HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   PGT: Stars @ Flames, Game 25 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=579285)

Snoil11 12-02-2008 10:52 PM

PGT: Stars @ Flames, Game 25

Fire away!

KiwiFlamesFan 12-02-2008 10:53 PM

Only saw the third period. Phaneuf looked awful. Dallas shut us down pretty good. Moss looked good from what I saw of him tonight.

kruezer 12-02-2008 10:56 PM

You know, I keep thinking Phaneuf has turned the corner defensively, and then he falls apart again, he is getting eaten alive this year and its killing the Flames. It should be no surprise his best streaks of defensive games reflect the Flames winning streaks.

Hyde 12-02-2008 10:58 PM

I gave my vote to Aucoin. Just thought he had a really good game. The Stars were a focused team, full marks for the win.

Though I should also say that the Flames were the "better" team, they had the better chances and Turco came up big. The shots were what 37-23 advantage Flames. Kudo. Stars, kudos...now please go defeat the Oil.

We have seen much worse efforts from this team, so now I'm personally going to now enjoy the rest of my evening gentlemen.

GoFlames 12-02-2008 10:58 PM

Too bad about the loss but I was glad to see Moss gaining confidence and starting to develop some softer hands. So my vote goes to Moss. Turco #%**!

StreakingRed 12-02-2008 11:02 PM

Flames failed to show the same intensity they showed in the last few games (especially after Brunnstrom's goal until the end of that period), and the Stars showed more jump. Gotta give credit to Turco, he played pretty well.

MVP vote to David Moss.

Lanny'sDaMan 12-02-2008 11:03 PM

Third Period
The final period was again not bad, but miles away from good. Dallas took the game right to the Flames from the opening faceoff to the final second of the third. The boys in red simply had no jump, no urgency in their game tonight. It was much like the game against Detroit, in that when the Flames finally did get into the game, it was too little too late.
The penalty kill continues to be the brightest spot on this team with now 18 straight perfect kills. Miikka was stellar, and the players were quick to clear pucks not only from the front of the net, but also from the zone. Managing that on a double minor was also a touch of icing on the proverbial PK cake. Tho I wasn’t happy to see a linesman call that penalty it was certainly deserved. Just goes to show how useless the refs can be as there was one right in frnt of Lombardi when he committed his infraction, and there was no call.
Moss was the best Flame player, without question. He skated, he shot, he hit, basically did it all. He tried his best to put the team on his back. Which begs the question where the heck was Iggy for all of this? To be fair the first line did have their fair share of chances, but Moss outshined everyone else on the Flames tonight.

Overall Impressions
Well, not a bad game, but what I would define as a listless game. The Flames just didn’t play hard enough, or work near to their ability. The Stars deserve this win, and the Flames just have to regroup for the next game. At least there are definitely signs of good her. Again with the flawless PK, and Miikka was solid, with only the one goal that I blame him for (the second one).
This is what happens when your players take it easy for any portion of the game. The Stars are not a horrible team, they’ve been playing under their skill, and tonight they played up to their ability. While the Flames played below their ability. Lazy skating, and poor neutral zone passing is what killed them tonight.

Three Stars By Me
1. Marty Turco
2. David Moss
3. Fabian Brunnstrom

Snoil11 12-02-2008 11:03 PM

Toss up between Moss and Aucoin, who IMO both had pretty good games today. Unfortunately, they were unable to convert (more of) their chances.
The goal finally tipped the balance in favor of Moss.

Pomeranian 12-02-2008 11:04 PM

Turco has gained some confidence also it seems! I have a feeling they felt way better with Avery off the team. Wish we woulda have won, but theres never a 'sure win" I think.

StreakingRed 12-02-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pomeranian (Post 16619869)
Turco has gained some confidence also it seems!

Well here's hoping that newly gained confidence carries over into his game tomorrow.

Hyde 12-02-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 16620597)
Well here's hoping that newly gained confidence carries over into his game tomorrow.

The Stars have a very nice record against the NW so here is hoping. Plus Turco from all reports in so Happy now the Avery is gone maybe is really is back.

Treliving The Dream 12-03-2008 12:13 AM

I only watched the third period. Moss looks great, he gets my vote for MVP.

Northern Neighbour 12-03-2008 09:10 AM

Turco was terrific last night. He stole that game for the Stars.

David Moss, IMO, was the best Flame last night. He looks very, very confident on the ice. Aucoin also had a good game.

Iginla, for the most part, was invisible. Heck, the whole top line had a poor night and struggled against the Stars' defensive system.

tsumetai 12-03-2008 09:51 AM

Apprently Turco has wicked stats vs Canadian teams lol

sgupca 12-03-2008 10:17 AM

i'm not a believer of a MVP unless you win.

But i voted Moss, as he was the best player.

Noori 12-03-2008 10:26 AM

What? I thought Turco sucked. What the hell was that? Aucoin/Moss must have ten golden scoring chances. We should have won this game but oh well, it happens sometimes. Stars were pretty good defensivley, that's pretty much all they did in the third but they did it well. My MVP goes to Moss.

puck_08 12-03-2008 10:27 AM

Sometimes I wish we could have a vote for the worst player.. but it would be a tough choice between Phaneuf, Bertuzzi and Iginla. Phaneuf would win I think.

Snoil11 12-03-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck_08 (Post 16624616)
Sometimes I wish we could have a vote for the worst player.. but it would be a tough choice between Phaneuf, Bertuzzi and Iginla. Phaneuf would win I think.

Noted. ;)

Rudolf Yaber 12-03-2008 06:15 PM

Turco sucks all year, only to come to Calgary and school the Flames. I am not surprised, he is almost always unstoppable against Calgary. I would rather face Brodeur/Luongo.