HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Driving Test (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=577558)

Hezza 11-28-2008 08:06 AM

Driving Test

So, I have my driving test at Henri-Bourassa on Dec 8th are am wondering how I should prepare for it because I don't really know that area. Does anyone know what their test route(s) are?

Will there be a lot of traffic at 11h40, which is the time of my exam.

Any tips/help/comments about tests/examiners over at H-B would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Joe Cole 11-28-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergzandreikostitsyn (Post 16542014)
So, I have my driving test at Henri-Bourassa on Dec 8th are am wondering how I should prepare for it because I don't really know that area. Does anyone know what their test route(s) are?

Any tips/help/comments about tests/examiners over at H-B would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Signal everywhere, even in the parking lot when you are turning into a spot. My wife failed first time because of this.

Good luck.

Gros Bill 11-28-2008 08:18 AM

Close your eyes and I'll kiss you, tomorrow, I'll miss you.

Whitesnake 11-28-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Mike

Since I'm old....the only thing that I remember is that you go down a street and then the street becomes one-way facing you.....but obviously the guy doesn't say anything about it....

Read the signs carefully....never forget to look at your side mirrors when you change lines.....they look at that a lot.

frederixx 11-28-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Mike

yes, prepare yourself, that test won't be easy if you're not well prepared. When you get out of the parking, you have to change line right away (don't forget your flasher there).

watch out for 30km/h zone and humpback.

most important thing : blind spot

last thing, don't forget that while you're in SAAQ zone, the speed limit is 20km/h

Gros Bill 11-28-2008 08:37 AM

Also, don't start screaming "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!" when you approach an intersection. The proper technique is to close your eyes and gradually press down on the gas pedal.

Dutchy 11-28-2008 08:47 AM

I took my test there 10 years ago and I know the area quite well as I lived there for 15 years. What I remember from my route was that I had to go in a school/residential district so you have to be especially careful of speed limit changes. Apart from that, I would say there isn't all that much special about that neighborhood. As long as you are a responsible driver (I.E. respect the things other posters have said above), you'll be fine.

Vinceee 11-28-2008 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchy (Post 16542302)
I took my test there 10 years ago and I know the area quite well as I lived there for 15 years. What I remember from my route was that I had to go in a school/residential district so you have to be especially careful of speed limit changes. Apart from that, I would say there isn't all that much special about that neighborhood. As long as you are a responsible driver (I.E. respect the things other posters have said above), you'll be fine.

they always do that... be careful

jnthomas 11-28-2008 09:21 AM

If the evaluator is guy show some cleavage. Seems to always work :P

L'abstrait 11-28-2008 09:38 AM

Just remember, drive like your grand-mother and you should be alright.

limelight 11-28-2008 09:43 AM

I would recommend that you try to drive around the same time as your examination time. It would give you a better idea as to the amount of traffic that you can expect.

Try driving in and out from the side streets to the Henri Bourassa.

The main thing that they are looking for is that you make them feel safe while they are in the same car as you are. If your insure of the speed limit in a particular area then drive at the slower speed. Some of the small side streets in not too clear what is the actual speed limit.

Good luck!

habsfan56 11-28-2008 09:50 AM

the roads are pretty easy, just make sure you listen to what the tester says and make sure you know how to parallel park. keep looking in your mirrors and your blindspot (for turns). most importantly, dont stress too much, it is not that difficult

BBrowser 11-28-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Mike

As you pull out of the parking, you will come over the overpass and then need to merge left into traffic. Go slow, signal left (Quebecois don't use flashers but you have to for the test) and pull into the lane. When I took the test the woman in the car ahead of me drove right up to a parked car in the right hand lane in that spot and was stuck there! lol. Drive 45-50 (not 30) and stay awake for the school zone.

Good luck, and relax!

RC51 11-28-2008 10:29 AM

Please remember to use your flashers and please use them correctly.
Start to signal your left or right turn at least 100 feet before the turn.

Don't roll right to the stop sign, then stop, then click your flasher on.
Put you flasher on 100 ft before the stop sign letting all others know your intention well before the stop sign.

Mikalyx 11-28-2008 10:50 AM

Just passed my class 2 driver's license on tuesday and one thing you have to remember is safety. Read the signs and respect them. Put on your flashers when you have to and do complete stops. Keep your speed stable at all times (shows concentration) and respect the speed limits.

Good luck!

kostitsyn1489 11-28-2008 10:51 AM

Every time you use your flasher look at your blind spot just before turning even if you're at a stop.

Also every time you change lane.

Mirror in the middle, mirror on the side you turn, blind spot, put your flasher, mirror in the middle, mirror on the side, blind spot and change lane.

Ive done my test in Trois-Rivieres i guess it's a bit easier, i went to Montreal a week and a half after and i was fine, but ive done all the things that needs to be done to change lane once and i always rammed some other car in the back. That's freakin dangerous to look everywhere, but in front when you're in downtown montreal. That said it was the first time i was in Montreal and it wasnt to go to a specific place and that people i went with know the road. I was all alone, i had no idea where i was nor where i was going and was yelling at every intersection cause there's too many ****ing one way in Montreal lol

mitchmagic 11-28-2008 10:54 AM

ALWAYS look both ways when at a stop and check your blindspot. On my test the guy pulled my handbrake because I didn't look at the stops. He then yelled at me...

I then got my license some how.

There shouldn't be much traffic at that time. Just stay focused, don't be too nervous, and use common sense!

Good luck!

