HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs better than last season? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=579774)

LesHabsRock 12-04-2008 10:11 AM

Habs better than last season?

After 24 games our Habs are 14-6-4 with 32 points

Last year, after 24 games, the Habs were 13-8-3 with 29 points

Last year the Habs followed that 13-8-3 record with 3 consecutive losses where they ended up 13-11-3 after 27 games.

I really don't think things are as bad as some make out as you can see the defensive game much improved due to their snake bitten offense thus far. Kudos to the coaching staff for making this adjustment. You can tell they're still learning the new defense-first system, but it has the making for something grand especially once the offense get's going. Don't fret folks. The Habs are doing just fine. They have 3 wins in their last 4 games and can close to within 4 points of the East leading Rangers with a win tonight. Not too shabby.

EDIT: As a matter of fact the 2007-08 edition of the Habs followed that 13-8-3 record with losing 5 of their next 6 games (2 in a shootout). They ended up 14-11-5 after 30 games for 33 points. In 3 of those losses they were blown out 4-0 to New Jersey, 4-1 to Detroit, and 5-1 to Carolina.

kostitsyn1489 12-04-2008 10:12 AM

But but but but!! We finished first, this year we arent first we suck.

LesHabsRock 12-04-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 16641736)
But but but but!! We finished first, this year we arent first we suck.

You said it. "We FINISHED first". We never started off that way. Also, finishing first doesn't necessarily translate to Stanley Cup victories. I'd sooner finish 4th or 5th and make it to the finals than finish first only to have a second round exit.

Jigger77 12-04-2008 10:35 AM

We are last year's powerplay away from being a powerhouse.

Better defensive overall play, better PK, better goaltending, much better 5 on 5.

Now if the PP can ever get going we're all set.

number 11 12-04-2008 10:38 AM

the problem is the giant expectations on the team to win every game this year. as soon as the power play starts clicking (and carbo pulls his head out of his ass and keeps andrei on the point), we'll start putting together winning streaks.

CH4 12-04-2008 10:41 AM

fire Carbo, he doesn't do the job :sarcasm:

I think yes the habs are better then last year.

kostitsyn1489 12-04-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesHabsRock (Post 16642024)
You said it. "We FINISHED first". We never started off that way. Also, finishing first doesn't necessarily translate to Stanley Cup victories. I'd sooner finish 4th or 5th and make it to the finals than finish first only to have a second round exit.

My post was sarcastic.

Habs 4 Life 12-04-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 16642102)
the problem is the giant expectations on the team to win every game this year. as soon as the power play starts clicking (and carbo pulls his head out of his ass and keeps andrei on the point), we'll start putting together winning streaks.

Exactly.Before the season even started,we will win the division,win the conference,represent the Eastern Conference in the finals and of course win the Stanley Cup

2112 12-04-2008 10:48 AM

Every shift that the Habs don't score is a dissapointment :sarcasm:

LesHabsRock 12-04-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 16642179)
My post was sarcastic.

sarcasm noted ;)

Habs 4 Life 12-04-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2112 (Post 16642207)
Every shift that the Habs don't score is a dissapointment :sarcasm:

A real dissapointment is every shift Latendresse makes:D

Ra 12-04-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by number9 (Post 16642102)

The problem is also the fact that the OP is using his brain, which a fan is not expected to do.

The team should peak later this year, which is what we want in the end. I would be more worried if we were playing playoffs hockey in December

Kriss E 12-04-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LesHabsRock (Post 16641720)
After 24 games our Habs are 14-6-4 with 32 points

Last year, after 24 games, the Habs were 13-8-3 with 29 points

Last year the Habs followed that 13-8-3 record with 3 consecutive losses where they ended up 13-11-3 after 27 games.

I really don't think things are as bad as some make out as you can see the defensive game much improved due to their snake bitten offense thus far. Kudos to the coaching staff for making this adjustment. You can tell they're still learning the new defense-first system, but it has the making for something grand especially once the offense get's going. Don't fret folks. The Habs are doing just fine. They have 3 wins in their last 4 games and can close to within 4 points of the East leading Rangers with a win tonight. Not too shabby.

EDIT: As a matter of fact the 2007-08 edition of the Habs followed that 13-8-3 record with losing 5 of their next 6 games (2 in a shootout). They ended up 14-11-5 after 30 games for 33 points. In 3 of those losses they were blown out 4-0 to New Jersey, 4-1 to Detroit, and 5-1 to Carolina.

That's good, but the expectations at similar times last year weren't the same. That adds a little extra pressure on a good number of our players.
Wasn't it around that time as well that Huet was injured or he and Price weren't playing that well??..

