HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is Higgins the Brunet of the past? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=578973)

otto bond 12-02-2008 10:32 AM

Is Higgins the Brunet of the past?

Sorry but I was watching 110% and Bureau compared Higgins to Benoit Brunet.
I tough about it for a second and in Brunet's early days, it kinda close. Both where and is good in the defensive zone. Brunet from I remember had decent hands and if this guy could had stayed healthy, he was the perfect 3 line player.
So Higgins=Benoit Brunet? I say it close enough to say yes!

LeMAD 12-02-2008 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto bond (Post 16604368)
I tough about it for a second and in Brunet's early days, it kinda close. Both where and is good in the defensive zone. Brunet from I remember had decent hands and if this guy could had stayed healthy, he was the perfect 3 line player.

No, Brunet was more about intelligence and poise, while it's Higgins main weakness. Brunet was better defensively and Higgins is better offensively, and better along the boards. Both good skaters thought.

Benzaza 12-02-2008 10:44 AM

the comparison is not crazy but LeMad made an excellent point on the strengths of each... dunno what higgins will be but a lot pf players would kill for his athletics abilities...too bad he does not used smartly sometimes

dutchy29 12-02-2008 10:44 AM

IMO Terrible, terrible comparison, I'm old enough I remember Benoit playing, Higgins has far more offensive potential. Even when Higgins isn't producing he is tough on the puck and able to forecheck and keep pucks deep. Benoit was far less of a factor on the ice.

Benzaza 12-02-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchy29 (Post 16604505)
IMO Terrible, terrible comparison, I'm old enough I remember Benoit playing, Higgins has far more offensive potential. Even when Higgins isn't producing he is tough on the puck and able to forecheck and keep pucks deep. Benoit was far less of a factor on the ice.

terrible is a big word dont you think?

he didnt compare shouray to robinson did he?

LeMAD 12-02-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

I disagree, Brunet was often our best player on the ice (at least before injuries slowed him).

otto bond 12-02-2008 10:48 AM

The comparison should be their result from the slitly diffrent strenght. Hard to score vs their lines. Should pot more goals but just don't. Granted Higgins has abetter shot but Brunet the better vision.

Blind Gardien 12-02-2008 10:54 AM

I understand the comparison. The mists of time have somewhat obscured the fact that Brunet did indeed have good hands and entered the league with decent expectations for offense. He was snowed under with the injury problems and ended up using his anticipation and vision to focus on defensive play, however.

Higgins doesn't seem to have the same hockey sense... and thankfully not the same injury history... but in the sense that they are of physically comparable dimensions and Higgins is also perhaps failing to live up to some of the offensive hopes we had for him (in a recent small sample, anyway), I can see the comparison/projection. But I remain optimistic that Higgins *will* score more.

Roulin 12-02-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 16604461)
No, Brunet was more about intelligence and poise, while it's Higgins main weakness. Brunet was better defensively and Higgins is better offensively, and better along the boards. Both good skaters thought.

Higgins is our best defensive winger. Check who the Habs put on the ice against the opposition's best, on defensive zone faceoffs, and at the end of close games. Higgins every time.

BadKiwi 12-02-2008 11:00 AM

Pfff! Higgins will be twice the analyst Brunet will ever be. Bad comparison. And yes, I think Higgins will not make a good analyst!

otto bond 12-02-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roulin (Post 16604627)
Higgins is our best defensive winger. Check who the Habs put on the ice against the opposition's best, on defensive zone faceoffs, and at the end of close games. Higgins every time.

I reason beind this is simply this;
Could Higgins fair better in 3rd line role while pilling up 50 +pts. Key word 3rd and I must say that a Brunet healthy and yougn could had put 40 pts a season back in the day on the 3rd line. Since higgins has the better shot( IMHO) morelikly score 10goals more.

