HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Havlat - End of the Road? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=579673)

Gorgeous George 12-03-2008 11:05 PM

Havlat - End of the Road?

According to Spector's Hockey, Havlat is being demoted to the third line in an attempt for Chicago 'to learn to live life without Havlat'. This statement was in regards to potentially moving Havlat before becoming an UFA at season's end.

Tim Sassone reports the demotion of Blackhawks winger Martin Havlat to the club's third line suggests management might be preparing for life without him. Sassone notes rumors suggesting Havlat might be shopped to free up cap space.

Obviously, this would be ludicrous if you want to showcase an offensive player who is finally rebounding after several disappointing seaons.

What are your thoughts? What would Havlat garner in return? Would he be worth re-signing for less money?

http://spectorshockey.net/

Kaktus* 12-03-2008 11:08 PM

It's about time. Throw him out.

Peter Griffin 12-03-2008 11:09 PM

I'd like to see the Canucks inquire about him if the Hawks really are looking to shed cap space, but my guess is the Canucks won't likely be making any moves any time soon.

Edit: I find it funny the writer is suggesting that the Hawks are preparing themselves for life without Havlat. Haven't they experienced that enough the last two seasons?

Blackhawkswincup 12-03-2008 11:11 PM

Tim Sassone is an idiot!

That is all!!!!!!!!!!!!

danishh 12-03-2008 11:14 PM

is it just me, or did this thread dissappear for 5 minutes?

Bird Law 12-03-2008 11:15 PM

Havlat for Rozsival + something

Blackhawkswincup 12-03-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 16638167)

No thank you

sgupca 12-03-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 16638167)

I think Chicago wants to clear CAP space without taking much in return.

Lets say Sundin signs in Chicago, they'll trade Havlatt to Van (who has all kinds of CAP space) for a 1st + prospect.

Peter Griffin 12-03-2008 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupca (Post 16638220)
I think Chicago wants to clear CAP space without taking much in return.

Lets say Sundin signs in Chicago, they'll trade Havlatt to Van (who has all kinds of CAP space) for a 1st + prospect.

If Chicago wants to sign Sundin, Vancouver isn't likely to help Chicago out by taking on Havlat for a 1st and prospect.

sgupca 12-03-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 16638244)
If Chicago wants to sign Sundin, Vancouver isn't likely to help Chicago out by taking on Havlat for a 1st and prospect.

That wasn't my point, if Sundin signed in Chicago (looks like Khabby might go on long term IR -- which opens CAP) Havlat would be another option for the Nucks and probably wouldn't cost them a ton to land him.

I actually think Sundin will sign in Van City.

Gorgeous George 12-03-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danishh (Post 16638161)
is it just me, or did this thread dissappear for 5 minutes?

It's just you. Make an appointment with your opthamologist immediately.

I needed to finish editing the post.

WhiskeySeven 12-03-2008 11:23 PM

If I were the Habs:

1st Round Pick 2008 OR Fisher + 2nd Round Pick 2008

We have 2mil in cap space, so it'd have to be at the trade deadline. Maybe sending Dandenault back in case O'Byrne picks up his play.

Though, I don't know why the Hawks want to get rid of such a good natural talent. Personality issues?

Peter Griffin 12-03-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgupca (Post 16638272)
That wasn't my point, if Sundin signed in Chicago (looks like Khabby might go on long term IR -- which opens CAP) Havlat would be another option for the Nucks and probably wouldn't cost them a ton to land him.

I'd consider a 1st and prospect a pretty hefty price for Havlat if the Hawks are looking to dump his salary, which they would be if they were looking to sign Sundin. There are only a handful of teams that could take on Havlat's salary at this point, and even less that would actually want him IMO. As for Bulin going on LTIR, that doesn't open any cap space, it just lets them temporarily exceed the cap. As soon as he's back they have to get right back under the cap.

Quote:

I actually think Sundin will sign in Van City.
I don't even know what to expect from Sundin at this point.

Piffle 12-03-2008 11:28 PM

If Havlat does get traded, it will be for a good young top 6 center, because that is what the Hawks need right now. If we have to throw in some extra goodies to get someone like Jordan Staal, then we will.

If they can't get something they need for the long term like that, they'll keep Havlat to help get them into the playoffs.

vcx* 12-03-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffle (Post 16638350)
If Havlat does get traded, it will be for a good young top 6 center, because that is what the Hawks need right now. If we have to throw in some extra goodies to get someone like Jordan Staal, then we will.

If they can't get something they need for the long term like that, they'll keep Havlat to help get them into the playoffs.

I don't think an often injured top 6 winger that has been under performing this season and is an Unrestricted Free Agent is going to bring back that kind of return. Just so you know. Havlat is talented but he is extremely injury prone and now that he has been healthy thus far, he hasn't been all that impressive. He scored just his 7th goal this season and I think he is at 18pts right now.

Gorgeous George 12-03-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Good point.

But is now the time to pull the trigger on a deal, or will Havlat's stock continue to rise throughout the season? If he suffers another injury, Chicago could be left losing him to UFA for nothing.

WhiskeySeven 12-03-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Havlat is UFA and not really tearing it up. His value is on par with a 1st rounder.

Todds Chiropractory 12-03-2008 11:37 PM

Raymond for Havlat.

CM- 12-03-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkiness (Post 16638297)
If I were the Habs:

1st Round Pick 2008 OR Fisher + 2nd Round Pick 2008

We have 2mil in cap space, so it'd have to be at the trade deadline. Maybe sending Dandenault back in case O'Byrne picks up his play.

Though, I don't know why the Hawks want to get rid of such a good natural talent. Personality issues?

Didn't they deal the 1st round pick in 2008 to Calgary where Calgary drafted Greg Nemisz?

Piffle 12-03-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcx (Post 16638388)
I don't think an often injured top 6 winger that has been under performing this season and is an Unrestricted Free Agent is going to bring back that kind of return. Just so you know. Havlat is talented but he is extremely injury prone and now that he has been healthy thus far, he hasn't been all that impressive. He scored just his 7th goal this season and I think he is at 18pts right now.

18 points in 23 games isn't chopped liver. Pens need impact wingers in a bad way, and as far as I know there isn't anyone better than Havlat available for anything reasonable (Pitt can't afford Gaborik's ongoing cap hit or to give up the assets they would need to give up to get him). Hawks have wings coming out of their ears and would be able to throw in another 1 or 2 to make this happen without hurting themselves (Brouwer, Aliu, Ladd, etc).

WhiskeySeven 12-03-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM- (Post 16638527)
Didn't they deal the 1st round pick in 2008 to Calgary where Calgary drafted Greg Nemisz?

As far as I know we still have our 1st round pick for this upcoming draft.

massivegoonery 12-03-2008 11:54 PM

What? You people are all insane. Havlat's on the 3rd line because the lines were getting all mixed around to try to break a slump before it happened.

If he gets traded, start the offer with a first and then add.

Classic Devil 12-03-2008 11:55 PM

What are the Hawks looking for? I've seen a bunch of Hawks games and my guess is second-line center. Am I right?

massivegoonery 12-04-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson (Post 16638417)
Good point.

But is now the time to pull the trigger on a deal, or will Havlat's stock continue to rise throughout the season? If he suffers another injury, Chicago could be left losing him to UFA for nothing.

"Losing him to UFA for nothing" is irrelevant. Hawks need to win now.

Cocoham 12-04-2008 12:07 AM

A first rounder+ for Havlat? You guys can keep him.