HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Unwarranted criticism of our habs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=578164)

LesHabsRock 11-29-2008 11:29 PM

Unwarranted criticism of our habs

I haven't posted much this year, but I feel it's necessary for me to remind everyone who are demanding ridiculous trades to get rid of players on this team who are "underperforming" after only 23 games. This team, despite all the criticism, has only 6 regulation losses in 23 games. Only 3 teams have less. They have 30 points in 23 games which is on pace for 107 points (3 points better than last year). They have struggled over the last 10-12 games with goalscoring which is directly attributed to an impotent powerplay thus far, however, give kudos to our coaching staff for making the team play solid defence to offset they're snake bitten forwards. They've allowed 3 goals or less against int heir last 9 games and doing so without Komisarek. It's only a matter of time before the powerplay and offense start to come around. There's too much talent on this team to go very long without scoring. I'm confident this team will not only be in the playoffs as a top 4 seed, but that they'll also progress past the second round for the first time since 1993.

Maybe there was too much pressure on the team to start the season and now Boston has taken the spotlight. Let them take it and allow Montreal to slip under the radar once again as a 4th or 5th seed perhaps. I'm with you Habs. Ignore these bandwagoners and hypocrites. I know you'll be there at the end of the season.

Go Habs Go!

MastaK 11-29-2008 11:36 PM

I agree (but it's already been said quite a few times)

Still, it wouldn't hurt to get another steady & experienced defenceman I think.

Artyukhin* 11-29-2008 11:38 PM

the Habs will need to win 2 stanley cups this year to please some people

LesHabsRock 11-29-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastaK (Post 16573282)
I agree (but it's already been said quite a few times)

Still, it wouldn't hurt to get another steady & experienced defenceman I think.

Agreed. While everyone this passed summer wanted Sundin and other available forwards to be added to this team, I maintained we needed another top 4 defenseman and we'd be better off. Gainey went out and got 3 forwards including Lang, Tanguay, and Laraques. While I'm not disappointed in Tanguay and while Lang hasn't been horrible, I think some more emphasis should have been placed on the defence. We'll see. Gainey isn't done yet.

totalrecall 11-29-2008 11:42 PM

so we hit a bump, so what

Doc Hock 11-30-2008 01:23 AM

strange!!!!

only the logical posts receive hardly any responses

guess to many of them are peeing in their cornflakes

:sarcasm:

doc hock

OneSharpMarble 11-30-2008 01:30 AM

LEAVE HABS ALOOOONE! :cry:

Hackett 11-30-2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesHabsRock (Post 16573185)
I haven't posted much this year, but I feel it's necessary for me to remind everyone who are demanding ridiculous trades to get rid of players on this team who are "underperforming" after only 23 games. This team, despite all the criticism, has only 6 regulation losses in 23 games. Only 3 teams have less. They have 30 points in 23 games which is on pace for 107 points (3 points better than last year). They have struggled over the last 10-12 games with goalscoring which is directly attributed to an impotent powerplay thus far, however, give kudos to our coaching staff for making the team play solid defence to offset they're snake bitten forwards. They've allowed 3 goals or less against int heir last 9 games and doing so without Komisarek. It's only a matter of time before the powerplay and offense start to come around. There's too much talent on this team to go very long without scoring. I'm confident this team will not only be in the playoffs as a top 4 seed, but that they'll also progress past the second round for the first time since 1993.

Maybe there was too much pressure on the team to start the season and now Boston has taken the spotlight. Let them take it and allow Montreal to slip under the radar once again as a 4th or 5th seed perhaps. I'm with you Habs. Ignore these bandwagoners and hypocrites. I know you'll be there at the end of the season.

Go Habs Go!

I didnt realize that this team was on pace for more points than last year... maybe this year feels different because its been much more of a roller coaster ride

Anyways, I do think the habs are pressing a little bit. The players are feeling the pressure. Passes that were being executed flawlessly last year are bouncing over sticks this year. The finish around the net is not coming as easy as it was last season.

It seems like the players are squeezing their sticks due to the new found expectations stemming from last season and with the ongoing 100th season festivities.

Stradale 11-30-2008 02:25 AM

Quote:

Go Habs Go!

