HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Isles need to do something! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=57393)

Isles4cups 03-01-2004 06:41 PM

Isles need to do something!
 
Listen if they think that they are going anywhere with the team they have even with Parrish and Yashin back they are sadly mistaken. Here is my crazy offer. Keep in mind that guys coming from crappy teams usually step it up a notch going to a playoff team. Trade Parrish,Bates & 1st rounder for Gonchar and Witt. Then trade Hammer for Nylander(the Islander). Lines-Blake-Hunter-Asham,Chow-Yashin-Nylander, Papp-Scathard-Kvasha, Wienhandl-Ronning-Goddard . Defense- Aucoin,Johnsson, Ninnamii,Gonchar,Witt& Cairns! :yo: :joker: :yo: :handclap:

Wingboy2999 03-01-2004 06:43 PM

Yeah, use Parrish as bait for Gonchar would make sense.

p.l.f. 03-01-2004 06:43 PM

just beat ottawa for me
thats all i ask

Damien 03-01-2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles4cups
Listen if they think that they are going anywhere with the team they have even with Parrish and Yashin back they are sadly mistaken. Here is my crazy offer. Keep in mind that guys coming from crappy teams usually step it up a notch going to a playoff team. Trade Parrish,Bates & 1st rounder for Gonchar and Witt. Then trade Hammer for Nylander(the Islander). Lines-Blake-Hunter-Asham,Chow-Yashin-Nylander, Papp-Scathard-Kvasha, Wienhandl-Ronning-Goddard . Defense- Aucoin,Johnsson, Ninnamii,Gonchar,Witt& Cairns! :yo: :joker: :yo: :handclap:

Where's Peca?

neelynugs 03-01-2004 06:46 PM

when shawn bates is a top forward for your team, you'd BETTER do something :joker:

Tiki 03-01-2004 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
when shawn bates is a top forward for your team, you'd BETTER do something :joker:

I got two words for that..... Mike Knuble!

Darth Milbury 03-01-2004 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
when shawn bates is a top forward for your team, you'd BETTER do something :joker:

Bates was playing on the third and fourth lines until the injuries hit. Isles have had three to four forwards out some nights this year.

McDonald19 03-01-2004 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles4cups
Trade Parrish,Bates & 1st rounder for Gonchar and Witt.

Washington can get a better deal than that. They want younger players than parrish and Bates.

Darth Milbury 03-01-2004 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
Washington can get a better deal than that. They want younger players than parrish and Bates.


Three comments here:

1) Bates doesn't have much trade value. Maybe a fourth rounder.

2) I doubt the Isles have real interest in Gonachar. I'm sure they'd like to have Witt, but a trade with a conference rival is unlikely under any circumstances.

3) The Isles have a decent defense. Their real problem is a lack of grit on the wings.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-01-2004 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiki
I got two words for that..... Mike Knuble!



hehe..beat me to it. :joker:

Kvashinator12 03-01-2004 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Three comments here:

2) I doubt the Isles have real interest in Gonachar. I'm sure they'd like to have Witt, but a trade with a conference rival is unlikely under any circumstances.
.


severly disagree with this statement. Kozlov to jersey today is a perfect example.

Drake1588 03-01-2004 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles4cups
Here is my crazy offer.

You're right. It is a crazy offer.

The Caps will not take back anything carrying salary or over the age of 25, so Hamrlik, Parrish, and Bates are all players that the Caps will not take back in trade.

Incidentally, were that not already the case, you are underpaying for Gonchar and Witt, and overpaying for Nylander.

You clearly thought only of what would improve your team, without trying to put yourself in the position of the other team. Had you done so, you would have noted that the Capitals, as is clear to everyone following the league right now, are trading their stars for prospects and high draft picks. Older players run contrary to what Capitals management is trying to cobble together.

The only possible player with experience the Caps might add is Derek Morris, age 25, and that's only because he can log 30 minutes and play an elite defensive as well as offensive game... criteria that an older Hamrlik (age 30 in April) would not fulfill.

The only other thing I'd add is that your team is a lot more solid entering the playoffs than you think. You ought not to panic.

Darth Milbury 03-01-2004 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
severly disagree with this statement. Kozlov to jersey today is a perfect example.


I think you are taking the conference rival thing to mean any teams within the conference. That isn't what I meant.

Florida is not a conference rival for NJ. FLA is years away from making the playoffs, and there is no tradition of rivalry between the teams. I didn't say there would be NO trades within confrence - just not a deal between two conference rivals.

Washington, on the other hand, has been a big problem for the Isles over the yeasr. And, while they will not make the playoffs this year, there is an intense rivalry between the teams that should preclude most major deals.

Darth Milbury 03-01-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
You're right. It is a crazy offer.

The Caps will not take back anything carrying salary or over the age of 25, so Hamrlik, Parrish, and Bates are all players that the Caps will not take back in trade.

Incidentally, were that not already the case, you are underpaying for Gonchar and Witt, and overpaying for Nylander.