CastroLeRobot 12-02-2008 11:08 AM

the comparison is disturbingly accurate

Bronto Dan 12-02-2008 11:14 AM

I was looking for his goal against Philly where he slided along the boards the escape a crushing but all I found was those.

Ben Brun the offensive menace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57O2kOY6vm4

foward to 2:20 for some Brun dangling moves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzze0KayLO4

:)

marchabsfan 12-02-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

is he gonna have "potential" till hes 40...anyways, as a third liner, I like higgins, a 20-25 goal scorer

Monctonscout 12-02-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Brunet was a role player that was as fragile as porcelaine. You can't compare Higgins to him until he starts missing half seasons every year. Higgins is a top 6 forward on 95% of NHL teams even though he can be maddeningly inconsistant.

Darz 12-02-2008 11:41 AM

It isn't a horrible comparison. Brunet, if it wasn't for all the injuries could of easily been a top six forward for many years. He had the skills to be more than a third liner.

I don't think it's a knock against Higgins to be called our new 'hopefully more healthy' Benoit Brunet.

I would give Brunet the edge in the hockey sense department, Higgins the edge in the goal scoring department, even in the skating department......

Poor Benoit...can't think of another player who had so many fluky injuries.

Brisebois 12-02-2008 11:50 AM

Ahhh... remembering one of my favorite goals.

Brunet was skating shorthanded along the boards, some player tried to crush him and he jumped OVER the player, then fed Koivu for a goal.

One of my favorite Hab moments in the late 90s

CH4 12-02-2008 12:05 PM

Brunet could have been very good.

I didn't know he used to be scoring leader of the AHL.

Without injuries, who knows what player this guy could have been.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=631

VAN-HAB 12-02-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

I hope this a joke.

Licou 12-02-2008 12:23 PM

Brunet not good offensively?

Some people have no memory at all, or just didn't see him play... If Benoit wasn't as fragile as crystal, he would have been a tremendous scorer. He had better hands than even most of our current roster...

Monctonscout 12-02-2008 12:42 PM

HMMM...let's see Brunet's 2 best years were 14 goals...if you add those 2 together it's onlt ONE more than Higgins had all of last year...yeah, great comparison :shakehead

Higgins already has 77 goals in 242 games and is just entering his prime.

Brunet had 101 in 539.

Brunet was a fragile 3rd liner who could score you 15. Higgins is a 2 way 2nd liner who can score you 20-30 and he is a lot more durable.

znk 12-02-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Brunet had good offensive talent and we kept seeing glimpses of it. I kept thinking he would take it up a notch. They also keep seem to get injured more then normal.

gillyguzzler 12-02-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licou (Post 16605581)
Brunet not good offensively?

Some people have no memory at all, or just didn't see him play... If Benoit wasn't as fragile as crystal, he would have been a tremendous scorer. He had better hands than even most of our current roster...

Brunet never had more than 14 goals in any season.
Brunet never had more than 32 points in any season.
Brunet only had 5 goals in 54 playoff games.

Most of our current roster? Koivu? Higgins? Tanguay? Kovy? AK46? Lang? SK74? Markov? Plek?

Sure, better than Bégin...BGL...Laps...Dandy...OB...even Lats...but most?

Quiz : Did Brunet like playing with a short stick or a long stick?

Monctonscout 12-02-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyguzzler (Post 16605861)

Most of our current roster? Koivu? Higgins? Tanguay? Kovy? AK46? Lang? SK74? Markov? Plek?

Lats has scored 16 goals twice at 19 and 20, that was more than Brunet's best years, yeah I'd say he has better hands than him.

Licou 12-02-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillyguzzler (Post 16605861)

Look at game played...

Look... It's obvious that you never saw him play but anyway... He was not a reliable player because well, he was quite always injured and when he was actually playing, he was still nursing his previous injuries.

I would take A. Kost, Koivu and pretty much every player on the current roster before Brunet, all I was saying is that his HANDS (TALENT) were sick, if you also consider that his hockey sens and vision were superior than average...