HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   News Article: NHL suspends avery indefinitely for comments made, pending hearing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=579166)

sonetlumiere 12-02-2008 05:36 PM

NHL suspends avery indefinitely for comments made, pending hearing

Quote:

The NHL has suspended Dallas Stars' forward Sean Avery indefinitely, pending a hearing with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, and Avery will not be playing in tonight's game against the Calgary Flames.

Avery is being suspended for disparaging remarks he made this morning in reference to Calgary player Dion Phaneuf and Phaneuf's girl friend Elisha Cuthbert, who previously had a relationship with Avery.

"I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery said on camera this morning in Calgary. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

The hearing will take place in accordance with the NHL Constitution, for conduct "detrimental to the League or game of hockey," the NHL announced today.

Stars' owner Tom Hicks also released a statement on the team's website in which he said he supported the NHL's decision.

"Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have," Hicks stated. "This organization will not tolerate such behaviour, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."
- tsn.ca

sucks they had to suspend him immediately following his comments, i would've love to have seen dion hospitalize this embarrassment

Lanny'sDaMan 12-02-2008 05:45 PM

I think this may just be the first "Protective Suspension" in the history of the League.

Pomeranian 12-02-2008 05:59 PM

I get it he was trash talking for attention etc. But, he did go beyond when insulting a person not playing in the game tonight. It should not be open season on wives and girlfriends and families.....

Hyde 12-02-2008 06:10 PM

It had to be done, he should have kept it for the game.

haQ Loob 12-02-2008 06:11 PM

Hell, Elisha Cuthbert is hot no matter who did her first. She's on Dion now - he wins. A win is two points. A suspension is none.

Game to Phaneuf, sloppy or not.

Lunatik* 12-02-2008 06:31 PM

I love how Hicks said the Stars would have suspended him anyways... and hwo Turco called him out for never backing up his big mouth

StreakingRed 12-02-2008 06:32 PM

Avery is on a roll today. His big mouth goes and gets him suspended for some classless comments, immediately after his coach vouched for him in the media, in which he manages to piss off the Dallas Stars organization and in the end screws over his team tonight who already have significant injuries in the lineup. Way to go, clown. Easily the worst signing of the off-season.

MaineHockey1 12-02-2008 06:32 PM

From Boston with love....... Merry Christmas from us to u!:naughty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDJY_PCehN0
What a joke! As for you guys ....kick some Dallas arse!
And Avery is just jelous he got his butt dumped for someone MUCH better!:D

Reydin 12-02-2008 07:15 PM

I wanted to see Phaneuf slam that ****, Oh well, money or pain? I personally would've love to see some pain inflicted but thats just me.

getoverit 12-02-2008 07:39 PM

is their anywhere you can hear this or hear exactly what he said? too bad, between Iggy and Phaneuf, he was toast anyways, would have been fun to watch :handclap:

mlandry 12-02-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 16613128)
Avery is on a roll today. His big mouth goes and gets him suspended for some classless comments, immediately after his coach vouched for him in the media, in which he manages to piss off the Dallas Stars organization and in the end screws over his team tonight who already have significant injuries in the lineup. Way to go, clown. Easily the worst signing of the off-season.

Yeah, I lost all respect for the Stars once they signed him and they were my favorite Western team before. But they are showing everyone on the team hates him so I'm putting them back on my OK list =p

Wyrm 12-02-2008 08:37 PM

As much as I dislike Avery what is NHL doing in people's bedrooms? Are they going to start policing people's private lives? Absolutely ridiculous suspension from that point of view. Gary Battmanello must be stuck with a woman he hates, so he spills his jealousy on the players. The ultimate bad ass. :shakehead

Luongo4VP 12-02-2008 09:38 PM

You guys seriously have no sense of humour. Are you actually mad at Avery's comments? Hell, I would be much more pissed off at the shots he took at Iginla, than what this clown had to say about that Dim-witted frankenstien Dion.

Wow, Calgary fans don't know how to take a joke:shakehead.

Ps: The league is garbage for that suspension, totally unwarranted. Makes me sad to be a hockey fan really.

GoFlames 12-02-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luongo4VP (Post 16617720)
You guys seriously have no sense of humour. Are you actually mad at Avery's comments? Hell, I would be much more pissed off at the shots he took at Iginla, than what this clown had to say about that Dim-witted frankenstien Dion.

Ps: The league is garbage for that suspension, totally unwarranted. Makes me sad to be a hockey fan really.

Can we say Hyperbole MKAY! :nod:

Steve 12-02-2008 10:01 PM

Alot of good comments here;
- Families should be kept out of the Media
- Probably was the first suspension as a preventative measure
- Avery is a Moron
- League should keep out of it and shouldn't have suspended him, a fine would have been better.....and the game would have been WAY more exciting.

Luongo4VP 12-02-2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 16618283)
Alot of good comments here;
- Families should be kept out of the Media
- Probably was the first suspension as a preventative measure
- Avery is a Moron
- League should keep out of it and shouldn't have suspended him, a fine would have been better.....and the game would have been WAY more exciting.

What exactly did he say to get bashed so badly?

