HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Smolinski-Kostopolous-Begin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=575788)

SlickM32 11-23-2008 11:27 AM

Smolinski-Kostopolous-Begin

Is there any chance that not having this line this season is contributing the what you all are saying is the lack of desire or what not. I remember this line gave us fits last season and by watching you guys play, aside from Laraque, there isn't a really nitty gritty line like this. If I were Gainey, I would try and sign up Smolinski to a cheap deal and reunite this line. I know his numbers weren't great, but I think that would help the team. What do you all think?

NOTE: Please don't go all bashing, I'm simply asking a question.

Little Nilan 11-23-2008 11:28 AM

:laugh:

Magic33 11-23-2008 11:30 AM

:shakehead

Mike8 11-23-2008 11:33 AM

Smolinski was awful and showed little desire in Montreal.

Begin and Kostopoulos did. They're still on the team.

I don't see desire as being a problem on this club. Kostopoulos is playing with A.Kostitsyn and Lang, neither of which suffer from lack of desire, in my view.

The team has opted to go with grit/forechecker on all four lines, meaning the fourth line itself also plays with some skill. If it chose not to, then the fourth line would likely consist of Begin or Kostopoulos with Lapierre & Laraque--none of whom lack desire.

Vinceee 11-23-2008 11:33 AM

habs were by FAR the grittiest team yesterday

the reason we lost is beause we are in a scoring slump and Thomas is playing with a horseshoe in his butt...

Smolinski wouldnt make a difference

Joey 11-23-2008 11:44 AM

Smolinski was our worst player for 85% of the season. He only made us happy VS the Devils and for a while down the stretch

The n00b King * 11-23-2008 12:07 PM

Smolinski was only useful versus the Devils and Bruins. That's about it.

CareyClutch 11-23-2008 12:17 PM

This thread must be a joke..

JrHockeyFan 11-23-2008 01:20 PM

Kostopoulos and Begin are still with the team. I thought Smolinski was marginal at best although he shone against the devils for some reason

I don't think the absence of this particular line is a factor in any regard

CareyPrice x 31 11-23-2008 01:21 PM

:facepalm:

Sir Jacques Demers 11-23-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaydee96 (Post 16468737)
:facepalm:

:handclap::yo::nod:

To the thread creatior :help:

Smolinski was a terrible, terrible player. Why anyone even thought to ever defend him is beyond me. People even said he was great in the playoffs. He wasn't. He was average, which was leaps and bounds better than he was during the season.

I'd prefer Nedved, Juneau or Claude Lemieux over Smolinski

Spectaculard 11-23-2008 01:54 PM

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Wow.

CrAzYNiNe 11-23-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrychair (Post 16469112)
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Wow.

ya dumbest thing you ever heard...
the guy asked a legitimate question, with people answering that 2 of the 3 players on that line were gritty. All this Bruin fan saw, again like some poster said, Smoke played well against the Bs.
So for him to not know EVERYTHING about the Habs, that is why he asked a question.

GJ habs fans on being total losers when all he did was ask a simple question, by which maybe 2 people gave him a proper answer.

Stupid habs fans is all I see.

edit: and to say we dont lack desire, watch any line with Kovalev out there. All he tries to do is his stupid moves that aren't working. If Carbs can get him back to playing simple intensity filled hockey, we would be on the right track.

Andrighetto Fabolous 11-23-2008 02:10 PM

If we want grit and someone to stabilize our 4th line we got a guy named Kyle Chipchura we can call up, which still boggles my mind why he's still in the AHL considering our current 4th line center has been in coach Carbonneau's dog house the last week or so.

snakeye 11-23-2008 02:14 PM

Smolinski = 2 mil, 25 points
Lang = 4 mil, on pace to 56 points

Pretty proportional if you ask me.

Btw who was Smolinski playing with last season?

JrHockeyFan 11-23-2008 02:19 PM

What gives with these Bruins fans posting all these silly threads. Anybody going to deal with this crap?

Iwishihadacup 11-23-2008 02:26 PM

And this, believe it or not, happened after them beating us once in regulation, and once in shootouts...

And we are the cocky losers :shakehead

JrHockeyFan 11-23-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe (Post 16469315)
ya dumbest thing you ever heard...
the guy asked a legitimate question, with people answering that 2 of the 3 players on that line were gritty. All this Bruin fan saw, again like some poster said, Smoke played well against the Bs.
So for him to not know EVERYTHING about the Habs, that is why he asked a question.

GJ habs fans on being total losers when all he did was ask a simple question, by which maybe 2 people gave him a proper answer.

Stupid habs fans is all I see.

edit: and to say we dont lack desire, watch any line with Kovalev out there. All he tries to do is his stupid moves that aren't working. If Carbs can get him back to playing simple intensity filled hockey, we would be on the right track.

You really think this question was legit? No sale here

Somehow I think that it would be like going to their board after a loss and telling them that maybe they needed Glen Murray

JrHockeyFan 11-23-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup (Post 16469545)
And this, believe it or not, happened after them beating us once in regulation, and once in shootouts...

And we are the cocky losers :shakehead

In November no less.:laugh:

Habs10Habs 11-23-2008 02:30 PM

I don't see anything wrong with the question. This Bruins fan probably only watched Smokes play for us when the Bruins played the Habs.

To answer your question OP. No Smolinski would not be a good addition to help make our team become more "nitty gritty" as you put it.

True he had some good games (which you probably saw) but overall he didn't bring very much to the table. With the addition of Lang, and the improved play of Lapierre. I don't think any Habs fan misses Smokes at all.

Habs10Habs 11-23-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan (Post 16469578)
You really think this question was legit? No sale here

Somehow I think that it would be like going to their board after a loss and telling them that maybe they needed Glen Murray

Good point, but Murray played lousy against us last year. While Smolinski actually was a factor in some of our games against the B's.

JrHockeyFan 11-23-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 16469609)
I don't see anything wrong with the question. This Bruins fan probably only watched Smokes play for us when the Bruins played the Habs.

To answer your question OP. No Smolinski would not be a good addition to help make our team become more "nitty gritty" as you put it.

True he had some good games (which you probably saw) but overall he didn't bring very much to the table. With the addition of Lang, and the improved play of Lapierre. I don't think any Habs fan misses Smokes at all.

The guy posts the thread and if sincere probably expects some flak. However, he starts a thread and does not discuss his own question? Bit suspicious

Habs10Habs 11-23-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan (Post 16469666)
The guy posts the thread and if sincere probably expects some flak. However, he starts a thread and does not discuss his own question? Bit suspicious

Now that I'll agree with you on. I really do hate seeing opposing teams posters pop in with a question. Then they don't stick around to continue the debate.

Spectaculard 11-23-2008 03:09 PM

Im sry, but just implying that Smolinski of all people is the key to our succes is utter idiocy. No matter how you try to spin it.

JrHockeyFan 11-23-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs10Habs (Post 16469647)
Good point, but Murray played lousy against us last year. While Smolinski actually was a factor in some of our games against the B's.

I looked over all the regular season game sheets vs Bruins. 1G 2A in 8 games
Playoffs 1G 2 A in 7 games. A plus 5 overall. We outscored Boston 57 to 31 over those 15 games.

Okay numbers? I guess. A difference maker in the grand scheme of things? Don't believe so. He did most of that damage in one regular season game (blowout) and one playoff game

Mind you TKost was there and from what i mostly heard (no TV) and saw (very little unforunately) he played well. that was a very wicked deflection for the tying goal