HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What's Wrong with the PP ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=57529)

Traitor8 03-02-2004 09:52 AM

What's Wrong with the PP ?

What's wrong with the Powerplay for the last 2 games ? We have been terrible and that can come back to haunt us. You win games on special teams and we could of buried the Hurricanes with 9 opportunities we had and we could of ended the Devils game early with a couple of goals on it.

Now, Yes Souray will be back but I still think we need an offensive force to play on the PowerPlay...Jagr..Kovalev...Lindros..another player??

What do you think?

Dan K 03-02-2004 09:56 AM

Ryan Smyth crashing the net on our PP would be nice too :D

Bob Bastards 03-02-2004 09:59 AM

Anybody who think that a 102 mph slapshot don't make a difference in PP is having a problem with is brain. The absence of Souray really hurt, but we don't need a big head player like Jagr or Kovalev. When Souray is back, PP will start to score again. The team chemistry is starting to take form, its not a good time to trade for a big player who will stir $hit in the dressing room like Jagr.

electric 03-02-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
What's wrong with the Powerplay for the last 2 games ? We have been terrible and that can come back to haunt us. You win games on special teams and we could of buried the Hurricanes with 9 opportunities we had and we could of ended the Devils game early with a couple of goals on it.

Now, Yes Souray will be back but I still think we need an offensive force to play on the PowerPlay...Jagr..Kovalev...Lindros..another player??

What do you think?

It depends who we play against. The Hurricanes had all of their players guarding the neutral zone so the only choice the Habs had to get into the zone was to dump it in. And pretty much every time we dumped it in, the Hurricanes were the first ones to get the puck and to throw it out. The Hurricanes are bigger and faster than the Habs, making it really difficult to win battles in the corners.

Plus, when the Habs were controlling the puck in the offensive zone on the PP, the Hurricanes were playing very aggressively and forced the puck carrier to cough up the puck.

mcphee 03-02-2004 10:05 AM

I think that the PP is just a bit stale right now. I noticed Koivu driving the puck in when the wingers were stationary. I think they get a little tight against NJ because they try and keep the puck away from Brodeur. My guess is that the opposition has made a few adjustments and it's up to the Habs to respond.

CoupeStanley 03-02-2004 10:06 AM

We need Markov on the 1st PP and not Brisebois

Traitor8 03-02-2004 10:06 AM

Sakuuuuuuu.

How do you take a player's picture and put a Habs Jersey on him?
I want to do it.

oli500 03-02-2004 10:18 AM

Were just not getting the bounces we use to get. Souray not being in there is also another big reason, because he use to be are number one treath on the pp. I say as soone as we get souray back we take koivu of the point and put markov. During the playoffs we're going to have two good power play unit's if we want to succed and having ribeiro and saku on one unit just wont work.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-02-2004 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley

Yep.

gunnerdom 03-02-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Sakuuuuuuu.

How do you take a player's picture and put a Habs Jersey on him?
I want to do it.

It's pretty easy with Photoshop. You just cut out the head of the guy with the jersey, then use the laso tool to cut around the head of the new player than paste it on. Well it's a little meticulous than that but, that's about it.

Brett38 03-02-2004 10:49 AM

All teams go through a dry spell on the PP. They just have to find ways to win...like the Habs have been doing.

I would like to see a big Power Forward who can score on that first line. Someone with a bit of experience.

Maybe another D. Bouillon is giving 200%, but as I mentioned one time before he is too small for the playoff grind.

Lets do it again out west.

Slick Nick 03-02-2004 10:54 AM

Quote:

Exactly, he has been playing great hockey lately. Before his father passed away, Markov was getting points on the PP, and then I remember Brisebois saying publicly that he didn't understand why Julien chose Markov instead of him to play on the 1st PP. I hope it's just a coincidence...

Traitor8 03-02-2004 10:58 AM

Brisebois never said that....

Slick Nick 03-02-2004 11:10 AM

Quote:

Brisebois never said that....

He did, to Mathias Brunet at La Presse.

CoupeStanley 03-02-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli500
Were just not getting the bounces we use to get. Souray not being in there is also another big reason, because he use to be are number one treath on the pp. I say as soone as we get souray back we take koivu of the point and put markov. During the playoffs we're going to have two good power play unit's if we want to succed and having ribeiro and saku on one unit just wont work.

What about playing one of them the whole 2 minutes ?

Traitor8 03-02-2004 11:35 AM

a superstar player wil be hard to acquire..

what about Martin Rucinsky ?
He understands the defensive system ..he is a +19. I think he can help on the Powerplay .

CoupeStanley 03-02-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

a superstar player wil be hard to acquire..

He understands the defensive system ..he is a +19. I think he can help on the Powerplay .

We need a gritty winger, not another soft one

All-Star 03-02-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Now you're just talking crazy! :eek:

Howie Morenz 03-02-2004 11:44 AM

We miss Souray and his shot. When he is on the point during the pp,the defenders are more cautious and play him tighter because of his shot. Right now defenders are sitting back more in a box which tightens up the slot area,which means less room to manoever. Until he returns our pp dmen aren't getting that extra attention(their shots aren't as dangerous)

Anksun 03-02-2004 11:46 AM

Souray on the PP is just so much than a 102mph shot.

The point is BECAUSE he's a 102mph shot he was receiving "special" coverage (well when he was not... he was shooting and shooting and scoring so :) ). This special coverage open the zone for the forwards to move and make plays.

Right now, the other team forwards stay close to the blue line without rushing our def and if this can gives some opportunities to shoot from the blue line, it does not open the ice for ours offensive forwards...

Anyways, they will be ok as like another one mentionned, a PP is usually working up and down as the other team adjust (?) to your PP until you adjust again...
And for now, we are winning our games so :)

EaGLE1 03-02-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

I don't agree. Both are effective. Brisebois force is on PP. Markov is a very good player too. 4 quarters for a dollar.

tinyzombies 03-02-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

ding ding ding

Correct answer...

Patrice is a bit in love with his shot these days. He shoots the puck when there is nobody in front of the net. I don't know if it's his problem or what, maybe a bit of both.

Markov seems to be stepping up his game again tho, and Julien should feed his confidence by giving him more PP time, no question.

Aarex 03-02-2004 07:31 PM

I'm sick of seeing us dumping the puck into opp's end without chasing it on the PP...Montreal has been great on the PP this season because they always were applying lots of pressure. in the past few games there has been very little.

#44_delivers 03-02-2004 07:46 PM

with souray we have arguably a top 5 pp unit, without him we are around 15-20th, his shot waz a critical point but more important was he atracts alote of attention wich gave our forwards more time to weve there magic, also he keeps the puck in the offencive zone way better then bresbois does also he dumps it in better then bresbois as well.
damn i miss him sooooo much :cry:

Team_Spirit 03-02-2004 07:49 PM

We need a good second slave .

Ryder - Koivu - Zednik
Markov - Bouillon

Perrault - Ribeiro - Dagenais
Brisebois - HAINSEY ( yes play with 7 d-mens )