HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Calder Cup Phantoms (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=576585)

chaosof99* 11-25-2008 02:24 PM

Calder Cup Phantoms

Maybe I should be a little ashamed of it, but I only looked up today what the 04-05 Phantoms really looked like, and I am really wondering how much talent the team actually had on their hands.
I looked a bit into what we got in return for all that. Here's what I found:

Mike Richards - Now our captain
Jeff Carter - Now our best goal-scorer
Antero Niittymäki - Current backup goalie
Randy Jones - Still playing for the Flyers, third pairing D-man, currently on IR
Riley Cote - Still playing for The Flyers, 4th line left wing, enforcer and fighter
R.J. Umberger - Unresignable due to salary cap, traded in 2008 to Columbus for Colorado's 1st round draft pick, 19th Overall. Turned into Luca Sbisa
Ben Eager - Traded to Chicago in December 07 for Jim Vandermeer
Joni Pitkanen - Traded on July 1st 07 with Geoff Sanderson and a third round draft choice in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul.
Dennis Seidenberg - was sent to the Phoenix Coyotes On January 20, 2006 for Petr Nedved
Jon Sim - Traded in 05-06 to Florida Panthers for 6th round pick in 2007 (Patrick Maroon)
Patrick Sharp - traded to Chicago, along with Eric Meloche, on December 5, 2005 for Matt Ellison.
Todd Fedoruk - Touring the league since 05-06 (5 teams in 4 years). Originally traded to Anaheim for 2005 second round draft pick (which turned into Pierre-Olivier Pelletier), reaquired by the Flyers in November 06 for a 4th round draft pick. Left to Dallas as a free agent.
Wade Skolney - wound up in the german DEL.
Ryan Ready - signed with the Iserlohn Roosters of the DEL in September 06
Freddy Meyer - Was traded in December 06 alongside a conditional draft pick to the Islanders for Alexei Zhitnik. The Flyers later turned Zhitnik into Braydon Coburn.
Boyd Kane - Still playing for the Phantoms
Josh Gratton - Still playing for the Phantoms, sometimes call-up

Yes, we got most of the cream of the crop, for which I am thankful, but counting everything up, I think we got very little in return for what we let slip through our fingers. I think this would make a decent NHL team right there.

I really like Brière but just imagine the dominance of the Flyers down the middle for years to come with Cannon, Carter, Sharpie. The Pitkanen trade was a success, the Umberger trade probably too, but necessity and Sim trade turning into Maroon seems also decent, but I think this could have gotten us more.

DeadPhish5858 11-25-2008 02:26 PM

We should have never traded Patrick Sharp, or at least for something much better.

John Flyers Fan 11-25-2008 03:08 PM

You conveniently forgot Freddy Meyer ---> Alexei Zhitnik ---> Braydon Coburn

Jim Schennson 11-25-2008 03:25 PM

That team got many of us Flyers fans through the lockout.

ToTheNet 11-25-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk (Post 16501407)
That team got many of us Flyers fans through the lockout.

I had tickets for game 5 :( damn you phantoms for sweeping.

Cleary84 11-25-2008 03:34 PM

What I team, now that I look back on it. How the hell did we let Sharp go!?

John Flyers Fan 11-25-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers84 (Post 16501546)
What I team, now that I look back on it. How the hell did we let Sharp go!?

Sharp and Hitchcock did not get a long. Sharp has admitted that it was every bit as much his fault as Hitch's.

Also at the time he was considerably behind Richards, Carter, and Umberger. Sharp isn't a need at this time, although it certainly would have been nice to get more in return.

FlyHigh 11-25-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNet (Post 16501526)

I was at Game 4 with my then GF who was really into hockey and played it too.

Damn, I can't remember why we broke up, freaking stupid decision by me looking back on it.

Anyways, it was an awesome time because there were a lot more "true" hockey fans there than at a normal Flyers game and also, tix were like $20.

bney7 11-25-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan (Post 16501617)
Sharp and Hitchcock did not get a long. Sharp has admitted that it was every bit as much his fault as Hitch's.

Also at the time he was considerably behind Richards, Carter, and Umberger. Sharp isn't a need at this time, although it certainly would have been nice to get more in return.

