HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Canadian Junior Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   QMJHL vs OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=572677)

metalan2 11-14-2008 03:50 PM

QMJHL vs OHL

This may be around, but I can't find it..

Anyway, which league would you consider more elite? I am not big junior guy, but to me it seems as if the OHL is pretty much a mini NHL, while the QMJHL has sort of fallen a little?

I know back when Mario was around it was basically the elite, but what is there now?

speedway 11-14-2008 04:08 PM

Simple, the O.

SergeConstantin74 11-16-2008 01:38 AM

It wasn't the elite when Mario was there. It never was. The Q has always been behind the OHL and the WHL.

Blind Gardien 11-18-2008 12:02 PM

I always thought of the Q as having at least a few exciting star players who could be projected as NHL stars, though. To watch the game against Russia last night, it gets harder to identify those players in the Q. Although that's a snapshot of just this moment, no trend.

Without that, it definitely takes a bit of shine off the Q. Whereas the OHL is riding high with star power in recent snapshots.

:dunno:

SergeConstantin74 11-18-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 16387616)
I always thought of the Q as having at least a few exciting star players who could be projected as NHL stars, though. To watch the game against Russia last night, it gets harder to identify those players in the Q. Although that's a snapshot of just this moment, no trend.

Without that, it definitely takes a bit of shine off the Q. Whereas the OHL is riding high with star power in recent snapshots.

:dunno:

Olivier Roy?

TK 421 11-18-2008 02:19 PM

Would it be fair to say that the OHL and WHL attract better coaches(retiring pros)?

It's been my impression that the OHL and WHL are just higher quality leagues, and I would think many former pros coaching could give them that "pro feel" compared to the QMJHL. I know Roy coaches in the Q but how many other former pros do they have coaching? Please forgive my relative ignorance of the Q but I've always thought of it as a goalie training league and a place where the occasional offensive stud can hone his skills.

Alpine 11-18-2008 02:45 PM

Let's not forget the Q champ up untill the last couple of years did make the championship game of the Mem Cup for almost 10 years in a row.
D from the Q just off the top of my head Vlasic, Letang, Beauchemin, Khalinin. Yandle............
It was only 3 years ago when both finalist in the Mem were from the Q.
Maybe the Q just doesn't get much love outside of Quebec and the Maritimes or hasn't had the super stars since Crosby, LeCalvier (sp) but I wouldn't be too smug about the Q lots of good players come through the Q.

Blind Gardien 11-18-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 (Post 16387795)
Olivier Roy?

I have seen him exactly once now, and yep, he looked like a star prospect last night. I was thinking more of the scoring stars, though.

Penguins23 11-20-2008 08:24 AM

I keep thinking it's the 'O' but the Q keeps proving me wrong in the Memorial Cup. As far as stars go I'd say the Q is behind the 'O' and the 'dub.

SimonTemplar 11-28-2008 02:58 PM

It's easier to look at where the teams draw their talent.

OHL teams draw from a mucher bigger population base in Ontario, New York, Pennsylvannia, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan so ya it's a higher talent league.

The Q is doing better now since expanding into the Maritimes.

But the OHL operate much bigger teams with far higher budgets. The OHL also keeps opening more and more new rinks.

Old Time Sauce 12-14-2008 01:46 PM

OHL hands down