HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Rutherford Interview 3/1 (nothing very new) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=57909)

Les Ouragans 03-03-2004 09:47 AM

Rutherford Interview 3/1 (nothing very new)

On "Front Office Access" radio show Monday afternoon:

Continues to get many phone calls about O'Neill and Hill - thats where most of the interest is. But not going to make a deal just to make one (ie, gonna take a lot to get them)

Very pleased with Irbe's play so far, hasn't gotten any recent inquiries about him but willing to entertain them - said he would definitely take a chance on him if he were in other GM's shoes. But in terms of what it would take to get him, "I'm not going to give him away"

HughJass* 03-03-2004 05:16 PM

Rutherford is a bit daft. He will need to give Irbe away. Now it looks like he won't be able to trade O'Neill unless he wants to get at least 2 high draft picks back from somewhere. No one will give him what he wants at this point.

Damn, Balej, a first, and a second for O'Neill & Hill wouldn't have been so bad....

Plan 9 03-03-2004 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Damn, Balej, a first, and a second for O'Neill & Hill wouldn't have been so bad....

Not terrible, but if I were handed that offer as the Canes GM I'm not so sure I would accept it.

DaveG 03-03-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

No way I would have accepted that. I'd rather stick with Hill and O'Neill then get that as a return.

ginner classic 03-04-2004 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caneflyer
On "Front Office Access" radio show Monday afternoon:

Continues to get many phone calls about O'Neill and Hill - thats where most of the interest is. But not going to make a deal just to make one (ie, gonna take a lot to get them)

Very pleased with Irbe's play so far, hasn't gotten any recent inquiries about him but willing to entertain them - said he would definitely take a chance on him if he were in other GM's shoes. But in terms of what it would take to get him, "I'm not going to give him away"

Is this the same Irbe that cleared waivers earlier this season? Yeah JR...you are not going to just give him away.....you are going to have to pay out the rest of his salary first. What a moron.

jeffbear 03-04-2004 08:39 AM

Again we're stuck with this ... what do you want the guy to say in public? "Yeah, we'de give Irbe away to the first team that gets us off the hook for ANY of his remaining salary" ... I mean, get real. You can't come out and say that about your backup goalie in public.

The Kitner Boy 03-04-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffbear
Again we're stuck with this ... what do you want the guy to say in public? "Yeah, we'de give Irbe away to the first team that gets us off the hook for ANY of his remaining salary" ... I mean, get real. You can't come out and say that about your backup goalie in public.

Didn't they do that when they put him on waivers. JR is a fool if he turned down any offer for Irbe. He might be a fool anyway.

Les Ouragans 03-04-2004 09:54 AM

Hey I'm just reporting what the man said :)

HughJass* 03-04-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Why say anything at all? :dunno: Just because the players ask? The franchise already does a great job of not speaking to the fans, so....

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVUCanesFan
No way I would have accepted that. I'd rather stick with Hill and O'Neill then get that as a return.

Why not? The way things are shaping up right now is they will get nothing for Hill (i.e., it's contract year...I doubt Rutherford resigns him) and it seems like Rutherford is bent on getting rid of O (upon popular belief). We are going to get screwed. Just watch. This franchise will fall back into it's Whaler-ways and just be lovable losers again.

Btw the rumors have slowed down, I don't think Rutherford will be able to move anyone else. Wow, what a great job of rebuiding if he can't move anyone. :/

Let's be honest, this team will be in the tank for years if we don't upgrade our minor league system and develop some good prospects. We need picks.

DaveG 03-04-2004 12:33 PM

Quote:

Why say anything at all? :dunno: Just because the players ask? The franchise already does a great job of not speaking to the fans, so....

Why not? The way things are shaping up right now is they will get nothing for Hill (i.e., it's contract year...I doubt Rutherford resigns him) and it seems like Rutherford is bent on getting rid of O (upon popular belief). We are going to get screwed. Just watch. This franchise will fall back into it's Whaler-ways and just be lovable losers again.

