HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The 2nd pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=57996)

RaTcine 03-03-2004 01:01 PM

The 2nd pick

The 2nd pick in the trade is conditionnal...
If the Habs don't sign Kovalev at the end of the playoffs, the Rangers will give back a conditionnal pick to the Habs...I don't know if it's a second rounder, but if so...the trade would be Balej vs Kovalev...that's not bad at all!!

If we sign him Balej + 2nd is not a lot for a player like Kovy!

loudi94 03-03-2004 01:04 PM

I always thought it was the team that signs him has to give up the pick. It's confusing to say the least.

Zednik 03-03-2004 01:05 PM

the Rangers won't give any pick to the Habs... if Kovalev doesn't re-sign, Montreal will receive a compensatory pick from the league (added to the draft).

Dutchy 03-03-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaTcine
If the Habs don't sign Kovalev at the end of the playoffs, the Rangers will give back a conditionnal pick to the Habs...I don't know if it's a second rounder, but if so...the trade would be Balej vs Kovalev...that's not bad at all!!

If we sign him Balej + 2nd is not a lot for a player like Kovy!

Source?

merlin 03-03-2004 01:17 PM

I didn't see that anywhere. If we don't sign Kovalev we get our second back? If this is true, then the deal is really good as we would still get a conpensatory pick since Montreal would loose a a player to free agency. BG would have pulled a fast on NY. The rental becomes Kovalev + second round compensatory pick for Balej. Too good to be true if you ask me.

Can anybody confirm (with a link) that we don't give our second pick if we don't sign Kovalev?

RaTcine 03-03-2004 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednik
the Rangers won't give any pick to the Habs... if Kovalev doesn't re-sign, Montreal will receive a compensatory pick from the league (added to the draft).

Ah...ok thank you I didnt know that was possible...

do you know the compensatory pick will be in which round

Brett38 03-03-2004 01:18 PM

I think we still have two 3rd round picks and two 4rth round picks courtesy of the Hackett/San Jose/Boston deal and the Berezin to Chicago deal some time ago. Not to mention we still have our 1st round pick. I think giving up our second round pick was okay.

Boutmania 03-03-2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaTcine
If the Habs don't sign Kovalev at the end of the playoffs, the Rangers will give back a conditionnal pick to the Habs..

Well, the Draft is before the 1st July where free agents season start so it doesn't make sense to get that pick after the draft...

Habs4ever 03-03-2004 02:00 PM

We receive draft pick in Next Draft

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boutmania
Well, the Draft is before the 1st July where free agents season start so it doesn't make sense to get that pick after the draft...

If we lose Kovalev in free agency!!

Team_Spirit 03-03-2004 02:13 PM

source ?

All-Star 03-03-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boutmania

The 2005 draft... the 2004 draft is shallow anyway. we won't miss the almost 50th pick...

Bégin is the bestest* 03-03-2004 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin
I didn't see that anywhere. If we don't sign Kovalev we get our second back? If this is true, then the deal is really good as we would still get a conpensatory pick since Montreal would loose a a player to free agency. BG would have pulled a fast on NY. The rental becomes Kovalev + second round compensatory pick for Balej. Too good to be true if you ask me.

Can anybody confirm (with a link) that we don't give our second pick if we don't sign Kovalev?

i didn't readed a lot about it but i don't think we get it back cuz we traded the 2nd round draft pick for the 2004 draft and if kovalev signs with another team, it will be in july, a week after the draft, so the habs would get a compensatory pick at the 2005 draft.