StreakingRed 12-02-2008 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luongo4VP (Post 16617720)

I guess you and I have a different view on humour, and judging by comments made on the main board by fans of other teams, it appears it's not a "Calgary fans" thing.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but as far as I'm concerned - No, I'm not "mad" at his comments. I'm just voicing my opinion on comments made by a player I don't like or respect (or find to be funny). Like I said on the GDT, I expected Avery to bring up Phaneuf's girlfriend in trash talking on the ice. But I never thought even he'd be as low as to call the cameras over to make those kind of comments to the media. I'm sure some people liked it because they like his WWE-approach to marketing himself, or some just don't like Phaneuf and found it hilarious, or whatever the case may be, to each his own. There is no middle ground with Avery. People either love him or hate him.

Hyde 12-02-2008 11:46 PM

Personally, I am mad and disgusted. I understand that players say things on the ice. That was were this should have been said between Sean and Dion, not to the National Media. The term "Sloppy Seconds" is sexist and/or degrading take your pick.

The NHL had absolutely no choice in how to handle this and the fact that so many here think otherwise is scary and sad to honest.

Hyperkookeez* 12-03-2008 01:17 AM

too bad avery couldnt play tonight and disrupt the stars dressing room

KiwiFlamesFan 12-03-2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 16620506)
I guess you and I have a different view on humour, and judging by comments made on the main board by fans of other teams, it appears it's not a "Calgary fans" thing.

I don't want to speak for everyone else, but as far as I'm concerned - No, I'm not "mad" at his comments. I'm just voicing my opinion on comments made by a player I don't like or respect (or find to be funny). Like I said on the GDT, I expected Avery to bring up Phaneuf's girlfriend in trash talking on the ice. But I never thought even he'd be as low as to call the cameras over to make those kind of comments to the media. I'm sure some people liked it because they like his WWE-approach to marketing himself, or some just don't like Phaneuf and found it hilarious, or whatever the case may be, to each his own. There is no middle ground with Avery. People either love him or hate him.

You definately spoke for me in that post.

I think that Nucks fan only came over and posted because they saw an opportunity to bash Phaneuf. As you said people may like it because they dislike Phaneuf.

I find it extremely stupid to, as you also said, call the cameras over to make that comment. He must of been up half the night thinking it up :shakehead

Any word on what Phaneuf or other Flames thought of it?

Flames 1st pick 12-03-2008 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiwiFlamesFan (Post 16622239)

Any word on what Phaneuf or other Flames thought of it?

No, but his brain was definitely occupied by it...he totally sucked last night.

puck_08 12-03-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyrm (Post 16616076)
As much as I dislike Avery what is NHL doing in people's bedrooms? Are they going to start policing people's private lives? Absolutely ridiculous suspension from that point of view. Gary Battmanello must be stuck with a woman he hates, so he spills his jealousy on the players. The ultimate bad ass. :shakehead

The NHL is trying to keep people's bedrooms out of the media, by suspending someone for talking about it at an NHL interview after the morning skate.. how is that policing their private lives?

Ice Cream Man 12-03-2008 10:39 AM

Sorry, but the NHL did the right thing. While last night's game would have been extremely fun to watch if Avery were, indeed, playing, he shot himself in the foot with his pre-meditated attack on an issue that trancends the rink and into the lives of people un-related to the NHL.

You DO NOT make sexist / derogatory remarks like that when you clearly HAVE NO REASON TO DO SO... ESPECIALLY TO THE MEDIA.

The NHL looks like a class organization for protecting the dignity and respect of someone who cannot defend themself properly after being attacked by a someone beakin' off because they think it's funny. There is no place for that in sports, let alone hockey. If people want to beak off, by all means... do it on the ice.

Avery has no business commenting on the personal lives of other people. Keep your freakin' trap shut. Seems like the NHL, the Dallas Stars organization and Avery's teammates all agree with me here.

Miko 12-03-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man (Post 16624794)
Sorry, but the NHL did the right thing. While last night's game would have been extremely fun to watch if Avery were, indeed, playing, he shot himself in the foot with his pre-meditated attack on an issue that trancends the rink and into the lives of people un-related to the NHL.

You DO NOT make sexist / derogatory remarks like that when you clearly HAVE NO REASON TO DO SO... ESPECIALLY TO THE MEDIA.

The NHL looks like a class organization for protecting the dignity and respect of someone who cannot defend themself properly after being attacked by a someone beakin' off because they think it's funny. There is no place for that in sports, let alone hockey. If people want to beak off, by all means... do it on the ice.

Avery has no business commenting on the personal lives of other people. Keep your freakin' trap shut. Seems like the NHL, the Dallas Stars organization and Avery's teammates all agree with me here.

I completely agree with everything you just said.Avery's the only one to be blamed in this situation.

The nhl's head office made the right call on this one.

AndersEriksson* 12-03-2008 02:55 PM

If only the NHL was as effective in getting rid of hits to the head as they are when it comes to comments about ex-girlfriends.

Technically he was pretty much telling the truth. Even if saying how his sloppy seconds seem to be falling in love with most of the NHL could have been even more accurate.

The suspension was an absolute joke.

Freedom of speech applies even to dumbass hockeyplayers.