HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The book is out on the Habs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=577027)

Pascal 11-26-2008 07:03 PM

The book is out on the Habs

Is it just me or since we played the Bruins in the playoffs our PP/overall play has been bad? What did the Bruins do that threw the team off? Pressure, pressure and more pressure.

That's how the Flyers beat us too.

Now every team does it, and the Habs have not adjusted, or simply can't. They can't handle it and everyone knows it now.

I'd be very interested in seeing our combined stats since that Bruins series...

BadHabit 11-26-2008 07:14 PM

Agreed, but it's my belief that constant pressure is the most important part of any PK team. It's pretty well how most teams work today, except for the Habs.

Pascal 11-26-2008 07:15 PM

It's not just the PK altho it's a big part of why the team is struggling. Applying pressure on our D in our zone and our forwards in the neutral zone = success. they still try to do the fancy plays instead of outworking other teams.

Fire Brunet* 11-26-2008 07:18 PM

I wish we had a team full of gritty Canadian players... oh wait that's the Bruins... nvm

No, I'm actually serious :cry:

Krautso 11-26-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16518936)
Is it just me or since we played the Bruins in the playoffs our PP/overall play has been bad? What did the Bruins do that threw the team off? Pressure, pressure and more pressure.

Now every team does it, and the Habs have not adjusted, or simply can't. They can't handle it and everyone knows it now.

The best MTL played last year is when they would beat that pressure using speed. Put the puck in open ice and beat the opponent to it. The problem playing a high-speed precision passing game is everyone has to be on the same page to pull it off. There seems to be a bit of confusion there now with players not knowing if guys are going for the easy (safe) play or to support their teammates for the more creative stuff. Hence why we see 10 errant backpasses a game now.

Pascal 11-26-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek (Post 16519374)
I wish we had a team full of gritty Canadian players... oh wait that's the Bruins... nvm

We do have gritty players... :teach:

On the 4th line.

mariolemieux66 11-26-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16519317)
It's not just the PK altho it's a big part of why the team is struggling. Applying pressure on our D in our zone and our forwards in the neutral zone = success. they still try to do the fancy plays instead of outworking other teams.

Tough thing to do for Montreal with their 5'10 190 forward.

Pascal 11-26-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 (Post 16519610)
[/B]

Tough thing to do for Montreal with their 5'10 190 forward.

I don't know if it has anything to do with size. Detroit has small players too and they seem to do pretty well.

mariolemieux66 11-26-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16519674)
I don't know if it has anything to do with size. Detroit has small players too and they seem to do pretty well.

You are right, but their small players are much more skilled than ours.
Franzen and Holmstrom are europeen power forwards.

Melvin Udall 11-26-2008 07:52 PM

Pascal,

I agree 100%.

Montreal was successful the last 2 regular seasons mainly because of their pp.

Habs 2 pp qbs are gone Streit and Souray.

And, Kovalev had a MVP type season in '07-'08 and AK46 and Pleks benefitted from Kovy on their line. Kovy is playing OK (not MVP-Like) and AK46 and Pleks are not producing.

Habs still have talent - but, not enough "character" to overcome their offensive deficiencies.

Prediction: Habs will not make the playoffs without major changes to their lineup! (hope I'm wrong). :help:

RoyBoyCoy 11-26-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek (Post 16519374)

I can fix that! Sign some random Soft Small Russian Center.

Magic33 11-26-2008 08:19 PM

I think our main problem on the PP is actually getting into their zone with possession. Most of our PP time is spent picking up the puck from behind our net because we cant penetrate the offensive zone

Monctonscout 11-26-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16518936)

They will have to adjust to it. When teams are that agressive it usually leaves somebody open possibly creating more chances.

Pascal 11-26-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic33 (Post 16521464)
I think our main problem on the PP is actually getting into their zone with possession. Most of our PP time is spent picking up the puck from behind our net because we cant penetrate the offensive zone

because they pressure the puck carrier going in and they don't know how to dump and chase properly. And if they do get the zone again they pressure the puck and the Habs lose it..

Last year teams left so much space for Markov and Kovy to work their magic, but not anymore.