HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   John Slaney (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=58167)

Hollywood 03-03-2004 08:41 PM

John Slaney

Can someone tell me why John Slaney hasn't been up with the Big Club? He looked great tonight against the Preds playing with Pitkanen. The guy is smooth as silk and has plenty of NHL experience. On top of that, he is the career leading goal scorer in the AHL, despite being only 32 years old. He could've helped out earlier in the year when they ran into injury trouble but Bobby Clarke had a nervous breakdown and started trading away the future. What's the problem here?

Brad* 03-03-2004 08:47 PM

He's not good enough to be a full-time NHL player, unless of course he's going to be your 6th defenseman. In that role, he wouldn't be that effective anyway.

GKJ 03-03-2004 09:16 PM

he can't play defense.

Big McLargehuge 03-03-2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
He's not good enough to be a full-time NHL player, unless of course he's going to be your 6th defenseman. In that role, he wouldn't be that effective anyway.

I wouldn't even call him an 8th defenseman.

He's an amazing AHLer who just can't play in the NHL. Back when he was in the Pens organization it was like seeing two completely different players watching him in Wilkes-Barre and in Pittsburgh.

Gert B Frobe 03-03-2004 10:19 PM

He could probably play 6th man fairly well for some of the lesser teams in the league. IMO - Played well tonight...

Toonces 03-03-2004 10:21 PM

Slaney would be better off as a forward since his defensive game is so poor. The guy has the offensive skills, but that's just not enough for the NHL. He also is not very big, which really hurts at the NHL level, and especially for a defenseman. He can get away with not being very big in the AHL.

Hollywood 03-07-2004 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonces
Slaney would be better off as a forward since his defensive game is so poor. The guy has the offensive skills, but that's just not enough for the NHL. He also is not very big, which really hurts at the NHL level, and especially for a defenseman. He can get away with not being very big in the AHL.

Ever hear of Boullion on Montreal. He must be about 5"8", which is smaller than Slaney. I feel that any player who can win defenceman of the year in the AHL deserves a shot on some team and why not Philly. We've always had big slow defenceman and where has it gotten us.... Slaney is a wizard on the PP and can contribute 5 on 5 and also on PK, if given the opportunity. Just my opinion, we need a change and he may not be the answer but it could be a start...

Brad* 03-07-2004 05:54 PM

He's played over 200 games at the NHL level, there is probably a reason why he hasn't stuck yet.

Toonces 03-07-2004 06:15 PM

I'm not just talking about his height. He's physically "small". He's not strong enough to handle much of anybody, and his offensive game isn't good enough to balance out his defensive liability.

Sami Kapanen is a small player too, but he's extremely strong which is why he can play this game.

I have heard of Francis Bouillon, and I think your about to make my point actually. Slaney had four inches on him yet Bouillon out weighs him. Bouillon has almost as tough a time with the forwards as Slaney does. If Bouillon was here he'd be a Phantom too.

IceHot 03-07-2004 10:31 PM

RE:Slaney

I thought he played great defensively (tying up his man in the corners etc) and we know he's been great bringing the puck out of the zone and setting up the offense. By his performance thus far I say he'd be perfect to replace Therien on Markovs shifts, with Markov coming back from suspension Slaney and him would make a nice Tandem with Therien out and since the rest of the DEf is coming back later this week we do not need any desperate moves.

anonymous* 03-08-2004 06:10 AM

He's the answer on D like Niitymaki is the answer in net. Draw your own conclusions, but I think a couple of good games don't make a career. Slaney hasn't really had a good game yet, good moments yes.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-08-2004 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous
He's the answer on D like Niitymaki is the answer in net. Draw your own conclusions, but I think a couple of good games don't make a career. Slaney hasn't really had a good game yet, good moments yes.

He was "just ok" vs the Caps....just like playing an AHL team with a few better players on his side...doesn't cut it for a regular NHL defenseman. I would like to get another look at him though. It was hard to concentrate on just Slaney's screw ups when there was so much else to swear at on Saturday. At least with Nitty, we can use the word "Potential."