HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kovalev , are you happy ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=57759)

Zaitsev 03-02-2004 10:38 PM

Kovalev , are you happy ?

Let us know if you are happy of the latest Hab trade.

habs1988 03-02-2004 11:02 PM

Very but very happy.....not expect it at all.....balej is a very good player but kovalev is very good too....like a lot of people said, we have a lot of talent in hamilton : Higgins, Perez, Gratton, Hossa, Plekanek, Kastistyn soon.... so it's a good trade IMO.

Catala 03-02-2004 11:06 PM

Great move, let's see how it goes.

gohabsgo2010 03-02-2004 11:06 PM

I'm estatic. :) Wow. Alexei Freaking Kovalev is a Hab. Wow.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-02-2004 11:07 PM

How can you not be happy ?

Sure Balej is a good prospect and it's tough to lose him. We still have a ton of prospects who have higher ceilings and we already have Ryder established on the RW. The 2nd rounder is tough to lose but we had 2 last year so it softens the blow.

We got arguably the best player available on the market without giving up a top notch kid or a top notch pick. How can you not like it ?

Plus, we get a 2nd rounder as compensation if we don't resign him.

NHLcrazy 03-02-2004 11:07 PM

The Good: we found a friend for Andrei Markov
;)

The bad: Pierre Houde is gonna say Kovaliev all the time :shakehead

Zaitsev 03-02-2004 11:14 PM

see my avatar. I think a picture = 1000 words :teach:

But Kovalev is a MAJOR update for our offense.. plus.. we didnt trade any player from the core of the team to get him.

markov` 03-02-2004 11:19 PM

What a trade guys! But I hope we will resign him, because if we don't, giving Balej is too much. But anyway! A top-6 forward guy. We all wanted Smyth or O'Neill, but in my opinion, Kovalev is much better.

In Gainey I trust now.

theo6060 03-02-2004 11:22 PM

This is the best news I have heard all year. Kovalev used to be one of my favourite players. I have him on my Habs team in an FHL and now I actually get to see him on the real Habs. It hurts to give up what we do, but this is a superstar we get. I am soooo happy with this move.

Zednik 03-02-2004 11:31 PM

Why did we have to give way more than what the Rangers gave last year for Kovy ?

Habsfunk 03-02-2004 11:33 PM

Wow! Didn't see this one coming at all. I really like this pick up and if Kovalev plays to his potential for the stretch run and into the playoffs we will be a threat. Balej and a 2nd seem like a lot for a rental, but a prospect + pick seems to be the going rate for a top flight forward (see Bondra, Lang)

Cayouche5 03-02-2004 11:37 PM

Like MTHF said, how can you not be happy, We add to our line-up a proven goal scorer to play with ribeiro or koivu ( 2 good passer ).
Yes We trade a good prospects in Balej who might play in the NHL and core 30 goal like Kovalev but nothing's sure, and a pick nothing is sure again.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-02-2004 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednik
Why did we have to give way more than what the Rangers gave last year for Kovy ?

Because the Rangers not only ate Kovalev's contract for about 2/5 of the year but also some other deadwood contracts in the Pens organization ( Mike Wilson and some other stiffs).

It was a boatload of cash + Fata + others as a return for the Pens which is pretty close to what we gave up.

Freaky Habs Fan 03-02-2004 11:39 PM

I'm very happy. Our offense have a new dimenssion. I just wish we will be able to resign him but it seem like almost every player love Montreal so I'm optimist.

As for what we gave, it's not bad(if we resign him). There's not enought place for all our prospects so giving up Balej when we have guys like Perez, Higgins, Kast, Plekanec, Hossa...in the farm.

oli500 03-02-2004 11:39 PM

My mouth drope open when I heard this trade on t.v. I have mixt fellings about it. Balej was a great prospect and kovalev is a free agent at the end of the season. Bob better sign him because we gave up alot to get him.

However it does makes us alot better and gives us two great lines with alot of talent.

I am very happy we got a player as talented as kovalev but deep down im sad to see balej go. I hope him the best of luck.

Its allways the player that you leas expected that ends up on youre team.

oli500 03-02-2004 11:41 PM

My mouth drope open when I heard this trade on t.v. I have mixt fellings about it. Balej was a great prospect and kovalev is a free agent at the end of the season. Bob better sign him because we gave up alot to get him.

However it does makes us alot better and gives us two great lines with alot of talent.

I am very happy we got a player as talented as kovalev but deep down im sad to see balej go. I hope him the best of luck.

We still have a ton of prospects thow in perezhogin,Kats,hossa so its not that bad afterall.

oli500 03-02-2004 11:41 PM

I am very happy we got a player as talented as kovalev but deep down im sad to see balej go. I wish him the best of luck.

We still have a ton of prospects thow in perezhogin,Kats,hossa so its not that bad afterall.

Guy Caballero 03-02-2004 11:42 PM

Fantastically happy. This is a great, great move. I knew BG wouldn't let us go into the playoffs without that big winger. I was hoping for O'Neill because I thought he was the best guy on the market. Turns out he wasn't!

Bob, you have totally justified my faith in you!!!

Slick Nick 03-02-2004 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHLcrazy
The Good: we found a friend for Andrei Markov
;)

The bad: Pierre Houde is gonna say Kovaliev all the time :shakehead

Would you rather see Houde pronounce his name in proper russian; Kavalyof ?? :joker:

Benji Frank 03-02-2004 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednik

The Rangers also had to take on a bunch of deadweight contracts last year in order to acquire him ... Samuelso & Fata wasn't too bad a return for Pittsburg....

jacksheit 03-02-2004 11:43 PM

:handclap:
amazing pick up.
i hope he plays another year for the hab's

Bring_Bak_Damphousse 03-02-2004 11:46 PM

I saw this trade on the score...it read Rangers trade Kovalev too...

I figured "ah here we go Colorado, Toronto, Detroit" just got better I almost puked when I saw traded to the Canadiens. I`m very happy with the trade. Hopefully we can resign him at the end of the year.

JordanStaal#1Fan 03-02-2004 11:46 PM

Today, I'm so happy! I always loved Kovalev and always tried to follow him closely. Now that he's a Hab, I'm so happy. I can't wait until tomorrow to see him wear the Bleu-Blanc-Rouge.

So tonight, let's dream about Kovalev lifting the cup for us and tomorrow, I'll go back to earth :)

RE-HABS 03-02-2004 11:48 PM

While I'll agree that Balej is a good prospect with a good upside, but he couldn't help us this season the way Kovalev will on a line with Saku ans Zed or Ribs and Ryder.

Quintal was right about getting a top winger for Saku or Ribs when he was in the ER the other night I guess. ;)

Losing Balej stings a little, but then I look at how deep we are in prospects and picks and one realizes not everyone can play for this team...great 1st move by BG as GM!!!!!! :handclap:

Asgalus 03-02-2004 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsfunk
Wow! Didn't see this one coming at all. I really like this pick up and if Kovalev plays to his potential for the stretch run and into the playoffs we will be a threat. Balej and a 2nd seem like a lot for a rental, but a prospect + pick seems to be the going rate for a top flight forward (see Bondra, Lang)

Kovalev has no heart and isnt the "power forward" we really need. But still he is an excellent player and giving Balej (who would never play for montreal...too small to push any of our 1-2nd liners out and too many excellent rookies blowing in his back to give him a real chance). So giving streight up "balej" for a rental player is worth it. And giving Balej and a 2nd for Kovalev during 3-4 years is really worth it. no doubt. Impressive deal by bob gainey. In the worst case we lose kovalev (if he doesnt sign) and get NYR's 2nd (an upgrade on MTL's)