Yeah Sharp didn't want to center the 4th line, and thought he should have gotten more minutes. I can't say I blame him, I always thought he was a good player. It is a shame that they traded him for absolutely nothing, but at the time I don't think anyone could have imagined him panning out like this.

turkinaa 11-25-2008 05:48 PM

I think it's funny that Edmonton could do a thing with Sanderson. No one wanted him. In retrospect, the Pitkanen trade turned out pretty decent for us if Lupul can either play like his salary says he should or if we move him for something decent. Otherwise it was basically trading a former 4th overall pick for a rental D and a streaky winger who gets overpaid (even if we did get to the ECF).

chaosof99* 11-26-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan (Post 16501164)
You conveniently forgot Freddy Meyer ---> Alexei Zhitnik ---> Braydon Coburn

Sorry. As said, I only looked at the full roster today and only looked up the names I recognized (I also mistook Neil Little for Bryan Little, I didn't even look at the positions). I didn't recognize the name Freddy Meyer so I didn't make some research for him. Added that chain of events to the original post now. Pardon my ignorance.

Something interesting that is also tied to this: Braydon Coburn played for the Chicago wolves in the Calder Cup Finals when the Phantoms beat them.

dbr2 11-26-2008 03:45 AM

Man, wish we kept sharp. But what are ya gonna do!

Miracle80 11-26-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNet (Post 16501526)

I got stuck out of town on a business trip and had to live with my family claiming this victory. They are Carolina Hurricanes fans sitting at McGilllins watching my Phantoms win the Calder Cup. I give them credit though, they never talked **** and were genuinely happy for me when it happened.

Karl Racki 11-26-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosof99 (Post 16509068)
Sorry. As said, I only looked at the full roster today and only looked up the names I recognized (I also mistook Neil Little for Bryan Little, I didn't even look at the positions). I didn't recognize the name Freddy Meyer so I didn't make some research for him. Added that chain of events to the original post now. Pardon my ignorance.

Something interesting that is also tied to this: Braydon Coburn played for the Chicago wolves in the Calder Cup Finals when the Phantoms beat them.

Also, Alberts was with the Providence Bruins who lost to the Phantoms in the Conference Finals...

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-26-2008 09:57 AM

This is a quote from earlier this year by Patrick Sharp about Ken Hitchcock:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...47736-sun.html

Quote:

Sharp was clear that he wouldn't be lighting up the NHL had he not learned under the stern hand of Hitchcock, who coached Sharp with the Philadelphia Flyers before both men made separate moves to the Central Division, where Sharp's Blackhawks and Hitchcock's Columbus Blue Jackets are rivals.

"He was on me pretty good, but he taught me to compete," Sharp said in a telephone interview. "I wouldn't trade having played for him for anything. He made me into an NHL player. Every day, it was demanding. We have a good relationship, and I make sure to talk to him whenever we play Columbus."

tytech 11-26-2008 11:24 AM

Gratton, Eager, Fedoruk and Cote? It was the broad street bullies all over again. How the hell did we manage to win anything without being in penalty kill mode for most of the game?

This one I wasn't aware of;
R.J. Umberger - Unresignable due to salary cap, traded in 2008 to Columbus for Colorado's 1st round draft pick, 19th Overall. Turned into Luca Sbisa

Sharp for Ellison sucks. It was nice to give Sharpie a chance elsewhere but we got nothing back, obviously. At least Sharp is making something out of nothing. Zubrus, Prospal, Sharp, Williams etc...All traded before potential reached. In return we get guys like LeClair and Coburn who were traded before their potential was reached.

In agreement with the poster that we've given up more potential then gained through trades, specifically with the younger core.

chaosof99* 11-26-2008 11:46 AM

Well, Holmgren picked Sbisa with the draft pick he got from Columbus for Umby. Here is the note from the Wikipedia page to the 2008 NHL Entry Draft:

Quote:

The Colorado Avalanche's first round pick went to the Philadelphia Flyers as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008 that sent R.J. Umberger and the 118th overall pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for the 67th overall pick and this pick.
Columbus acquired previously as the result of a trade on February 26, 2008 that sent Adam Foote to Colorado in exchange for this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade). The condition - Colorado reaches the playoffs in 2008 - has been converted.
For anybody wondering, Foote was turning UFA the following summer, but elected to re-sign with the Avalanche.

Chuck Downie 11-26-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Racki (Post 16511162)
Also, Alberts was with the Providence Bruins who lost to the Phantoms in the Conference Finals...

And Coburn was on Chicago.

Alex Picard played in the Final for the Phantoms aswell.