Mitch

LyricalLyricist 11-28-2008 11:04 AM

Firstly, do not be intimidated. I was nervous, when I did mine, it was a joke. You realize that all it takes is being comfortable behind the wheel(of course, knowing how to drive as well).

As for the test, I don't know the route, I'm from montreal but HB was so backed up at the time I went to longueuil to do it. If you wanna get a feel of the area, if you're driving your own car/parents car or whatever I assume they'll come with you. Just practice driving there, go a little earlier and get the feel of traffic, but even that isn't necessary, it's only if you want to. 11:40 has no traffic, maybe at 12 you'll see a tiny little bit of action, but even then, I wouldn't worry about it.

I heard all these rumours that there they fail you at HB if they reached the quota and yada yada, then again it was my mom's friend who said it, and she failed 13 times and she uses that excuse...yes, 13 times, you read right.

Just relax while doing your test, don't forget to look, at your mirrors, blind spots, do a full stop, it's the little things you have to worry about. Good luck. Tell us how it went.

CN_paladin 11-28-2008 11:14 AM

I did mine there around 10 am.

Do some reconnaissance.
Blind spots are a must and don't drive to slowly. 45 most of the time.
Slow down when you have to.
Sit back and relax.
Changing 3 lanes won't be that easy at your appointment period. Make sure you know how to do the procedure properly.
Some examinators are tricky...

usernam 11-28-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Mike

I did mine at H-B like 2 years ago, passed it the first time. It's really easy. As other people said, most important thing is the blind spot when changing lanes and when turning. I remember my exam lasted for maximum 15 minutes. Just show him you're confident. Also, practice the parking a lot, because if you do really good in the parkings, it might cancel out some mistakes you made on the road. My examiner was Pascal, if you get him, you should be alright.

My exam was 12:00 on a Friday, no traffic at all. Remember your exam is at 11h40, you'll get in at ~12:30.
And IIRC, we drove on H-B, then went to Christophe-Colomb, then came back to H-B.

Also, before you enter the car, check on both sides of it and behind it to make sure "nothing is obstructing it".
And ALWAYS keep both hands on the wheel.

Guy Germaine 11-28-2008 11:34 AM

I see you're from Ile-Bizard, you should have just done it at the Hymus SAAQ. You drive around a mostly deserted industrial area and then onto Sources blvd. for 2 minutes and then back . Easiest test on the planet.

holyhabs87 11-28-2008 11:37 AM

i just had my test last tuesday. at 11ish. not much traffic at all. i was nervous but dont be...it is VERY easy.

everytime u need to turn (right, left or change lanes) do this: check mirror(rearview), mirror(side) and blindspot turn the flasher on.

then mirror, mirror blindspot and then turn. check the blindspot...its very important. turn your head to make it obvious thats what you are doing.

come to a full stop at stop signs. check left, right left, then go again. should take 3 seconds.

like a guy mentioned above there is a one way street at one of the stop signs. make sure to make a double stop. this means stop at the stop sign. then slowly move forward to where u can see the cars coming. stop again. check left, right, left, blindspot and turn.

i had 2 mistakes the whole time. one i dont remember the other he told me as i was changing lanes i slowed down a bit. so keep your speed constant.

respect the speed limits.

for parallel parking i assume you know how to do it. turn your flasher to signal your intent.

line your car up so that your side mirror is lined up to the parked car's side mirror. then turn you steering wheel one full turn. some say reverse all the way till your car is 45 degrees. another way is to keep on reversing and stop right when you cant see the car behind you. then make sure your side mirror is parallel to that of the car in front of you. once it is...turn you steering wheel all the way and back up . should be perfect.

once he tells you to come out. signal your intent again. do the whole mirror mirror blindspot thing again.

and when you end your exam you have to park by just driving in straight between 2 cars. make sure you park so he has enough space to open his door and leave the car. do not park too close to the cars so that he cant open his door.

Mousepad* 11-28-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L'abstrait (Post 16542696)
Just remember, drive like your grand-mother and you should be alright.

Don't be too slow. Stick to the speed limit. When I did my test, I had the speedometer stuck on the current limit. 50 Zone Limit, i was 49-50. Accelerate slowly but not too slow as to look like someone who's lacking complete confidence and could be a public danger (like grandmas)

Watch incoming lights. If you have a feeling it has been on for some time and it might change to yellow, prepare to break. You can fail if you go through a yellow light.

Watch zone changes, parks and school are 30 KM unless indicated Lower.

Flashers, Every turn and on the parking you'll do when you come back.

Parking, check behind you but also in Front of you. I lost some points because I jsut looked behind and went ahead with my parking.

When you change lane, I don't remember but I think I had to double-check (2 times mirror, 2 times blindspot). Not sure about this one.

TWO hands on the steering wheel. Adjust your seat properly. Proper position looks constipated but it's only for your test.

waffledave 11-28-2008 11:56 AM

-Check blindspots, ALWAYS, every time you turn or change lanes or anything.
-Make sure that before you start the car, you both have your seatbelts on. The person testing you might purposely not put it on.
-There are a few stop signs that are only 2 way…Make sure you don’t go through the intersection before inching up a bit and looking both ways.

vesperal 11-28-2008 12:13 PM

What holyhabs87 said is pretty much spot on.

Checking mirrors/blindspot BEFORE putting your flasher is not obligatory. If you don't do it, you're not gonna lose point but instructor like it because it means you had driving lessons.

Parallel parking does not always happen. Sometimes they give you a choice between that or reverse parking. If you need to park on reverse remember to put your flasher BEFORE passing your parking spot. It tell a possible driver behind you that you are gonna stop.