HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers may be in a lot of cap trouble soon - Cap Going Down to 55M (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=574797)

Dagoon44 11-20-2008 08:21 PM

Rangers may be in a lot of cap trouble soon - Cap Going Down to 55M

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2566...headlines_main

Gomez,Captain and Hank will equal 1/2 the cap lol

silverfish 11-20-2008 08:29 PM

uh oh spaghetti o's

not to mention that we have rozsival and redden locked up to huge deals as well.

Burlington Bomb 26 11-20-2008 08:32 PM

Rosy will get das boot.

z1co80 11-20-2008 08:33 PM

There's a salary cap???

somebody better phone and tell Sather:)

ECL 11-20-2008 08:34 PM

Rozsival will be enjoying his stay in Hartford, I guess!

FLYLine24 11-20-2008 08:43 PM

Why are we going to be in cap trouble? The cap will be about 55 million next season. We have about that in salary right now.

Its only going down 1.5 million.

Carlos Ranger 11-20-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unk (Post 16427526)
With 24 teams over the hypothetical $48m cap

Are you reading the article? The cap will not drop anymore than a million or two, if at all. The players will be losing money, but there will be little effect on the team, and who they can retain.

Unk 11-20-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DruMez (Post 16427988)
Are you reading the article? The cap will not drop anymore than a million or two, if at all. The players will be losing money, but there will be little effect on the team, and who they can retain.

Heh, oops. I was going by the same exact topic on the main forum. I'm an idiot.

Burlington Bomb 26 11-20-2008 09:01 PM

I bet all my v-cash says the Cap goes up this off-season. I do have a feeling the NHL will end up disassembling from the CBA, if it does indeed go down, which will hurt 24 of 30 teams.

NYRSchrute217 11-20-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR (Post 16428515)
I bet all my v-cash says the Cap goes up this off-season. I do have a feeling the NHL will end up disassembling from the CBA, if it does indeed go down, which will hurt 24 of 30 teams.

OMG NOT THE VCASH!!!!!!!

Burlington Bomb 26 11-20-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 (Post 16429390)
OMG NOT THE VCASH!!!!!!!

what else am I supposed to bet, may I ask you?

drewcon40 11-20-2008 09:31 PM

How many years are left on the current CBA? I thought it was a 6 year agreement and we are in year 4 of it. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

bobbop 11-20-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

The Looney hit 79 cents on the dollar yesterday. If it goes much lower, it will singlehandidly drag the cap down. The only solace for the Rangers is that 10-12 teams will be in the same boatr.

The Thomas J.* 11-20-2008 10:48 PM

No new Free agents in the near future for the Rangers.

SaveByLundqvist 11-20-2008 11:36 PM

I was actually talking about this to my buddy today ... not to add on to the Rozsival bashing but he has to be the odd man out ... we got 11 million wrapped up in Redden and Rozy when we got so many good young d coming up(Dizzy and Bobbysangs) plus Girardi and Staal have been more reliable in my opinion and when the times comes we're gonna need to resign them. I would love to see something along the lines of Rozsival, Prucha, ? and Future Considerations(if J-Bo resigns) for J-Bo I know that trade doesn't sound like much but Sather has pulled off some good deals before and Florida has been fleeced before... If J-Bo doesn't resign well have cleared up Rozy's terrible contract and if he does well give up some picks and have replaced Rozy with J-Bo ... win win situation;)

z1co80 11-21-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 16431114)
No new Free agents in the near future for the Rangers.

That could be a good thing, meaning no more vastly overpaid players for a while

NYR Sting 11-21-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangersfan30 (Post 16432423)

Only because we already have so many.

bumrusherer 11-21-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

But sometimes there are players out there who are worth the dollar.

I think this is much ado about nothing and would be surprised if the cap went down.

guyincognito 11-21-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

No way it's going up. Canadian revenue is getting killed by exchange and there's only a couple of teams in the US that are outperforming. They won't even come close to making up for it.

Still, as long as it's not more than escrow, it doesn't have an effect. The players just get their salary reduced. NEXT YEAR, though, if things don't get better, will be ugly. Look at your sponsors on the boards, half of them are financial companies. Those Fords parked in The Rock will probably be repo'd soon... etc. STH's have already paid, they might not next year, box sales, things like that.

eco's bones 11-21-2008 01:32 AM

FWIW it brings reality back into the equation. It's been discussed before that things don't always go on an upward projection. It's simple the Rangers need to be smarter about the free agents they sign. As well teams need to be constantly developing their prospect base with the idea of 2-3 new guys with their entry level contracts every year. There may well be no extra money to give Dubinsky or Zherdev. These guys and Staal and Girardi are more important to the future of the team than Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival.

Chimp 11-21-2008 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 16427971)
Why are we going to be in cap trouble? The cap will be about 55 million next season. We have about that in salary right now.

Its only going down 1.5 million.

Because we will have to re-sign a couple of players, that will demand a raise? Zherdev and Dubinsky quickly comes to mind, especially Dubi that in no way will re-sign for a measly $600k. But more than half the team has a contract expiring as well. Then Staal and Girardi will be re-signed the summer after this one.
Quote:

Too late to bring us to a toilet now, we have already crapped in our pants.

