HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   3 Stars Mistake? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=573392)

Bluebillion 11-16-2008 09:13 PM

3 Stars Mistake?

I feel that the 3 stars tonight were a mistake.
I mean I can understand Kovalev being there seeing his winning goal. But I think Lang should have been one, I mean that was the game equalizer and such a nice goal, he was down and he flicked it while it was in the air into the net.

But what morely frustrated me, is that Carey Price was not atleast 2nd star! I mean, he did so well tonight after letting 12 goals in his last 2 games, he let in only 2 tonight. As well he saved all the Shots in the shootouts! I mean what the hell!

Any thoughts?

Coldplay 11-16-2008 09:14 PM

I think Price played a decent game, not one of his best, but he was not 2nd star worthy. Langer played a good game, but I'd definitely have A Kost ahead of him.

Lucius 11-16-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebillion (Post 16362035)
I feel that the 3 stars tonight were a mistake.
I mean I can understand Kovalev being there seeing his winning goal. But I think Lang should have been one, I mean that was the game equalizer and such a nice goal, he was down and he flicked it while it was in the air into the net.

But what morely frustrated me, is that Carey Price was not atleast 2nd star! I mean, he did so well tonight after letting 12 goals in his last 2 games, he let in only 2 tonight. As well he saved all the Shots in the shootouts! I mean what the hell!

Any thoughts?

Three stars are far from scientific, usually picked by the home team's media.

I was watching on FSN and during the shootout they called Price a standup goalie. ;)

It usually tilts homer, which isn't a diss of St. Louis, as there are just as many questionable three stars during Montreal home games.

Beakermania* 11-16-2008 09:16 PM

St. Louis media picks the stars....

Habs10Habs 11-16-2008 09:16 PM

I missed it, who were the 3 stars?

Shred 11-16-2008 09:19 PM

On RDS it was Regier, A Kost and Jackman.

edit: according to NHL.com they picked Regier, Lang and Kovalev in St Louis. I would have picked Price before Lang and Kovalev, he was really good in the shootout.

Bluebillion 11-16-2008 09:22 PM

Well, if it was tilted to home team, then why are there 2 habs players and only one st.louis? :P

And yes I didn't think Price played his best, but after such a down in confidence for him, letting in only two goals is really good!

My 3 Stars Tonight:

1) Kostitsyn (for his Fivehole Goal)

2) Carey Price (For such a good comeback, I mean everyone had doubts after his matches against Boston, and his match before that, he proved everyone wrong in regulation, overtime & Shootouts)

3)Regier, S (for that really nice aimed shot, but I feel Price was screened by the man passing by, I think Price could have got that if he had view of it. But either way, Great Goal)

Agreed? Disagree?

Watsatheo 11-16-2008 09:22 PM

1.Regier
2.Lang
3.Kovalev

I don't see a problem.

Bluebillion 11-16-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 16362220)
1.Regier
2.Lang
3.Kovalev

I don't see a problem.

its a really good choice, i mean they all make sense, Langs really good tip into the net, Regiers awesome shot for the ice breaker, and Kovalevs game winner, but I think I would have put Regier out for Price, not because I'm a Habs fan, but because Price was screened, I think he would have saved it if the man passing by didn't screen him.

mcphee 11-16-2008 09:25 PM

I can't think of a player wearing the CH tonight who played a good game. Maybe Hamrlik, a bit ?

Bluebillion 11-16-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16362286)
I can't think of a player wearing the CH tonight who played a good game. Maybe Hamrlik, a bit ?

please tell me your joking?

JGRB 11-16-2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

UM...

Hamrlik, Andrei Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Lang, to name a few?

mcphee 11-16-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluebillion (Post 16362318)
please tell me your joking?

I don't think one player on the team from the drop of the puck until Kovalev's goal played a game that they can be proud of. A.Kost made a nice play on Lang's goal, but he displayed the same wariness in trafic that he has since his injury. Maybe getting some results will get him going,.... His brother had a better latter part of the game after not competing on some shifts. Plekanec made a great play, but most of he 1st 2 periods, well I hope he doesn't see any video.

I thought Koivu and Tanguay were awful tonight. Price didn't have much work, the play was pretty scrambly. You could read the expressions on KOivu and Kovalev's faces after the game, 'yeah, take the points but we aren't out of the woods yet'.

mcphee 11-16-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 (Post 16362537)
UM...

Hamrlik, Andrei Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Lang, to name a few?

I think AK got some nice results, but overall, I don't think anyone's proud of the game. I think we're relieved that they won, is all.

Bluebillion 11-16-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16362626)
I don't think one player on the team from the drop of the puck until Kovalev's goal played a game that they can be proud of. A.Kost made a nice play on Lang's goal, but he displayed the same wariness in trafic that he has since his injury. Maybe getting some results will get him going,.... His brother had a better latter part of the game after not competing on some shifts. Plekanec made a great play, but most of he 1st 2 periods, well I hope he doesn't see any video.