Yes but we havent score more than 3 goals in the last 10 games. We actually scored only 18 goals in those 10 games. Ouch.

Whitesnake 11-30-2008 06:20 AM

I just don't see any difference between those types of posts AFTER a win than panic mode type of posts AFTER a loss...

Fine, don't criticize them because we have 1 win in a row against that powerful Sabres machine. We are so in a great shape that we need to play pluggers on all of our line so we have some kind of energy.

Sorry, don't share the optimism but then it depends what are your expectations. A good enough team to make the series, sure. Just thought we were suppose to be beyond that as far as THE PLAN was concerned.

JrHockeyFan 11-30-2008 06:44 AM

Expectations are high. Maybe higher than they should be, but very high. Isn't that always the way in Montreal regardless how good the team is?

Now we have this 100 year season promotion. Folks are a bit crazier than usual.

Unfortunately there is a tendency to go to extremes. Losing PGTs are just about the darkest little places on the planet

Lone Rogue 11-30-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 16575323)
Sorry, don't share the optimism but then it depends what are your expectations. A good enough team to make the series, sure. Just thought we were suppose to be beyond that as far as THE PLAN was concerned.

While the concept of the Canadiens blasting out of the gate and running away with the season was nice, the truth is, this team is a freight train and it needs to gain speed.

Our problem last season was we never faced enough adversity. We were a shocking team and by the time we became favourites, we were finally having to deal with some form of struggle. Now, we're getting the struggles out of our system now so once we get into the post-season, our team knows how to adapt.

Again, I don't care what our record is in the first 30 games. It's the last 30.

WeThreeKings 11-30-2008 07:36 AM

These posts only come out following a win. Bipolarism for the win. And yes, I'm also aware that I have it.

Blind Gardien 11-30-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 16575485)
These posts only come out following a win. Bipolarism for the win. And yes, I'm also aware that I have it.

Only after a win? Well, there can be monopolar reasons for that too... I theorize that LesHabsRock could make the same excellent points after a win or a loss... but a lot of monopolar Habs fans consciously avoid this place after a loss.

Bermy 11-30-2008 07:48 AM

I think its good for teams to go on slumps. It builds character. Detroit and Pittsburgh went on slumps last season

Pascal 11-30-2008 08:40 AM

I don't think this is a slump at all. Since Boston solved our game in the playoffs this team is 18-17. It's like they lost all their mojo since then, especially on the PP.

goalchenyuk 11-30-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Go Habs Go!

:bow::bow::bow:

i think that your post should be put in the sticky thread and that half of the existing threads should be closed with the link to your one

Kriss E 11-30-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Go Habs Go!

Our Defenseman has been pretty decent since the start. We were once tied with Minny for the least GAA.
Yet, we keep hearing about the most wanted missing player on our team as a Dman.

I don't want any trades or something alike, this is just whining from clueless fans.

But I do agree with them that there is criticism to be made. If it weren't for our 10-1-1 we wouldn't be around 5th spot.
We've looked sloppy for numerous games, and when the coach comes out regularly in the past month to say ''we're not working'' ''no effort'' ''it goes in one ear and comes out the other'', then you can't possibly say it's unwarranted criticism.

The people asking to trade Kovalev, Kost broz, Lang, Plek,etc.. are just dumb.

I think there are changes to be made, but within our group of guys.
Carbs must stop juggling lines every 2games and find stability. He has to go back with the same group of guys that gave us the #1 PP last year and just find a replacement on the point (A.Kost).
He has to find a better system in which the guys will be comfortable.

Teufelsdreck 11-30-2008 11:48 AM

When a team goes on roller coaster rides 3 seasons in a row under the same coach (and assistants), it's time to look critically at the coaching staff, particularly the top man. For example, can we blame the powerless power play on the absence of Mark Streit? Of course not, especially since the Habs have added Tanguay and Lang. It bothers me a lot that the Bruins are flourishing under Claude Julien. They look far more cohesive than the Habs. There are no roller coasters in Boston.

zx81 11-30-2008 12:03 PM

If you're going to remove the OT losses you should also remove the OT win.

