HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Hörnqvist and Jones reassigned to Milwaukee (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=574678)

worstfaceoffmanever 11-20-2008 03:03 PM

Hörnqvist and Jones reassigned to Milwaukee

Something's up.

I tend to think this means Ortmeyer is being re-activated, but also this is a chance for Hörnqvist to get his confidence up. If Hörnqvist can start scoring some goals in Milwaukee, I think it might translate better to the NHL and help him at this level.

Jones, on the other hand, is a mystery to me. I thought he was doing okay.

cjerina 11-20-2008 03:39 PM

Looking like a good choice to road trip to Des Moines this weekend for the games. Milwaukee could use some solid scorers.

jstreet 11-20-2008 05:37 PM

suprised to see Jones going away.

why not send Ortmeyer down for conditioning? and what does he bring that Jones doesnt?

Seth Lake 11-20-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 16423262)
suprised to see Jones going away.

why not send Ortmeyer down for conditioning? and what does he bring that Jones doesnt?

This move has ZERO to do with Ortmeyer. Jed hasn't even been cleared to practice yet and won't be until the end of this week at the earliest. He is not going to be activated until he is ready to play games in Milwaukee for conditioning, that won't happen for a couple weeks at the earliest once he starts practicing in Nashville.

darth5 11-20-2008 06:17 PM

Agree with Slake-- something must be up. Anybody have a clue?

ElRey 11-20-2008 09:33 PM

Hmm...

I don't. I thought that both of these guys were doing pretty well for rookies who have never played an AHL game before. But with that said who's to say that a little time in the minors wont be really good for both. Get them on a team where they're relied on offensively and can get some real ice time and favorable situations against a little easier competition and see what happens...I would always rather see a guy earn his way on the team by turning some heads in the minors rather than being handed a roster spot out of training camp with no professional experience. Could be really good for both of them. Milwaukee plays on Friday and again on Saturday and I'm anxious to see if they'll be able to make an immediate impact on a pretty good team.

Seth Lake 11-20-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElRey (Post 16427655)
I don't. I thought that both of these guys were doing pretty well for rookies who have never played an AHL game before. But with that said who's to say that a little time in the minors wont be really good for both. Get them on a team where they're relied on offensively and can get some real ice time and favorable situations against a little easier competition and see what happens...I would always rather see a guy earn his way on the team by turning some heads in the minors rather than being handed a roster spot out of training camp with no professional experience. Could be really good for both of them. Milwaukee plays on Friday and again on Saturday and I'm anxious to see if they'll be able to make an immediate impact on a pretty good team.

My point was that this move had nothing to do with Ortmeyer. Honestly, it's pretty hard to disagree there...

As for Jones and Hornqvist, you are right, hopefully they will take advantage of their experience having started the season in the NHL and be able to prove to everyone that they have no business being in Milwaukee.

That would be great for Poile and Trotz because it would allow them to put pressure on veteran guys that are underperforming at the NHL level. Jones and Hornqvist are going to be given the opportunity to play the top line minutes they need to advance at the NHL level. If they succeed in Milwaukee, then they will probably be thrown into those roles at the NHL level upon returning. However, if they show that they could use some time in Milwaukee for seasoning purposes, then look for another player (ie: Pihlstrom and O'Reilly at forward and Sulzer on defense) to be called up in their place.

This is the only roster flexibility we had. Poile has been trying for weeks to get Sulzer up to Nashville because he is not happy with our top 7 at present and thinks that Sulzer is playing better. Trust me, Klein and Koistinen will both be told that if they don't prove they belong at this level...that they will be moved. Sulzer is our most NHL ready prospect right now.

Overall, this move came as a shock to even me...but, it had to be expected when you sit back and look at the overall scheme of things because it was our only option to provide flexibility without giving up any of our assets.

BTW, Trotz called out Jones at practice Wednesday morning pretty vocally in front of the whole team for coming down off his point man to double the puck coming up the boards and totally throwing off the whole defensive zone coverage scheme. He also chastised Legwand for not reading that Jones is doing it and switching men to cover the now wide open point man.

Overall, Trotz and the rest of the coaching staff were not very happy yesterday. I'm sure that whatever was shown emotionally in public only scratched the surface of the emotions behind closed doors. Change was definitely needed to shake some things up, because it has become obvious that the players were too comfortable with their spots and knew that the organization had no one to pressure them with because of the inflexibility of our roster.

This move gives Poile a few days to work his magic with the rest of the league to see if there are any moves for him to make that would better our team. And it also allows Trotzy to tell the guys that they are it, no distractions, no excuses. Get the job done or we have guys down in Milwaukee that are dying to take your spot and get the opportunity you have right in front of you.

ElRey 11-21-2008 06:12 PM

Well put mi amigo. I'm anxious to see how the guys respond tonight to the added pressure. I expect to see an emotional, tough game on our part in Tampa and I only hope that the goalie ( whoever it may be :sarcasm: ) can match what the forwards bring.