HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Luke Schenn/Luca Sbisa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=573835)

miltons rules 11-18-2008 06:29 AM

Luke Schenn/Luca Sbisa

I just cought the Bos. Tor. game lastnight after watching it I can't figue out all the hype about this schenn kid. I mean sbisa was drafted lower and appears to be playing alot better, if schenn is a franchise player I think the flyers have a real gem in sbisa.

DeadPhish5858 11-18-2008 07:12 AM

You are right.

Opus 11-18-2008 07:16 AM

They play two different style games, not a fair comparison.

Having said that, I'm quite happy to have Sbisa as we already have a Schenn-like player in Bourdon already in the system.

chaosof99* 11-18-2008 07:17 AM

If the fight between Sbisa and Schenn's brother Brayden is any indication, Luca beats the crap out of him:

Let's see how it goes on November 29th, when we actually play the Leafs.

Kambo 11-18-2008 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosof99 (Post 16384783)
If the fight between Sbisa and Schenn's brother Brayden is any indication, Luca beats the crap out of him:

Hahaha, I like how the commentator pronounces his name like Sahbisa.

claude boivin lives 11-18-2008 08:49 AM

No need to compare the two, or make claim that Sbisa is better. They're two different types of d-men, and Schenn is a very good player in his own right.

Besides, after Luca's last couple of games...I wouldn't exactly say that now is the time to be hyping him.

LEIFey 11-18-2008 08:54 AM

i agree with everyone saying that schenn and sbisa aren't comparable; both show a lot of promise at different things. i am kind of tired of TO fans claiming schenn to be the heir apparent to sugar spice and all things nice. i'm glad they put luca with kimmo; veteran leadership is always a good thing. look what hatcher did for coburn (who admittedly needs to turn things up).

FlyersCup08 11-18-2008 09:59 AM

I too caught the game last night and was not impressed with Schenn either. That being said, the two are not comparable and I think Schenn has far more potential (I don't really see Norris Trophies in Sbisa's future).

RoDu 11-18-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosof99 (Post 16384783)

that'sa spicey meatball!! I mean he whooped him

Opus 11-18-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 (Post 16386104)
I too caught the game last night and was not impressed with Schenn either. That being said, the two are not comparable and I think Schenn has far more potential (I don't really see Norris Trophies in Sbisa's future).

I don't think Schenn is/will be Norris material...just my opinion.

You guys want to see a solid 18 year old defenseman, miles ahead of Sbisa and Schenn...watch the Kings Drew Doughty.

Doughty <-----------------------------------------> Sbisa/Schenn

LEIFey 11-18-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opus (Post 16386262)

You guys want to see a solid 18 year old defenseman, miles ahead of Sbisa and Schenn...watch the Kings Drew Doughty.

i completely agree. doughty looks incredible.

27roenick97 11-18-2008 11:41 AM

i haven't seen any of doughty, but some of schenn. the adage goes for schenn that if you don't notice him, its a good thing.

as mentioned, we have a couple of prospects that we're grooming as defensive d-men (like parent and bourdon), but we need that all-around d-man to be part of our top for many, many years. watching sbisa, i can't help but think of kimmo in his little time with the team. great passing, vision, composure, a little bit of feistiness (moreso with sbisa, whom i think can have a legitimate mean streak to him). if we pulled a kimmo timonen from this draft, epic win for us...

phlocky 11-18-2008 11:48 AM

Here's one for you guys, I know we are all happy with Sbisa and are excited about the 09 draft being very deep and us getting a very good prospect even in the mid-late rounds however, would you trade Sbisa and our 09 1st for the #1 pick overall in 09 and the ability to take either Hedman or Tavares??? Our current best prospects are Sbisa, Parent, Giroux, JVR and (insert player to be taken in 09 draft, most likely) and when it's all said and done in about 5 or so years, I think only JVR will be better than Sbisa and whomever we take in the 09 draft. That being said, I still think I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd best prospects for a guy like Hedman.

Opus 11-18-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlocky (Post 16387415)
Here's one for you guys, I know we are all happy with Sbisa and are excited about the 09 draft being very deep and us getting a very good prospect even in the mid-late rounds however, would you trade Sbisa and our 09 1st for the #1 pick overall in 09 and the ability to take either Hedman or Tavares??? Our current best prospects are Sbisa, Parent, Giroux, JVR and (insert player to be taken in 09 draft, most likely) and when it's all said and done in about 5 or so years, I think only JVR will be better than Sbisa and whomever we take in the 09 draft. That being said, I still think I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd best prospects for a guy like Hedman.

