HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   OT: Are you staying home or traveling for TG? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=576034)

WineShark 11-24-2008 01:39 AM

Are you staying home or traveling for TG?

Question re: Thanksgiving:

If you are traveling:
  1. How far are you going?
  2. Are you looking forward to it or dreading it?
If you are hosting Thanksgiving:
  1. How many are coming to your house?
  2. Are you looking forward to it or dreading it?
Is the economy playing into any of your Thanksgiving decisions?

PatMacSB 11-24-2008 01:46 AM

I am going to Thanksgivings on both Thursday and Friday night with my gf's family... Only traveling about 20 miles for both. My family is spread out for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year so I won't be with them for either :cry:

I am looking forward to it cuz i don't have to cook... even though I like cooking. Also, I will be drinking the **** ton of beer I will be getting thanks to my part time job at BevMo. Yay!

The Nemesis 11-24-2008 01:48 AM

Get with the times people. Thanksgiving was last month. :D

drunksage 11-24-2008 02:16 AM

My family celebrated Thanksgiving on Saturday, but on Thanksgiving Day, I'm headed down to LA on w/ my parents and aunt. It's nice to get away but we never really do much but shop and eat. More importantly, I'll be missing watching the Sharks vs. the Stars on TV. :(

WineShark 11-24-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nemesis (Post 16477088)
Get with the times people. Thanksgiving was last month. :D

Canucks - always premature.

bluefunnel 11-24-2008 05:20 AM

I will be staying home, it will be small(just my wife, my mother and I) since my wife and I both have to work that day.

I'm dreading it a little this year.

Lee Van Cleef* 11-24-2008 07:11 AM

Swedes don't celebrate it.

WineShark 11-24-2008 11:27 AM

23 close family. At my house. 3 turkeys .... well, 2 if you dont count my brother in law.

bigwillie 11-24-2008 11:29 AM

I'll be flying back up to San Jose Wednesday to catch the Sharks/Hawks game that night, celebrate Thanksgiving the next day, then celebrate both my mom and brother's birthday (they were born on the same day!), and then fly back to school Sunday.

Gonna be a good Thanksgiving. :)

WineShark 11-24-2008 12:00 PM

I don't remember .... aren't there a couple hockey games played on Thanksgiving? If so, who is playing this year. Better than watching the Cowboys or whoever is playing football this year.

ToursLepantoVienna 11-24-2008 12:13 PM

My sons and I are driving down to San Jose for my older boy's Silver Stick hockey tournament. Will catch the Dreaded Ginger's return to San Jose on Wed. night (Section 120, Row 15 - woohoo!). Early Thanksgiving dinner at the hotel with all the team families, with the tournament opener late that evening. Drive back to the rainy Pacific NW Sunday or Monday, depending on how deep the lads go in the tournament.

Certainly not a typical Thanksgiving, but looking forward to all of it. Well, all but the driving anyway.

Pure Rock Fury* 11-24-2008 12:15 PM

If I get my car this week, I'll drive to a friend's house in Altoona, PA. If I don't get my car this week, then I'll be by myself here in Ellicott City, MD.

Bartcal 11-24-2008 12:21 PM

Decided not to travel up for the game on one of the worst travel days each year, so I'm staying down here for Thanksgiving. Going to pick up my mom and go to my friend's family's house for dinner. Nice quiet get-together. (Note: If the weather is nice, I usually like to take a nice motorcycle ride in the morning prior, but not if its raining).

NeoChaos 11-24-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineShark (Post 16480206)
I don't remember .... aren't there a couple hockey games played on Thanksgiving? If so, who is playing this year. Better than watching the Cowboys or whoever is playing football this year.

Two games, both of them involving Canadian teams, natch. Leafs @ Sens and Flames @ Canucks.

As for my plans, I'm going up to mother's house in Santa Rosa for Thanksgiving, like I've done for close to the past decade.

TheDanceOfMaternity 11-24-2008 01:25 PM

Flying back up to the bay area on Wednesday night. LAX-SJC (which I always prefer above SFO if possible).

Its a little premature though because I actually was home for a day two weekends ago (USC vs. Stanford, my school against my dad's....)

jcast408 11-24-2008 01:51 PM

I am staying home and going out Turkey day eve and then having some turkey for a hangover cure.

Safe travels to all.

DoubleMinor 11-24-2008 02:03 PM

I'll be in Morgan Hill for turkey day.. Not much travel at all :handclap:

Thresher 11-24-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineShark (Post 16479808)
23 close family. At my house. 3 turkeys .... well, 2 if you dont count my brother in law.

wocka wocka wocka
:laugh:

I wish I were traveling (far far away), but I'll be sticking around town and regurgitating the same ol' curt stories (hopefully not the food) to feign captivating conversation with family

Though I have to give credit to my mom's two brothers, both of which know that tossing out a random SJ Sharks stat will actually get me to talk excessively, with full sincerity - and I take the bait every time

210 11-24-2008 02:14 PM

For the first time in years, I'll be staying home for Thanksgiving...and looking forward to it. ;)

Winky 11-24-2008 02:28 PM

Unfortunately, I'll be making the dreaded I-5 SoCal to NorCal drive Wednesday starting around 7pm (hopefully be in the Bay by 12ish).

Which sucks, since I'll be missing the game ...

Led Zappa 11-24-2008 02:35 PM

I have gone to my aunts or my moms here in the Bay Area forever. Due to the passing of some family members in recent years and my brother getting married, this year I will be going to my brothers mother in laws, so this will be a very different year for me this Thanksgiving.

Winky 11-24-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 16482586)
I have gone to my aunts or my moms here in the Bay Area forever. Due to the passing of some family members in recent years and my brother getting married, this year I will be going to my brothers mother in laws, so this will be a very different year for me this Thanksgiving.

Holy smokes where'd you get that avatar! :sarcasm:

rekrul 11-24-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineShark (Post 16479808)

we have a rare home date, and yes I gots the deliver on the Bird. 9 adults 7 kids 20lb Yummy brined Turkey. Any wine suggestions? Everyone says a desent Zinfendel w/turkey but not everyone likes that.

WebMistress 11-24-2008 04:50 PM

Staying home. There will be two Thanksgivings, as usual. One here at home, with alternative dishes for the vegetarians. The kid will then go across town to have a second holiday with the grandparents. I opt out of that one, and have for years.

I chose, instead, to travel on New Year's Eve. To St. Paul, for a Sharks game. Yes, Virginia, I am crazy.

Kitten Mittons 11-24-2008 04:58 PM

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving... but to answer the question, I am staying home... gotta write a term paper.