HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Shawn Belle (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=576748)

GoldenForum 11-25-2008 10:39 PM

Shawn Belle

Question: How close to NHL ready is Bulldogs D-man Shawn Belle? I imagine he's not yet lived up to expectations, but I believe he was a 1st round pick back in 2003 so some base talent should be there. Can he help out the Habs defensively this year or next...or is he just destined to be AHL-filler? We could always use a strong stay at home D-man.
(I have never seen him play-- so share your thoughts.)

Whitesnake 11-25-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenForum (Post 16507525)
Question: How close to NHL ready is Bulldogs D-man Shawn Belle? I imagine he's not yet lived up to expectations, but I believe he was a 1st round pick back in 2003 so some base talent should be there. Can he help out the Habs defensively this year or next...or is he just destined to be AHL-filler? We could always use a strong stay at home D-man.

I'll tell you Sunday....;)

I'm impressed about his +/- stat though he was not suppose to be the most reliable d-man. It could also be that he's pretty good at the AHL but not able to go the step further. I really can't wait to see how he's doing.

fufonzo 11-25-2008 10:55 PM

I asked about him in the d'Ago thread and was told he's playing well but that Henry and Carle are ahead of him right now.

montreal 11-26-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenForum (Post 16507525)

I think Belle could fill in for a game or two if need be and there were several injuries, Henry should get called up first and then you have a decide if you would rather bring up Weber or Carle (when Weber is back from injury of course) as it would depend on if you wanted offense cause that's something you won't get from Belle but if you just want a steady safe stay at home type then Henry then Belle would be the guys imo.

El Wama 11-26-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 16510112)
I think Belle could fill in for a game or two if need be and there were several injuries, Henry should get called up first and then you have a decide if you would rather bring up Weber or Carle (when Weber is back from injury of course) as it would depend on if you wanted offense cause that's something you won't get from Belle but if you just want a steady safe stay at home type then Henry then Belle would be the guys imo.

What's Henry potential? How can you describe his game?

montreal 11-26-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Wama (Post 16515499)
What's Henry potential? How can you describe his game?

Well what you see is what you get. He's big, strong, physical, solid stay at home type that can drop the gloves, he seems to be a good fighter and sticks up for his teammates for sure.

One Man Rock Band 11-26-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 16515603)
Well what you see is what you get. He's big, strong, physical, solid stay at home type that can drop the gloves, he seems to be a good fighter and sticks up for his teammates for sure.

Yup.. I think his biggest problem is the speed of the NHL game.. but IMO, he'd be effective right now.

Shawn Belle, for me, is 4th or 5th on the depth chart. He's behind Henry, Carle, and Weber.. and with the recent play of JT Wyman, he may fall behind him as well.

IMO, Belle is in the bottom-3 defenseman in Hamilton alone (Jancevski [Dallas], Carle, Weber, and Henry are ahead of him).. with Wyman and Anderson.

But I've only seen a handful of games.

However, like I've said before, there is a reason he's with his 3 organization by the age of 23 (St. Louis, Minnesota, Montreal).

Iwishihadacup 11-26-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 16515689)
Yup.. I think his biggest problem is the speed of the NHL game.. but IMO, he'd be effective right now.

Shawn Belle, for me, is 4th or 5th on the depth chart. He's behind Henry, Carle, and Weber.. and with the recent play of JT Wyman, he may fall behind him as well.

IMO, Belle is in the bottom-3 defenseman in Hamilton alone (Jancevski [Dallas], Carle, Weber, and Henry are ahead of him).. with Wyman and Anderson.

But I've only seen a handful of games.

However, like I've said before, there is a reason he's with his 3 organization by the age of 23 (St. Louis, Minnesota, Montreal).

didn't he passed by dallas?

Lone Rogue 11-26-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Is that fair? I mean, Bernier is on his third team at 23...

Cyrrus 11-26-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Euh... Isn't JT Wyman a RW? Has he been switch to Defense?

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2300

Darz 11-26-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 16515749)
Is that fair? I mean, Bernier is on his third team at 23...

Bernier has played for all three teams at the NHL level. Belle has yet to make any impact at the NHL level.

I think his point is big, physical, young defenceman, if they have ANY NYL promise at all, don't go through three organizations by the time they are 23.

Hey, maybe he turns it around, but I think it is a strong indicator that he is considered a long shot at best.

Cyrrus 11-26-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Since when is JT Wyman a Defense? I thought he was a RW

habsprospects 11-26-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup (Post 16515743)
didn't he passed by dallas?

Yes, St. Louis traded him to Dallas before his last junior season.

Qui Gon Dave 11-26-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrrus (Post 16515845)
Euh... Isn't JT Wyman a RW? Has he been switch to Defense?

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2300

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrrus (Post 16516046)

Here's the story

More on it in here

and here

HockeyF3ind 11-26-2008 05:11 PM

We got Belle in the Grabovski trade right?

Qui Gon Dave 11-26-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind (Post 16516914)
We got Belle in the Grabovski trade right?

Nope, that was Pateryn. We got Belle from the Wild for Corey Locke.

68 11-26-2008 05:17 PM

Who is he paired with? What's his average ice time? Is he the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th D on the team?

I'm excited about this guy. He's big and we need size.

Qui Gon Dave 11-26-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 (Post 16517004)
Who is he paired with?

Last night it was Anderson, but asking who plays with who on a Don Lever coached team is like asking what the time is.

Quote:

What's his average ice time?

Not sure the AHL keeps track of that but...

Quote:

Is he the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th D on the team?

he tends to be a steady lower pairing guy. Jancevski and Henry ahead of him but he seems to get plenty of ice time.

68 11-26-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave (Post 16517128)
Last night it was Anderson, but asking who plays with who on a Don Lever coached team is like asking what the time is.

Not sure the AHL keeps track of that but...

he tends to be a steady lower pairing guy. Jancevski and Henry ahead of him but he seems to get plenty of ice time.

Thanks for the info QGD. :)

BJCOLLINS 11-26-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrrus (Post 16516046)

could explain the love for Breeze-by