Not saying I'm not interested in Tavares or Hedman, but we desperately need a top goalie prospect first and foremost.

CanadianFlyer88 11-18-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opus (Post 16387464)
Not saying I'm not interested in Tavares or Hedman, but we desperately need a top goalie prospect first and foremost.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Top goalie prospects fizzle out all the time and the pool of forwards and defensemen dwarf the goalie prospect pool.

I'd almost always prefer to draft a skater over a goalie in the early rounds.

sa cyred 11-18-2008 12:39 PM

In this draft Olivier Roy seems to be one of the few good goalies. Some project him to go in the first found

kicksave27 11-18-2008 12:40 PM

NO NO NO, no top draft picks on goalies. The flyers system is the black hole of goaltending prospects. You have just as much chance getting a starter in the late rounds as you do early. If you look at a lot of the top goalies in the league probably half aren't playing with their original teams. Many weren't top round picks. Let other teams with better goaltending coaches then lemelin/little groom a kid, then trade for him. Preferably someone under allaire in Anaheim. If you have to draft a goalie, i'd go for scandinavian goalies, they have great goalie coaches like jukka ropanen, who groomed kipper and nitty. And those you can probably get in the mid rounds. Drafting goalies year after year in the 90s with first round picks was responsible for the lack of top end prospects. When the best the system had to offer was patrick juhlin and paul healey. Until they finally started drafting positional players again with gagne, zubrus, willams.

mercury 11-18-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Yes, you have to trade Sbisa and a 1st for Hedman. He has the potential to be a perennial Norris winner/finalist.

phlocky 11-18-2008 12:49 PM

I agree, we would most likely be trading a 2nd pairing dman (Sbisa) and a 2nd line forward (09 1st rnd pick) for a #1 dman. That's like Lupul and Coburn for Phaneuf. I like our 2 guys but to get Dion, that would be tremendous.

Haute Couturier 11-18-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

I would do it, but I don't think the Flyers would be able to fit Hedman/Tavares and JVR under the cap next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 16387849)
I don't necessarily agree with that. Top goalie prospects fizzle out all the time and the pool of forwards and defensemen dwarf the goalie prospect pool.

I agree with this. It's very early in their young careers, but we might consider ourselves fortunate that Nashville took Pickard. His stats are very mediocre at the moment, but I don't know if he has an actual defense in front of him.

Opus 11-18-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 16387849)

I didn't mean take a goalie that was ranked let's say....25th, over Hedman or Tavares but rather use the pick to aquire a goalie prospect.

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear.

phlocky 11-18-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opus (Post 16389522)
I didn't mean take a goalie that was ranked let's say....25th, over Hedman or Tavares but rather use the pick to aquire a goalie prospect.

Sorry, I should have made myself more clear.

I understand what you are saying but at #25 that goalie prospect is FAR FAR from a sure thing. Goalies are much harder to judge how they will progress to the NHL level than anyo ther position. Unless you are getting a sure thing in goal (like a Fleury or such) then using a lower 1st rnd pick is too much of a roll of the dice to warrent such. You are much better draftin skaters with your 1st and 2nd rnd picks and then taking all goalies after that. Drafting 4 goalies a year SHOULD produce at least 1 significant prospect.

mm6492 11-18-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

yeaaa

sbisa is good but those 2 could be great

but that would not be enough for that pick

NewFang 11-18-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy64 (Post 16384602)
I just cought the Bos. Tor. game lastnight after watching it I can't figue out all the hype about this schenn kid. I mean sbisa was drafted lower and appears to be playing alot better, if schenn is a franchise player I think the flyers have a real gem in sbisa.

This is your conclusion after watching Schenn in one game. Great.

ORYX 11-18-2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opus (Post 16386262)

I said the exact same thing in the prospects threads, posters wanted to know who the best, i was speechless when sbisa was barely mentioned and some leafs fans thought scheen hands down.

Doughty clearly is miles ahead right now, not to mention he is on a much worse team then either of the young prospects currently playing (bogosian injured)

IMO right now it goes:

Doughty

Sbisa
Bogosian
Schenn