And with the worst economic world crisis in a very long time, things can get even worse. This TSN article writes about... err... wth does that article say? Escrow money? Wth is that? *checks dictionary* What? Real estates and security money? What does that have to do with anything in the NHL salary cap? Does it say it will look like the franchise pay out $56.7 million in salaries, but in reality they only have to pay out $48 million?

TheZherdev 11-21-2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist (Post 16431750)
I was actually talking about this to my buddy today ... not to add on to the Rozsival bashing but he has to be the odd man out ... we got 11 million wrapped up in Redden and Rozy when we got so many good young d coming up(Dizzy and Bobbysangs) plus Girardi and Staal have been more reliable in my opinion and when the times comes we're gonna need to resign them. I would love to see something along the lines of Rozsival, Prucha, ? and Future Considerations(if J-Bo resigns) for J-Bo I know that trade doesn't sound like much but Sather has pulled off some good deals before and Florida has been fleeced before... If J-Bo doesn't resign well have cleared up Rozy's terrible contract and if he does well give up some picks and have replaced Rozy with J-Bo ... win win situation;)

umm how incredibly contradictory. You make the point that we cant keep roszival because of his salary. So we trade him for J-bo who is expected to make a similar salary when he re-signs? Im more intent that by next year we trade roszival preferably for a pick, prospect, or a vermette type player (talented cheap salary). And we re-sign mara, and bring potter and Sangs into the mix. Eventually Del zotto will be ready. Honestly I wouldnt mind getting rid of both redden and roszival at some point. They are not worth their contracts, and our young guys are doing just as well as they do.

Staal-Girardi
Mara-Sanguinetti
Del Zotto-Potter

Im fine with that defensive line up 2 years down the road. If someone is not ready i dont mind keeping Kalinin around until we sort things out. Just imagine what we could do with our cap if we got rid of roszival and redden. In 2 years if redden roszival naslund prucha are all off the team. That frees up more than 16 million. WIth some of the raises players will get, I think we should still have room to sign kovlachuck.

it would be fun to see
kovalchuck-Gomez-Zherdev
Korpikoski-Dubinsky-Drury
Dawes-Anisimov-Callahan
Sjo-Betts-Orr/Fritsche

Staal-Girardi
Mara-Sanguinetti
Del Zotto-Potter

Lundqvist

I really do think that would be a cup contending line-up 2 years down the road.

jas 11-21-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 16432753)
FWIW it brings reality back into the equation. It's been discussed before that things don't always go on an upward projection. It's simple the Rangers need to be smarter about the free agents they sign. As well teams need to be constantly developing their prospect base with the idea of 2-3 new guys with their entry level contracts every year. There may well be no extra money to give Dubinsky or Zherdev. These guys and Staal and Girardi are more important to the future of the team than Gomez, Drury, Redden and Roszival.

The money is there for both Zherdev and Dubinsky, not to mention Staal the following year. People are worried that Zherdev is going to want 5 million...HE ALREADY MAKES $2.3 million. Prucha comes off at season's end, and Rissmiller could end up in Hartford - voila!...$2.6 million right there. Plus, there's $750,000 in dead cap space due to the Jagr buyout. And, one the D-men, most likely Kalinin, won't be here, adding another $2.1 million in cap space. And, in two years, you've got Naslund's $4 million coming off. I'm not worried about anyone of Zherdev, Staal or Dubinsky getting signed. What the current situation means is that, unless contracts like the ones given to Rozsival and Gomez are moved, there's no flexibility to add premier free agents, so the Rangers will have to count on developing the likes of Anisimov, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto and Grachev, along with continuing to develop Zherdev, Staal, Dubinsky, Korpikoski Girardi and Callahan, to comprise the core. In addition, the Rangers are going to have to find deals like the Zherdev deal, young skilled players, who haven't quite found their game, and have fallen out of favor with their current clubs, to add more skill.

SML 11-21-2008 05:31 AM

Sooner or later we are going to have to wake up to the reality that most NHL teams live in, one where you are forced to let a good, young, popular player in his prime walk away not because of anything he does on the ice, but because it's the right decision business wise. The endless Xmas is over. Shrewd cap managers will be the ones with successful teams in this era.

NorthlandPro 11-21-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 16427246)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2566...headlines_main

Gomez,Captain and Hank will equal 1/2 the cap lol

You need to look at the contracts that are coming off at the end of this year and then the following year. I think we will actually be positioned very well. The salary structure of NHL teams will look very much like the NFL, minus the felons, where the star players make big bucks and the rest of the roster is filled with young players making the minimum or close to it and vets who have no leverage. That is why it was so important for Sather to structure the organization the way he has. The key, as it always has been, will be to keep the prospect pipeline open. It will actually be more important than it was before the cap era.

Look around at teams that have had barren prospect pools and have been required to spend on FAs to really create a roster and those are the teams that will be in trouble. To a certain extent we did that as well, but it was because we had prospects but they weren't ready vs not having them at all.