HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fan 590 reports Leafs ,Rangers in heavy negotiations (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=58024)

Timmer 03-03-2004 02:15 PM

Fan 590 reports Leafs ,Rangers in heavy negotiations

Hey guys, the Fan 590 in Toronto is suggesting that the Leafs & rangers are in heavy negotiations for Leetch.

They say that the asking price is 1 non-roster player and 2 picks.

Given Gonchar value would seem to be a 2nd tier prospect and lower picks than Boston gave up for Gonchar, IMO

take it for what it is worth.........

Thoughts?

Barnaby 03-03-2004 02:18 PM

If I'm Sather I balk unless at least one of Carlo or Stajan are included as well as a 1st rounder.

Unless Sather gets a ridiculous take it or leave it offer I wait and let the bidding war begin.

If you were to do it sooner though, maybe you could trade Poti away as a consolation prize?

Bluenote13 03-03-2004 02:21 PM

The only prospects the Leafs have to offer are Steen & Coliacovo. If it's anyone else I'd expect TWO first rounders along with whatever prospect is being mentioned in the talks.

Peter Griffin 03-03-2004 02:26 PM

Colaiacovo and a 2nd would likely be enough to land Leetch. Or maybe Brendan Bell and a 1st? Less then what Gonchar went for anyway...

Bluenote13 03-03-2004 02:31 PM

Ok, the Gonchar trade comparisons have to stop.

Do the Ranger's HAVE TO deal Leetch, like the Caps HAD TO deal Gonchar? NO, so the trade is not a 'desperation' deal.

Does Gonchar have a Conn Smythe on his resume? Yes, 94 was ten years ago, but look at Leetch's play lately, your telling me he still can't make a difference?

Like I said, a top notch prospect and a 1st, or a 2nd tier prospect plus two firsts.

leafaholix* 03-03-2004 02:34 PM

lol.

Atleast it's nice to see Leetch is still playing well.

Colaiacovo, Steen, or Stajan? :joker:

Barnaby 03-03-2004 02:35 PM

Leetch is the better player. No question.

Gonchar's advantage is that he's 30 while Leetch is 36, but if you want to win now Leetch is definately the better option. Not to mention you now have 4-5 legitimate teams looking to land a guy like Leetch. Now that Gonchar is gone, its Leetch or bust. If he goes to the Leafs I expect Carlo being the top prospect coming back along with at least a 1st and 2nd.

Timmer 03-03-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Leetch is the better player. No question.

Gonchar's advantage is that he's 30 while Leetch is 36, but if you want to win now Leetch is definately the better option. Not to mention you now have 4-5 legitimate teams looking to land a guy like Leetch. Now that Gonchar is gone, its Leetch or bust. If he goes to the Leafs I expect Carlo being the top prospect coming back along with at least a 1st and 2nd.

I'm pretty confident in saying that JFJ won't bite on that!

Barnaby 03-03-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
lol.

You just keep laughing to a 2nd round loss...

Kovalev is in the last year of a contract, has played HORRIBLE this year, and plays a position with more then a few legitimate options. He got a 2nd and a quality prospect.

Leetch is without a doubt worth considerably more then Kovalev.

Bluenote13 03-03-2004 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
lol.

You're right, maybe you guys should just call up Phil Housley or Glen Wesley, your playoff heroes from the past ;)

Barnaby 03-03-2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmer
I'm pretty confident in saying that JFJ won't bite on that!

Fine, maybe Dallas, Colorado, Detroit, STL, or Philly will.

Edge 03-03-2004 02:41 PM

bottom line is leetch is still in the top 5 and once he gets on a contending team he proves that, he proves his worth in that playoffs.

this isnt owen nolan, a guy who throughout his career has been hit or miss.

leetch is a a guy you need in the playoffs to win, and any team who gets him, dallas, the avs or the leafs {or a dark horse like vancouver} automatically goes up a notch as a contender.

you dont wanna pay the price, that is fine, the rangers arent desperate to trade him and you'll see no broken hearts about him continuing to play for the rangers.

we're talking about brian leetch here, not tom poti or greg devries.

Fish 03-03-2004 02:41 PM

The price that will be paid will be a subject of supply and demand not as a result of what another player may have been dealt with. If a team feels they need to have a Leetch type player on their team to get them the cup, then they'll make the deal appropriately, but bidding against other teams in the same position.

If Philadelphia and Toronto are the teams interested, then they also might have an interest it preventing the other team from getting him.