I thought Koivu and Tanguay were awful tonight. Price didn't have much work, the play was pretty scrambly. You could read the expressions on KOivu and Kovalev's faces after the game, 'yeah, take the points but we aren't out of the woods yet'.

Price did a good job in keeping the game alive, not his best but atleast he confidence, agreed?

But don't go that far that till Kovy's goal our players didn't do much. Our team actually got some good shots on net, close ones but Legace saved them pretty well. Lang, Kovalev, Kostitsyn & Price are standout players of tonight.

Habs10Habs 11-16-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

An overall solid game, I can't think of anyone either. But a few players stood out here and there for me.

Habnot 11-16-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

There's no doubt that the team is not firing on all cylinders but they are 5-4-1 in the last 10, which is positive when a team is playing poorly.

I also think that it's normal for the Habs to be going through an adaptation period. They are considered part of the elite and teams are more prepared when playing them. They need to bring their game to a new level as so far, they have not been able to take their game to a new level.

I still think that we have to many periphery players on the first three lines. Too many similar players, not enough of a lunch pail mentality. For the Habs to get to the next level, true NHL elite, guys have got to take more punishment in front of the net.

Lastly, Carbo still puzzles me. I don't understand many of his moves. Lapierre did not deserve to sit out today and Begin as a centre on the fourth line cost us at least the first goal. Brisebois as a first pair defensemen is also indefensible. I don't blame Brisebois, he give what he has. Last night, Brisebois cost us dearly on the first goal. In both games which were very tight, one goal is often the difference. I also think that the O'Byrne experience on the top two pairings has got to be re-evaluated. Too many mistakes with the puck.

Bluebillion 11-16-2008 09:51 PM

Less turnovers tonight.

mcphee 11-16-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habnot (Post 16362763)
There's no doubt that the team is not firing on all cylinders but they are 5-4-1 in the last 10, which is positive when a team is playing poorly.

I also think that it's normal for the Habs to be going through an adaptation period. They are considered part of the elite and teams are more prepared when playing them. They need to bring their game to a new level as so far, they have not been able to take their game to a new level.

I still think that we have to many periphery players on the first three lines. Too many similar players, not enough of a lunch pail mentality. For the Habs to get to the next level, true NHL elite, guys have got to take more punishment in front of the net.

Lastly, Carbo still puzzles me. I don't understand many of his moves. Lapierre did not deserve to sit out today and Begin as a centre on the fourth line cost us at least the first goal. Brisebois as a first pair defensemen is also indefensible. I don't blame Brisebois, he give what he has. Last night, Brisebois cost us dearly on the first goal. In both games which were very tight, one goal is often the difference. I also think that the O'Byrne experience on the top two pairings has got to be re-evaluated. Too many mistakes with the puck.

I saw too many high turnovers , y'know the ones where the d man finesses a a pass rather than getting it out. Gorges, Brisebois and O'Bryne all did this tonight I thought and the forwards weren't a lot of help.

I dunno, I really thought they were fortunate they played a depleted Blues team.

I've defended Begin in the past, but not at C. Still, on a scrambled draw, someone has to want the puck, 2 goals in 3 games on that play.

I think the forwards are there to play closer to the net, it's just a matter of doing it. Higgins can and should play this game but he seemed out of it tonighht. I enjoyed how Lats set up along the goal line near the boards on one shift. That's how you screen a cross eted goalie.

Maybe I'm just crabby tonight, I hate watching when they lose so many individual battles.

Habnot 11-16-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16362960)

Maybe I'm just crabby tonight, I hate watching when they lose so many individual battles.

My son and I were at the game last night and we both noticed how many battles the Habs lost. It seemed that every loose puck went to the Flyers. I know we have alot of skill, but we just didn't have the grit to deal with Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Gagne, Knuble etc. You got to call a spade a spade, we were light years away yesterday in competing with that bunch.

BTW, what a player that Richards. I would give my left nut to have on the Habs. I figure at my age, how much value is my left nut?

mcphee 11-16-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habnot (Post 16363096)
My son and I were at the game last night and we both noticed how many battles the Habs lost. It seemed that every loose puck went to the Flyers. I know we have alot of skill, but we just didn't have the grit to deal with Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Gagne, Knuble etc. You got to call a spade a spade, we were light years away yesterday in competing with that bunch.

BTW, what a player that Richards. I would give my left nut to have on the Habs. I figure at my age, how much value is my left nut?

So would I, but what's Richards gonna do with 2, well I guess that would be 3 left nuts ? I'm not convinced their set of forwards is better, it seems that way now because ours are playing poorly, but there's 5 or 6 players on the team, mainly young guys that have to play better against these teams. The goal in the 2-1 game is what I want to see, moreso than goal 6 in a 6-2 win.

Habnot 11-16-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16363174)
? I'm not convinced their set of forwards is better, it seems that way now because ours are playing poorly, but there's 5 or 6 players on the team, mainly young guys that have to play better against these teams. The goal in the 2-1 game is what I want to see, moreso than goal 6 in a 6-2 win.

Except that I consider the Flyers forwards as established. The jury is still out that Higgins, Lats and the Kost bros. can perform consistently.