Btw the rumors have slowed down, I don't think Rutherford will be able to move anyone else. Wow, what a great job of rebuiding if he can't move anyone. :/

Let's be honest, this team will be in the tank for years if we don't upgrade our minor league system and develop some good prospects. We need picks.

main reason is that I'm not very high on this draft outside of the top 10. It's not like last year where a Patrice Bergeron type could slip to around the 45th pick. I also think that Balej isn't as good as he's hyped up to be.

bleedgreen 03-04-2004 12:36 PM

lets be honest, the whale was rarely this bad. aside from the cup run year - this team really hasnt improved much since they left. im not trying to get into a discussion about it - its a statemant on the reign of jim rutherford.

HughJass* 03-04-2004 02:10 PM

Evidently, Rutherford wanted Higgins and Gainey said "hell no":

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=58449

bleedgreen 03-04-2004 02:14 PM

i saw that, i hope its not true. maybe oneill with ward? i think higgins is the type of player we need. im glad rutherford is picking good players to go after, i hope he doesnt cave in at the end.

jeffbear 03-04-2004 04:01 PM

If that Higgins report is true, it fits what I've heard leakingout of West Raleigh ... that JR wants a potential franchise player if he's going to send O'Neill anywhere.

Another rumor floating around has O going to Vancouver for RJ Umberger ... just passing along a rumor

Mats NAslund 03-04-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

If that Higgins report is true, it fits what I've heard leakingout of West Raleigh ... that JR wants a potential franchise player if he's going to send O'Neill anywhere.

Another rumor floating around has O going to Vancouver for RJ Umberger ... just passing along a rumor

How about a first and Plekanec(see Hamilton Bulldogs) for O'Neil and Hill?

punchy1 03-04-2004 05:35 PM

Hi guys. What would it take from the Kings to land Vacisek from you? I read where you might be shopping him and that they might be interested. Since he is an RFA next year and you lot have several need areas I was just curious.

(from a post on the Kings board)

"I was reading the ESPN board today and i came upon this".

The Raliegh News Observer reports that the Carolina Hurricanes are listening to offers regarding center Josef Vasicek. The Avs, Sharks, and Kings are rumored interested and have the prospects that Carolina wants. The Cane's also want to shed payroll. They sit 8 points out of the last playoff spot in the East.

What do you think?

Les Ouragans 03-04-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchy1
Hi guys. What would it take from the Kings to land Vacisek from you? I read where you might be shopping him and that they might be interested. Since he is an RFA next year and you lot have several need areas I was just curious.

The Raliegh News Observer reports that the Carolina Hurricanes are listening to offers regarding center Josef Vasicek. The Avs, Sharks, and Kings are rumored interested and have the prospects that Carolina wants. The Cane's also want to shed payroll. They sit 8 points out of the last playoff spot in the East.

What do you think?

I think that a quick scan of all Hurricanes articles in the Raleigh News and Observer turns up no such quote or report. Sounds bogus to me.

I have always heard that Vasicek was untouchable. I seriously doubt he'd be moved for prospects. He is still touted as the future core of the team.

There is an interesting article in the N&O about the owner of the AAA Durham Bulls possibly joining Karmanos as part owner of the team, but I'll make that another thread.

thecanucker 03-04-2004 06:23 PM

How about this :
To Vancouver- O'neil, Wesley
To Carolina- Jason King, R.J. Umberger, 1st round pick

Plan 9 03-04-2004 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund
How about a first and Plekanec(see Hamilton Bulldogs) for O'Neil and Hill?

NO.

Quote:

What would it take from the Kings to land Vacisek from you?