In regulation they are 9-6

This is an ok record.

And how many of these wins were convincing ?
There were more awful losses than impressive wins IMO.

But I'm confident that we'll have a better month of December.

LesHabsRock 11-30-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 16577204)
If you're going to remove the OT losses you should also remove the OT win.

In regulation they are 9-6

This is an ok record.

And how many of these wins were convincing ?
There were more awful losses than impressive wins IMO.

But I'm confident that we'll have a better month of December.

Depends on what you define as impressive. They've had some pretty impressive one goal victories. The comeback victory over the Isles in a shootout after being down 4-1 in the 3rd period comes to mind. Now that's impressive. How about the 2-1 victory on Minnesota's home rink despite being on the penalty kill 10 times, all in the 2nd and 3rd periods of play? Was that not impressive to you?

Regardless of what kind of spin you want to put on this first quarter of the season I think the big picture is what you should look at. Yes, goal scoring is down for this team and I'm convinced it will get fixed, but the one thing you should all look at is the fact that it's making Montreal pay more attention to defense. Ths is something Montreal lacked last year. I like how it's deveolping especially the way they handled the mighty Wings (I was there live to watch it at the Joe). They stood them up at the blue line and didn't give the Wings anything to work with. This team is getting better, but you just can't see it. It's coming. Once the goals start coming you'll see a more complete game from this team than you saw last year. I credit the coaching staff for makng these adjustments to compensate for the goalscoring slump.

zx81 11-30-2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesHabsRock (Post 16581321)
Depends on what you define as impressive. They've had some pretty impressive one goal victories. The comeback victory over the Isles in a shootout after being down 4-1 in the 3rd period comes to mind. Now that's impressive. How about the 2-1 victory on Minnesota's home rink despite being on the penalty kill 10 times, all in the 2nd and 3rd periods of play? Was that not impressive to you?

Nice comeback against the Islanders but they played 12 minutes.

The 2-1 win was a great PK demonstration but hardly a great game. The fact they took 10 penalties speaks for itself.

Anyway you'll surely admit that these wins weren't overall great performances in which they played 60 minutes while dominating the opponents.

That being said, I expect a good month of December. Guys will step up.

BulldogFever 11-30-2008 09:34 PM

Our fans suck! They want to trade everyone all of the time, they crap on Gainey, Carbo. How would everybody feel if they played like Dallas or Ottawa or Calgary?

fufonzo 12-01-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck (Post 16577062)
When a team goes on roller coaster rides 3 seasons in a row under the same coach (and assistants), it's time to look critically at the coaching staff, particularly the top man. For example, can we blame the powerless power play on the absence of Mark Streit? Of course not, especially since the Habs have added Tanguay and Lang. It bothers me a lot that the Bruins are flourishing under Claude Julien. They look far more cohesive than the Habs. There are no roller coasters in Boston.

I doubt it. They had to have a very strong finish to barely make the P/O's last year. This year, they're a top team.

How is that less of a rollercoaster?

LesHabsRock 12-01-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx81 (Post 16582249)
Nice comeback against the Islanders but they played 12 minutes.

The 2-1 win was a great PK demonstration but hardly a great game. The fact they took 10 penalties speaks for itself.

Anyway you'll surely admit that these wins weren't overall great performances in which they played 60 minutes while dominating the opponents.

That being said, I expect a good month of December. Guys will step up.

Really? They only played 12 minutes? How many minutes did the Islanders play? Did they play 60 minutes? I'm sure their fans will tell you the Isles lost because THEY didn't play 60 minutes either.

I'm not really sure what your interpretation of "playing for 60 minutes" is. This is the catch phrase that fans and media use to say they didn't try hard for 60 minutes. IMO It's actually quite rare to play a full 60 minutes of hockey at full-throttle; even in one single game, let alone over 82 games. This phrase is overused and is just an assinine comment made when someone who doesn't really know the sport or has a logical answer to what's going on.

Over the course of every game by every team there are mistakes made and mental lapses and gaffs. The mighty Wings fans will tell you they're team isn't playing well either despite their overall record.

With all that being said, I'll agree that I believe December will be a good month for Les Habs. Go Habs Go!!!