HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Steve Sullivan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=575080)

KingSundin 11-21-2008 02:26 PM

Steve Sullivan

Does anyone knows what's happening with this guy? Is he coming back this year or if at all? I know he had back surgery and is out but does anyone know for how long?

Joe T Choker 11-21-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky7 (Post 16438476)
Does anyone knows what's happening with this guy? Is he coming back this year or if at all? I know he had back surgery and is out but does anyone know for how long?

he's probably done for good

Paranoid Android 11-21-2008 03:27 PM

December seems to be the special month for him. He didn't come back last December, so they are hoping he returns this December!

worstfaceoffmanever 11-21-2008 03:51 PM

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag gggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Enoch 11-22-2008 12:48 AM

He is finished. From all reports, his surgeries were not the cure-all they had hoped for, and he has not regained the physical abilities he needs to continue to play.

Pachyderm I 11-22-2008 06:26 AM

How sad. I love Sully. :(

Habs10Habs 12-01-2008 09:35 AM

This is the lastest news I've heard about Sullivan. It doesn't sound great, but it's better than no improvement at all.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...811300407/1028

kakemono 12-02-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 16588544)
This is the lastest news I've heard about Sullivan. It doesn't sound great, but it's better than no improvement at all.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...811300407/1028

They have been saying he is getting better for the last 2 years. There are always reports he is almost ready to go - then we read another that says he can't even play with his kids in the back yard b/c back pain.

AVE MAN 12-13-2008 01:40 AM

http://tennessean.com/article/200812...19/1002/SPORTS

Looks like Sullivan is getting ready to practice with the team. There has been no set backs.
That's Great News!!!

BigFatCat999 12-13-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVE MAN (Post 16787733)
http://tennessean.com/article/200812...19/1002/SPORTS

Looks like Sullivan is getting ready to practice with the team. There has been no set backs.
That's Great News!!!

I love showing that article to unknowing Bj's fans to get them to go emo and start cutting themselves. In all honesty, I think he gets back into a game, is not effective, and is out as soon as he came in. I can't question his determination though.

Enoch 12-13-2008 11:07 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.

predfan24 12-13-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 16790037)
I'll believe it when I see it.

DITTO

flannelman 12-13-2008 03:51 PM

still wish the guy all the luck in getting back on the ice.

Seth Lake 12-16-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Predators forward Steve Sullivan is participating in a full team practice today, his first since suffering a back injury in February of 2007.

Sullivan had participated in a morning skate with a handful of teammates a couple of weeks ago, but the full practice appears to be another step in his recovery process. Sullivan has collected 158 points in 150 games as a Predator.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...17/1002/SPORTS

And I almost went to practice this morning and decided against it at the last minute...

Will be interesting to see if he is at practice tomorrow or whether or not he either takes the day off to rest or experiences any setbacks.

Enoch 12-16-2008 03:49 PM

It looks like this may happen, but I refuse to get my hopes up. Regardless of whether or not he makes it on the ice or not, he could go down again at any time (and probably will unfortunately).

jstreet 12-16-2008 04:58 PM

Im not getting my hopes up. If he takes the ice for a regular shift I will start to dream a little.

crossxcheck 12-16-2008 08:49 PM

his returning is about like hampton's return to the braves last season...it'd be niced if it happened, probably won't, and anything we get out of him is a bonus.

Enoch 12-16-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck (Post 16844690)
his returning is about like hampton's return to the braves last season...it'd be niced if it happened, probably won't, and anything we get out of him is a bonus.

Great comparison :handclap:

Seth Lake 12-17-2008 01:57 PM

Sully was the first person on the ice this morning at practice and stayed throughout the entire workout. A great sign to see that he was back on the ice again this morning after going through the practice yesterday.

Participated in about 40% of the drills overall. Wearing a red jersey (meaning no contact), didn't partake in drills involving battle along the boards or in the corners. Rotated through on defense actually throughout the first half of practice (only 7 d - Ville still the odd man out) and looked to be moving pretty well. Made good outlet passes, however his shot was on the weakside and he couldn't hit the net from the point with great accuracy, but those things hopefully will come with more practice. Actually didn't look bad on defense, obviously wasn't playing the body (Arnott and he were having quite the laugh about it in front of the net daring each other), but made several nice plays using his smarts and skating ability to block passing lanes and breakup several plays.

