HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   PGT: Cats 3, Flames 2 (SO) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=582921)

Noori 12-12-2008 11:39 PM

PGT: Cats 3, Flames 2 (SO)

Why was Bourque in the SO? Why not GlenX?

StreakingRed 12-12-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander (Post 16786136)
Why was Bourque in the SO? Why not GlenX?

I'm guessing because Bourque had 2 goals tonight and was one of our best players.

DBU 12-12-2008 11:42 PM

PGT: Cats 3, Flames 2 (SO)

Fire away?

Noori 12-12-2008 11:46 PM

Voted Bourque. Still don't have any idea why he was selected for the shootout, GlenX is our best finisher after Iggy/Cammy.

Poor Lizzy Humphrey :shakehead

StreakingRed 12-12-2008 11:47 PM

Damn, that SHG really stings right about now. Slow start to the period and Vokoun being his usual Flames killing self.

MVP to Rene Bourque.

DBU 12-12-2008 11:49 PM

I vote me, for my first PGT :)

No but seriously, I voted Bourque.

Lanny'sDaMan 12-12-2008 11:58 PM

Third Period
A return to solid defensive hockey. The Flames were solid in the neutral zone, denying any time and space to the Panthers. They also managed to create a good amount of offensive chances, but were unable to capitalize. There was certainly no shortage of shots on net. Miikka was also big and tall i9n net that frame, turning away more than a few chances to keep this game even.
The power play was light years better that period. They had excellent sustained pressure, very crisp passing and a lot of great shots on net. Alas they also had the usual tally of goals. Specifically zero, as when the golden chances arose the Flames decided to miss the net, or fan completely on the shot. Thankfully we have our penalty kill unit. This was again like skating face first into a brick wall for the Panthers as any shots that managed to trickle though to Miikka were shunted aside with a almost scornful like manner.
Moss was such a stud that period, both defensively and offensively. He was making all the plays you could ever hope to ask of him, with the notable exception of a goal. Bertuzzi was also playing so very well again this period, hitting and shooting. Too bad Vokoun is such a Flame Killer, as I thought Todd was gonna get his first in forever on that one timer. It was also very nice to see Phaneuf actually hitting the net with at least half his shots. Which is a huge improvement of his percentage as of late.

Overtime
The penalty Kill unit got to work near to right away when Lombardi got beat and hooked his man. Thankfully even with a 4 on 3 advantage the Panthers couldn’t get through Miikka as the PK did a great job of clearing the lanes and letting him see the shots.
The rest of the extra five minutes was filled with sustained Flames pressure, and another Rock em Sock em hit by Bourque. Nothing decided, as both Miikka and Vokoun denied everything.

Shootout
Cammy takes the first shot and rings it off of the goalpost. Story of the game for him right there. Next up Frolik took his shot and missed the net. Bourque came next and was easily denied by Vokoun. Kreps tried a nice backhand-forehand deke, but Miikka was more than ready for him. Jarome was next denied by Vokoun on an offside wrister. Last up was Weiss whoo slipped through Miikka’s Five Hole to win the game.

Overall Impressions
Not the best game we’ve seen from the Flames as of late. They just didn’t seem to really get that solid defensive game going all night. It almost seemed at times as if they were disinterested. When they played hard they easily dominated the Panthers, but when they didn’t more often than not they ran around in their own zone.
The Flames were beat tonight by a good goaltender and their own mistakes. To win games you have to stick with your game style and never waver from it. And the Flames wavered like a candle flame on a windy night. I expect a far superior level of play from this team and tonight was not up to par. Not by a long shot.

Three Stars By Me
1. Rene Bourque
2. Tomas Vokoun
3. David Moss

flamesfan12 12-13-2008 12:36 AM

Not a bad game by the flames. Bottom 2 lines continue to give a consistant effort game in and game out. Top 6 and the PP were bad tonight and were the reason we lost. So frustrating watching the PP all season. Just amazing how absolutely useless it can be at times. Really with the personnel we have there is no reason for it to be as bad as it is. Right now I'd like to see Bourque, Lombardi, Boyd, Glencross get some time on the PP. At the least maybe there work ethic and speed will rub off on the others. Iginla was bad tonight. Cammalleri wasn't great, Langkow continues to be invisible at times. Conroy wasn't creating anything on the first line. Thank God for our bottom 6.

Thought Bertuzzi looked much better tonight. Not the best play on the SH, but Gio has to be smarter. Dumb pass he tried to make. Bert is frustrated right now and it is showing. He really needs to get one. You could tell he wanted one tonight, he was shooting instead of passing.

A couple days off now and hopefully we can regroup and get back in the win column on Tuesday.

StreakingRed 12-13-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesfan12 (Post 16786813)
Thought Bertuzzi looked much better tonight. Not the best play on the SH, but Gio has to be smarter. Dumb pass he tried to make. Bert is frustrated right now and it is showing. He really needs to get one. You could tell he wanted one tonight, he was shooting instead of passing.

I would have liked to of seen Bertuzzi used on the shootout. He's got great hands and had he scored, it would have been a much needed boost to his confidence.

CanadianPantherFan 12-13-2008 12:50 AM

All I wanted was the one point. That play by Frolik in OT. to draw the penalty won the game because I believe the Flames were primed for an OT. winner. I also said Florida would win, if it went to a shootout.

Calgary played good,great great speed through the neutral zone,but far too many turnovers. Florida blocked ton of shots too.

Ragestreet 12-13-2008 02:24 AM

Keenan totally butchered the SO lines for this game. The Flames could've bagged this one up for a very easy W, considering that Florida is playing back2back games, but they didn't. BTW, is it me or are those Sportsnet guys extremely annoying? God, I hate those two.

serratedmuffin 12-13-2008 02:51 AM

looking at the florida lineup for the game, it could have been an AHL forward core we were playing against. Giving up a shortie like that is just brutal boneheaded play. Our powerplay is so inconsistent it's giving me whiplash. We let a point get away from us, but the depth on this team is very pleasing.

DBU 12-13-2008 02:54 AM

For the shootout:

Glencross
Phaneuf
Iginla

;)

Treliving The Dream 12-13-2008 03:05 AM

I thought forsure Keenan was gonna go with Glencross in the shootout. I would have gone with:

Glencross
Bertuzzi
Boyd

MVP goes to Bourque.

Hyack57 12-13-2008 01:20 PM

What was the actual attendance last night? Not paid attendance but those who made the game? It took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Signal Hill to Airdrie (3pm to 5:30pm)... traffic was horrid. I imagine the building was not a packed house due to weather.

Noori 12-13-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 16786170)
I'm guessing because Bourque had 2 goals tonight and was one of our best players.

???? Doesn't Keenan know Bourque has hands of stone?

puck_08 12-14-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_Am_Canadian (Post 16791127)
What was the actual attendance last night? Not paid attendance but those who made the game? It took me 2 1/2 hours to get from Signal Hill to Airdrie (3pm to 5:30pm)... traffic was horrid. I imagine the building was not a packed house due to weather.

The first period was probably only half full. Partway through the second it looked a lot more like a full house though. (I was there)