NO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecanucker
How about this :
To Vancouver- O'neil, Wesley
To Carolina- Jason King, R.J. Umberger, 1st round pick

NO.

bleedgreen 03-04-2004 09:24 PM

Quote:

What do you think?

the address is www.news-observer.com/hurricanes/
they list all the articles that have been run lately. please find this rumour for the rest of us, cause i know i missed it. listing someone elses thread that has no link is assuming that it is true. when you assume - you make an ASS out of U and ME. im not trying to be rude, but all the bad canes rumours are annoying enough without flat out lies about articles in papers.
vasicek is young, cheap, and obviously someone you keep around when you are rebuilding. it is very similar to trading cole, unless the player coming back is a siginificant upgrade....why would a rebuilding team trade him?

DaveG 03-05-2004 12:54 AM

Vasicek is possibly the cheepest point per dollar spent palyer in the NHL this year, and is definitely the cheepest the Canes have. There's no reason to trade the guy since he's affordable, young, is starting to turn into a solid player, fits in well with Lav's system, and really seems to like it here.

WoodGundy 03-05-2004 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
but all the bad canes rumours are annoying enough without flat out lies about articles in papers.

Not as annoying as anyone thinking we would take King back in a package for O'Neill.

Not as annoying as anyone thinking we would even claim him off waivers. We already have a team of 3rd liners.

HughJass* 03-05-2004 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caneflyer
There is an interesting article in the N&O about the owner of the AAA Durham Bulls possibly joining Karmanos as part owner of the team, but I'll make that another thread.

Yes, Karmanos is looking to add some minority ownership. I think it was something like 5%. Maybe that's just a number I got from the Canes official board. :dunno: Anyhoot, this will definitely help keep the team in Raleigh.

Also, a word on ESPN's boards. One, you have to pay for it. Two, they some time make up stuff (refer back to 'one').

punchy1 03-05-2004 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
the address is www.news-observer.com/hurricanes/
they list all the articles that have been run lately. please find this rumour for the rest of us, cause i know i missed it. listing someone elses thread that has no link is assuming that it is true. when you assume - you make an ASS out of U and ME. im not trying to be rude, but all the bad canes rumours are annoying enough without flat out lies about articles in papers.
vasicek is young, cheap, and obviously someone you keep around when you are rebuilding. it is very similar to trading cole, unless the player coming back is a siginificant upgrade....why would a rebuilding team trade him?

Sorry mate. I merely posted what I had read and as such that doesn't come close to making me responsible for the veracity of it. Go to the boards and tell the bloke who posted it about it. I don't know anything on whether or not it is true and simply posted it as the rumour I reckoned it to be.

I see what you are saying though, you don't like what the messenger brings so he is an ASS. Right mate. What happened to intelligent recourse on an idea?

It isnt like I said "How about you give us Vacisek for a 9th round pick and my Aunts fanny. I came and said that I had read this posting that quotes what is said to be an actual article (and NO, I didn't and Wouldn't look it up for you because I don't bloody care) about a rumour involving both of our teams.

Lets say it were on the front page of every newspaper and on every tele in your country, it STILL would be a rumour and have the same impact on what I had asked.

Lets try it another way.

Lets say this rumour that is supposed to have come from some small paper that follows your team thinks that Vacisek, a player who recieved a one year deal last year and that means that he will again be an RFA this year looking for a raise, might be available. Lets also say that my team is one of many who would want him.
Even though we all know that well more than 98% of all rumours are rubbish, what would it take to nab him from your team.

I haven't really noticed him and his 37 points but, he is young and big and even though he had a back injury and my team is the land of injuries he might be an upgrade over some of the young centers we have in our system so we might be willing to have a look. Of course, he would cost allot, what would your opinion of that cost be?

I would say our only untouchable would be Frolov. Other than that, make an offer.

punchy1 03-05-2004 10:26 AM

As an update, I asked the bloke who posted the "article" to provide a link to it or where he found it so as to make that part of the question easier for us to get after.

I also wanted to be certain to make sure you know I am not trying to sound smarmy or condescending and if it comes off as such i am sorry in advance. I reckon it is a communication thing as I have been told I sound that way before and I never get angry about this stuff and wouldn't want to anger anyone else.