We can't possibly say we're doing bad, I think a lot of fans just whine a whole lot. That being said, we have the talent on this team to be playing much better which is what most people are disappointed with.

Lats/S.Kost/Plek/Kovy/Higgins/A.Kost (although he's playing much better) are not playing like people expected them too and our bread and butter last season has completely disappeared.
Sure we're still winning, but nothing convincing.

Last season we really unblocked around X-Mas time, which is also when S.Kost came about and A.Kost picked up his game big time. Everybody really got into their groove around the same time.

Hopefully we'll do the same this year.

MTL-rules 12-04-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra (Post 16642277)
The problem is also the fact that the OP is using his brain, which a fan is not expected to do.

The team should peak later this year, which is what we want in the end. I would be more worried if we were playing playoffs hockey in December

So you must be quite happy about the Bruins's play

LesHabsRock 12-04-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 16643806)
That's good, but the expectations at similar times last year weren't the same. That adds a little extra pressure on a good number of our players.Wasn't it around that time as well that Huet was injured or he and Price weren't playing that well??..

We can't possibly say we're doing bad, I think a lot of fans just whine a whole lot. That being said, we have the talent on this team to be playing much better which is what most people are disappointed with.

Lats/S.Kost/Plek/Kovy/Higgins/A.Kost (although he's playing much better) are not playing like people expected them too and our bread and butter last season has completely disappeared.
Sure we're still winning, but nothing convincing.

Last season we really unblocked around X-Mas time, which is also when S.Kost came about and A.Kost picked up his game big time. Everybody really got into their groove around the same time.

Hopefully we'll do the same this year.

You said it. The 2008-09 edition of the Habs are playing with extra pressure and higher expectations. This makes their record even more astounding this year. All those expectations and pressure and they're still better than last year. Andrei Kostitsyn is on fire as of late, so some players are beginning to pick it up a bit. For all intents and purposes Kovalev does have 18 points in 24 games. He's a couple of multi-point games from being a point per game player. It's hardly the 48 point season he had two years ago.

speed11 12-04-2008 12:47 PM

let's not forget, Montreal went on an absolute tear last year from January on for a 28-12-3 record.

Ozymandias 12-04-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL-rules (Post 16643868)
So you must be quite happy about the Bruins's play

Me too. :naughty:

And who knows, Julien might just lose the lockeroom like he did two times before.

Jamais deux sans trwah!

Iwishihadacup 12-04-2008 12:49 PM

On paper we are a LOT better

But the injury to komi, the Kovalev counterperformance and the slow start of almost every forward not named Koivu or tanguay does that we still need to pick our ***** in order to win

Ross MacLochness 12-04-2008 12:51 PM

I think it's amazing that we are not reliant on the powerplay anymore. In the playoffs it went ice cold and we didn't know what to do. That said, it's got to get better. You cannot waste opportunities like that in the playoffs.

If Bob gets another defenceman I'd have tons of confidence in this team.

LesHabsRock 12-04-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speed11 (Post 16644026)
let's not forget, Montreal went on an absolute tear last year from January on for a 28-12-3 record.

Yes, including winning 6 of their last 7 games of the season to snatch first place in the East from the Pens. I get a sense the Habs won't need that "tear" this year as they will have a more sustained and consistent record all year round. With a better first half the season this year they won't need that second half run. If they do have a huge run in the second half then it's just icing on the cake. I'm confident the Habs will have another 100 point season this year.

Habsterix* 12-04-2008 03:18 PM

Although I don't think this team has reached its peak when it comes to execution and consistency, I still believe that this team is better than last year's. The beauty of it is that I think that Gainey is looking at making it even better, otherwise he wouldn't have made the trip to California to see Sundin.

LesHabsRock 12-14-2008 08:48 PM

After 29 games we see the Habs of 2008-09 with 37 pts which is 5 points better than last year after 29 games.

2008-2009 Habs record after 29 games is 16-8-5 37 pts

2007-2008 Habs record after 29 games was 14-11-4 32 pts

la25ecoupe 12-14-2008 08:56 PM

It's not the same team, can't compare.

shredder11 12-14-2008 08:56 PM

Very good thread!!!
Im not to worried about there recent woes.
they will bounce back:)

Lebeau47 12-14-2008 08:58 PM

funny last year we couldnt score 5 on 5

this year we cant score on pp

its much harder to score 5 on 5 then on pp

once the pp gets rolling, which will only happen when they start using new plays, with or without streit & souray, if you use the same pp strategy for 2 years and some change, i mean eventually teams are gonna catch on, switch it up and well be the powerhouse we are on paper

when all is said and done, im happy with where we are, im happy with kovy, im happy with tender, confused about sergei

the only person im waiting for is pleks, and hell come around hes shown sparks just gotta break that mental barrier which he will