HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Butch Bouchard number 3 to be retired? (Petition) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=582263)

yoteshot 12-11-2008 09:46 AM

Butch Bouchard number 3 to be retired? (Petition)

Ron Fournier talked about Emile "Butch" Bouchard being retired as a deserved honour. A petition is online for that to happen. The site is in French, but if you are interrested, I think he really deserves it.

He was qualified as the best defenseman of the modern era by Maurice Richard.

http://www.le3.ca/

Many hockey personnalities have signed it so it is not a BS petition.

Ado* 12-11-2008 09:51 AM

B-b-but what about O'byrne?

otto bond 12-11-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovalev Warrior (Post 16755285)
Ron Fournier talked about Emile "Butch" Bouchard being retired as a deserved honour. A petition is online for that to happen. The site is in French, but if you are interrested, I think he really deserves it.

He was qualified as the best defenseman of the modern era by Maurice Richard.

http://www.le3.ca/

Many hockey personnalities have signed it so it is not a BS petition.

I'm all in!

ChemiseBleuHonnete 12-11-2008 09:57 AM

this is ********... really ********.

Pax Macioretty 12-11-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 16755396)
this is ********... really ********.

yes it is, Ron Fournier said himself that he never even saw Butch Bouchard play, not even 1 game, he's just and old man with nothing to do with his spare time. Are we supose to retire every number of players that were good? It's rediculous, the man has beebn retired for over 60 years

kostitsyn1489 12-11-2008 10:11 AM

I want George Hainesworth number to be retired. First top notch goalie of the team!!

Nobody alive ever saw him play so i can say anything about him, get some newspaper stuff im sure Pit Lepine had some good words for him.

yoteshot 12-11-2008 10:22 AM

Because a player played too long ago, he can't be recognized as a great player now?

Phil Parent 12-11-2008 10:46 AM

A certain Kevin Lalonde is ruining it...

Russeltown 12-11-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 16755912)
A certain Kevin Lalonde is ruining it...

Would you please explain how and why?

Habs8517 12-11-2008 10:53 AM

ron fournier is a moron and a racist so his petition in his name will likely fail
dude bash gainey every single day on his radio show and you think the habs brass will listen to that ***** ?

Phil Parent 12-11-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeltown (Post 16755936)
Would you please explain how and why?

Hell, he signed about 50 times in a row...totally stuffing no?

Pascal 12-11-2008 11:02 AM

why are some people against retiring his number? From the comments I read from players who played with and against him, he seems to be worthy.

Habs Icing 12-11-2008 11:28 AM

If I had seen Butch play I would be a better judge. Since I never saw him play my signature is meaningless.

nilan30 12-11-2008 11:30 AM

People think if #3 is retired then O'Byrne will be kicked off the team. But I'm pretty sure #1422 is available, or, if he prefers #-42.2109.

Habs 4 Life 12-11-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 16756041)
Hell, he signed about 50 times in a row...totally stuffing no?

Send it to Bettman:sarcasm:

Habs 4 Life 12-11-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16756124)
why are some people against retiring his number? From the comments I read from players who played with and against him, he seems to be worthy.

I agree however it's up to Habs management to make that decision not Ron Fournier talking about it for the past 5 years.I just think he should let the Habs take care of it and drop the subject

wolfinhabsclothing 12-11-2008 11:40 AM

This is soon to be followed for petitions to retire Rod Langway and Kirk Muller's numbers.

Seriously, I never saw the guy play, but looking at his stats he seems to have been a very good defensive defenseman. However, I don't know if that qualifies him to be worthy of having his number retired.

I wonder if his name was Elmer Lach if this would be an issue..... oh, wait....

Clumsyhab 12-11-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 16756595)
I agree however it's up to Habs management to make that decision not Ron Fournier talking about it for the past 5 years.I just think he should let the Habs take care of it and drop the subject

I also agree. I like Ron but this is not his business. He's never seen Butch played and i bet 95% of those who signed didn't either. I'm starting to wonder if this would help Mr Bouchard or make it worst for him. Imagine if Habs management decides to put #3 to the rafter, that would be like they concede that Ron was right. "Trop, c'est comme pas assez"

rocketlives 12-11-2008 11:52 AM

Butch Bouchard and the great Habs teams of the forties were before my time. I however saw Butch play in the early fifties near the end of his career. Seeing that he was on the NHL first all-star team three times, that he was one of the Habs' greatest captain and that players like Gordie Howe and Ted Lindsay say his sweater should be up there, is enough for me to sign this petition.

The Montreal Canadiens had a great team in the forties which won the Stanley Cup twice. Durnan, their goaltender, won 6 Vezina trophys, the Rocket scored 50 goals in 50 games and the Punch Line was the best line in the league. It seems odd to me that Rocket Richard was the only player of that great team of the mid forties to have his number retired.

Kriss E 12-11-2008 12:55 PM

I'm so sick and tired to hear about this crap...
The man will get his jersey retired when/if The Habs decide to do so.

It's not an old hockey referee turned radio host crackhead that will make them retire it.

ToysInTheAttic 12-11-2008 01:49 PM

Much as I think Bouchard was a top notch stay at home defenceman and a good enforcer, Jonathon's pawning of Bouchard precludes him from having his number retired imo. Now Fergie, there is a guy who should have his number retired.

mcphee 12-11-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habhob (Post 16758241)

Much as I think Bouchard was a top notch stay at home defenceman and a good enforcer, Jonathon's pawning of Bouchard precludes him from having his number retired imo. Now Fergie, there is a guy who should have his number retired.

please tell me you're being sacrcastic Habhob, please.

If they were going to do it they would've done it and a petition won't have any effect.

Whitesnake 12-11-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habhob (Post 16758241)

We are talking about Pierre Bouchard's father here....Emile "Butch" Bouchard. Pierre is the one implicated in the Jonathan-Bouchard fight.

Gros Bill 12-11-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee (Post 16759031)
please tell me you're being sacrcastic Habhob, please.

If they were going to do it they would've done it and a petition won't have any effect.

That was my reaction to habnob's post, "please tell me you're kidding". But I tend to agree with you, I think Butch Bouchard's ship has sailed. With al the great teams we've had, a lot of players who would have been demi-gods elsewhere have been overlooked here. Also, where do you end ? After Butch, they'd want to retire JC Tremblay's number (same #3, BTW). Or Jacques Laperrière, Jacques Lemaire, Larry Hillman, etc.. Kinda cool, though, that a guy who last played 50 years ago still evokes passion.

ToysInTheAttic 12-11-2008 03:23 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm just dumb as a post. Forgot about the great one:shakehead.