldn't disagree more with him "rubbing a guy out", since I saw him throw some major league hip checks that crushed several players into the boards. Granted it backfired here and there but he could use his speed to really lay into the forwards.

le_sean 11-14-2008 10:14 PM

He's had some huge hits with the Habs, notably the one on Greg Campbell. I think he's just young and doesn't want to take himself out of position and receive less icetime as a result. Just a confidence thing if he's hit throughout his career and not now.