Sully kept ramping up his strength behind his point shots as the drills progressed, but I noticed that he still wasn't really leaning into his slap shots (ie: keeping his body weight down throughout the windup and release, hitting the stick about an inch behind the puck) and I can only assume that is due to the torque that is generated on your back/spine when shooting a full bore slapper.

Pretty much had to sit out the second half of practice as it involved all battle drills that he is not ready for, however towards the end of practice Sully rotated in on the PK against PP2 and really showed me at least that he isn't out of practice moving around in the box. Sully used full stops and starts to manuever and showed a good first step in what I think was his favorite segment of being back on the ice.

PP2 got quite the workout from Trotz who even huddled them up at one point and was very animated in demonstrating that he wants shots, shots, and more shots out of the unit. Immediately after the huddle, Trotz pulled Legwand off the PP and put him on the kill after Leggy passed up a shot opportunity, then the same thing happened to Peverley, and then Pihlstrom. When these guys rotated back into the PP they were launching shots from all angles and actually put a couple past Rinne!

The interesting part about the PP/PK segment of practice was that when he wasn't killing (which he asked Trotz to do - Barry asked him "are you sure" and Sully simply nodded, winked, and told Pihlstrom to get out of there) Sully was talking with the players waiting in the neutral zone and at the points about different options in certain situations. He also grabbed Peterson's ear for the whole time Trotz was huddling with PP2 and was very active talking about different options with Trotz and Horachek throughout. It was good to see his excitement about simply being back on the ice with the guys and hopefully that'll turn into more production on the PP as he continues to grab their ears.

Overall, an encouraging sign to see him out there again today on back to back days. Still, the status quo remains that anything he is able to provide would be a bonus and it is quite clear that until we see him in a color other than red, he is still a ways away.

worstfaceoffmanever 12-17-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 16853586)
PP2 got quite the workout from Trotz who even huddled them up at one point and was very animated in demonstrating that he wants shots, shots, and more shots out of the unit. Immediately after the huddle, Trotz pulled Legwand off the PP and put him on the kill after Leggy passed up a shot opportunity, then the same thing happened to Peverley, and then Pihlstrom. When these guys rotated back into the PP they were launching shots from all angles and actually put a couple past Rinne!

This, for me, was the best news out of this practice.

Joe T Choker 12-17-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 16853586)

'bout ****ing time ... maybe, just maybe it's starting to get in there head ... and why did it take so long for Trotz to get in their **** ? ... or maybe they watched too much of that highlight goal from Semin to Ovechkin (behind the back pass) last night in the Islander game

Seth Lake 12-17-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer (Post 16854359)
'bout ****ing time ... maybe, just maybe it's starting to get in there head ... and why did it take so long for Trotz to get in their **** ? ... or maybe they watched too much of that highlight goal from Semin to Ovechkin (behind the back pass) last night in the Islander game

What draws you to the conclusion that this is the first time Trotz has done this? I've seen Trotzy become animated with the PP units as a whole and individually at different points in the past. I've seen Horachek blow his top at the PP multiple times, and Peterson too.

I think it is always a progression. The coaches see something, they point it out to the players, the players do it again, it is corrected again, but eventually the cycle repeats itself to the point where the coaches obviously aren't getting the desired result with quiet communication methods and need to ramp up the volume to see if they can't solve the issue that way.

sparkle twin 12-19-2008 02:40 AM

It's great to hear that Sully practiced 2 days in a row with the team before they left. Congrats to him for finally seeing all that hard work pay off and just get to practice with his teammates again. I don't think any of us can really understand how good that made him feel, especially for his confidence. Good luck to him! :handclap:

I hope that he can come back someday and continue to play for us. I'm not expecting anything this season since the earliest he would be back (assuming everything went right for him) would be about March.

Boyesfan 12-19-2008 02:45 AM

You know even as a Blues fan I have always liked Sullivan, So I hope him the best and that he can continue to play someday.. Just hope it is the blues :)

DManPreds11 12-20-2008 12:19 AM

Good news but until the "contact" drills are attempted, he's still a long way off from skating through the Pred's Head. I wonder if he doesn't make it this season in a game if we'll resign him to make the cap floor, then let the insurance pay his salary for the team, just a thought. Having a 50-75% Sully is better than a healthy Ward IMO.