L.I.RangerFan 03-03-2004 02:45 PM

This was posted by swflyers8 on the trade rumors board:

According to a guy that posts at flyerphans site, he is hearing this deal:

TO PHI: Leetch & Barnaby, picks
TO NYR: Richards, Sharp, Radio, picks

Then another "source" said it was this:

To TOR: Leetch
To NYR: Antropov & 1st rd

As to credibility, the guy who relayed the NYR trade got the Zhamnov & Burke trades right. He wasn't wrong. He is a freelance writer in the NHL. Take it for what it is, a rumor.

Thought everyone would want to know

Peter Griffin 03-03-2004 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
leetch is a a guy you need in the playoffs to win, and any team who gets him, dallas, the avs or the leafs {or a dark horse like vancouver} automatically goes up a notch as a contender.

Vancouver has no interest in Brian Leetch and his $6 mil salary for next season. Brian Burke has stated that he has 0 interest in acquiring Leetch, Burke rarely says flat out he has no interest, he'll usually respond with a "no comment" if he has some interest.

Barnaby 03-03-2004 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
The price that will be paid will be a subject of supply and demand not as a result of what another player may have been dealt with. If a team feels they need to have a Leetch type player on their team to get them the cup, then they'll make the deal appropriately, but bidding against other teams in the same position.

If Philadelphia and Toronto are the teams interested, then they also might have an interest it preventing the other team from getting him.

Absolutely. There are alot of other factors that go into a trade. Previous deals usually serve as a loose guideline, but they are never completely accurate. I know I would rather have Leetch then Gonchar in the playoffs, and Im sure win-now teams such as a Colorado or Toronto see Leetch's big-game talent. Now that Gonchar is gone there is also no "other option." Keeping him away from others is another factor. Maybe we keep Leetch or maybe we do really well moving him, and give him a shot to win again. I certainly wont be upset if Leetch stays a Ranger.

Barnaby 03-03-2004 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish

Absolutely. There are alot of other factors that go into a trade. Previous deals usually serve as a loose guideline, but they are never completely accurate. I know I would rather have Leetch then Gonchar in the playoffs, and Im sure win-now teams such as a Colorado or Toronto see Leetch's big-game talent. Now that Gonchar is gone there is also no "other option." Keeping him away from others is another factor. Maybe we keep Leetch or maybe we do really well moving him, and give him a shot to win again. I certainly wont be upset if Leetch stays a Ranger.

Melrose_Jr. 03-03-2004 02:51 PM

Unlike Gonchar, Leetch has a contract for next year. That's worth something.

Leafs fans can mock us all they want, but Bell and non 1st rounder just isn't enough incentive to pry Leetch outta here. It's going to be an offer of epic proportions from Toronto or somewhere else, or Brian stays and EVERYONE is happy.

Edge 03-03-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Vancouver has no interest in Brian Leetch and his $6 mil salary for next season. Brian Burke has stated that he has 0 interest in acquiring Leetch, Burke rarely says flat out he has no interest, he'll usually respond with a "no comment" if he has some interest.

you might be interested to know that they've had more than just a few casual conversations. I agree Vancouver is highly unlikely to get him, but i know they've talked about him.

its kinda a shame, he'd look very nice on a team with Jovo and Ohlund.

Slewfoot 03-03-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin

Maybe Burke doesn't remember the '94 finals if he has 0 interest in Leetch ??

kazo 03-03-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Unlike Gonchar, Leetch has a contract for next year. That's worth something.

Leafs fans can mock us all they want, but Bell and non 1st rounder just isn't enough incentive to pry Leetch outta here. It's going to be an offer of epic proportions from Toronto or somewhere else, or Brian stays and EVERYONE is happy.

I don't know about "epic" proportions but it should be for a little more than they would normally get.

With all the smoke being generated it certainly looks like a deal is probably going to happen.

Edge 03-03-2004 03:16 PM

which of course means he isnt going anywhere =)

killer9318 03-03-2004 03:27 PM

i can see a deal like this happening

to the leafs:

leetch

to the rangers:

hedin/bell/white/kondratiev,2nd,3rd

Bluenote13 03-03-2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkboots

to the leafs:

leetch

to the rangers:

Interesting.

Scrap the 2nd & 3rd, throw in a first & i'll give ya Lindros as well. ;)

Killer 93 03-03-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkboots

to the leafs:

leetch

to the rangers:

Dream on.