You clearly thought only of what would improve your team, without trying to put yourself in the position of the other team. Had you done so, you would have noted that the Capitals, as is clear to everyone following the league right now, are trading their stars for prospects and high draft picks. Older players run contrary to what Capitals management is trying to cobble together.

The only possible player with experience the Caps might add is Derek Morris, age 25, and that's only because he can log 30 minutes and play an elite defensive as well as offensive game... criteria that an older Hamrlik (age 30 in April) would not fulfill.

The only other thing I'd add is that your team is a lot more solid entering the playoffs than you think. You ought not to panic.


Don't you every get tired of being so damn balanced and informed? :handclap:

Kvashinator12 03-01-2004 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I think you are taking the conference rival thing to mean any teams within the conference. That isn't what I meant.

Florida is not a conference rival for NJ. FLA is years away from making the playoffs, and there is no tradition of rivalry between the teams. I didn't say there would be NO trades within confrence - just not a deal between two conference rivals.

Washington, on the other hand, has been a big problem for the Isles over the yeasr. And, while they will not make the playoffs this year, there is an intense rivalry between the teams that should preclude most major deals.


I just think that washington is even further away thatn Florida from the playoffs. I really wouldn't call our problems with Washington a rivalry, but moreso our ineptitude versus them.

Drake1588 03-01-2004 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Don't you every get tired of being so damn balanced and informed? :handclap:

Well, if it helps, even though I knew the Caps were going to get slammed in the Jagr trade, I held out hope right up until the very end that McPhee might somehow land Fedor Tjutin in return. :) Then reality came and whacked me upside the head.

I have the sneaking suspicion that the Caps-Islanders record of the last several years will even out over the course of the next couple of seasons. The whole rebuild is shaping up to be rather painful to watch from a DC perspective, in the short term. I think I might hibernate until 2006. :)

Darth Milbury 03-01-2004 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
Well, if it helps, even though I knew the Caps were going to get slammed in the Jagr trade, I held out hope right up until the very end that McPhee might somehow land Fedor Tjutin in return. :) Then reality came and whacked me upside the head.

I have the sneaking suspicion that the Caps-Islanders record of the last several years will even out over the course of the next couple of seasons. The whole rebuild is shaping up to be rather painful to watch from a DC perspective, in the short term. I think I might hibernate until 2006. :)


I personally think it will all work out fine for Washington (and, btw, I lived in DC for years and used to be a season ticket holder at the old Caps center in Landover). The wildcard here is the lockout and resulting new CBA. Washington, with you new leaner payroll and nice collections of picks and prospects should do fine.

Drake1588 03-01-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I personally think it will all work out fine for Washington (and, btw, I lived in DC for years and used to be a season ticket holder at the old Caps center in Landover). The wildcard here is the lockout and resulting new CBA. Washington, with you new leaner payroll and nice collections of picks and prospects should do fine.

I do agree with that, to be honest. I've friends lining up to commit seppuku, but the prospect pool looks promising and I try to tell them that. It will take time, but honestly what the team could use most is another two seasons of bottom three finishes and the draft picks that come with it. That is now likely to happen, and there is a realistic shot at Crosby, which should make Caps fans, perhaps perversely, look forward to next season. Feh, the rebuild was overdue anyway.

The only thing that worries me is the possibility that McPhee does not return, whether by his own choice or that of his employer. His contract expires at season's end, and the Rangers have courted him in the past. There are some of us in Washington who put a great deal of the onus for the last couple of years on Leonsis. Quietly, to the extent that Leonsis has let him do his job, McPhee has taken a barren farm system and stocked it with gritty WHL alumni.

The future does look good, but the short term will be... pretty homely if as many kids as it appears right now will be starters.

As for myself, I grew up in Montreal and left in '90. Getting used to diminished expectations in DC took some getting used to, but I think I've more or less embraced it now. :) Had Caps seasons' tickets for three years, balked when I saw what the defense would look like this season, but am considering a full package for next season. I like watching players develop.

islandermaniac 03-01-2004 09:21 PM

out of curiosity, just why in the hell has anson carter's name not been mentioned? at least lang produced points for his salary. carter meanwhile is stinking up the league (has been for quite some time now) and is being handsomely rewarded. so, my question to caps fans is: is the man moving or staying and if it's the latter...why?

Drake1588 03-01-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandermaniac
out of curiosity, just why in the hell has anson carter's name not been mentioned? at least lang produced points for his salary. carter meanwhile is stinking up the league (has been for quite some time now) and is being handsomely rewarded. so, my question to caps fans is: is the man moving or staying and if it's the latter...why?

Well, he's not garnering interest because he has had a pretty bad year. Will they keep him? I would be surprised if they did. This might be one of the RFAs who will be allowed to become a UFA by his team as the CBA expiration approaches.

Darth Milbury 03-02-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandermaniac
out of curiosity, just why in the hell has anson carter's name not been mentioned? at least lang produced points for his salary. carter meanwhile is stinking up the league (has been for quite some time now) and is being handsomely rewarded. so, my question to caps fans is: is the man moving or staying and if it's the latter...why?


I was just thinking about that last night. He seems like a prime candidate for a deal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.