HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Prospect Info: What a pick Kristo is turning out to be! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=584765)

BulldogFever 12-18-2008 08:06 AM

What a pick Kristo is turning out to be!

Makes Team WJC at the ripe age of 18, USHL player of the week, 9th in league scoring. I think we stole one here!

Iwishihadacup 12-18-2008 08:07 AM

Nice... Nice... Nice....

I can't wait to see him in Hamilton

Jee 12-18-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogFever (Post 16867064)
I think we stole one here!

again?

I'm not even surprised!

Timmins' tha man!!

ReVeuF 12-18-2008 08:18 AM

But i look forward for the Habs to add more grit in the next draft, getting a Lucic type player would help the team a lot.

WeThreeKings 12-18-2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReVeuF (Post 16867159)
But i look forward for the Habs to add more grit in the next draft, getting a Lucic type player would help the team a lot.

Honestly I don't care if the team picks all big offensive centers this draft, as long as we get one out of the whole 7 rounds that pans out , I'm happy.

Habs 4 Life 12-18-2008 08:24 AM

That's great,im not surprised by the draft picks in the last couple of years,now hopefully someone can scout better in the NHL department for this team

nilan30 12-18-2008 08:58 AM

I dont think success at the junior or AHL level means a playeris a great pick. If that were the case, Corey Locke would be one of the Habs all time best picks. Lets wait and see what this guy does when he gets to the bigs before we anoint him the next Great One.

Mcfly11 12-18-2008 09:01 AM

Actually, he's tied for 14th in league scoring. Still not bad though. He has 5 points in the last 3 games.

Looking forward to seeing him at the WJ's

Iwishihadacup 12-18-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilan30 (Post 16867492)
I dont think success at the junior or AHL level means a playeris a great pick. If that were the case, Corey Locke would be one of the Habs all time best picks. Lets wait and see what this guy does when he gets to the bigs before we anoint him the next Great One.

we just say that so far... he looks like a solid player. The guy is a 18 year old and he made a really good team USA. He is currently top 10 scorer in his league and still have a long time before he hits anything related to pro hockey

Monctonscout 12-18-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReVeuF (Post 16867159)

That's what Stewart White and Conboy are for...and to a lesser extent Lats and Pacioretty.

Freaky Habs Fan 12-18-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Because of his intangibles, Kristo seems to be a good pick. I agree that we can't look only at stats, but with Kristo, you got a speedy feisty player who can put the puck in the net, not a slow and small talented forward like Locke.

Whitesnake 12-18-2008 09:05 AM

He does seem like a good pick. I love his skating but also the cocky attitude he has. He will get killed at some point with his taunting and all, still I choose to have a guy with an attitude and trying to tone it down a little than a guy who doesn't have any and trying to build one from him.....

But the only thing you need to change somebody's opinion about him is somebody picked later doing better.....And in our case.....if you don't want to hear all our great journalists who has seen sooooooo many junior prospects in action, just hope that Danick Paquette won't be able to do better....For whoever want to have a Milan Lucic type of player, Paquette was still available when we pick Kristo.....so not only we passed over a Q guy, but also passed over a guy that might have been able to do Lucic's job.....I'M personnaly not convince about Paquette's hockey sense and if he'll ever able to overcome his below average skating, but we'll see how he evolves..

Again, as good as Kristo is, just wish Paquette doesn't even become just as good...you'll never hear the end of it...

Mcfly11 12-18-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Well, Corey Locke was knocked for his skating from the get-go. I think Kristo is the opposite...skating is one of his best attributes. My concern with him was his physical play, but if he's putting points up in a relatively physical league, I think it's a good sign. That being said, you're right....we can't judge him based on stats from 20ish games in a junior league. That's why it'll be nice to see him in the world junior's.

playbedar 12-18-2008 09:16 AM

I like to see this guy skate. And he doesn't seem too easy to push around even with his little size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq3421PH0Eg

He kind of look like Martin St-Louis. Playing a great position game, very good speed, not big but hard to take down.

Timmins rule!

Corey 12-18-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 16867552)
He does seem like a good pick. I love his skating but also the cocky attitude he has. He will get killed at some point with his taunting and all, still I choose to have a guy with an attitude and trying to tone it down a little than a guy who doesn't have any and trying to build one from him.....

But the only thing you need to change somebody's opinion about him is somebody picked later doing better.....And in our case.....if you don't want to hear all our great journalists who has seen sooooooo many junior prospects in action, just hope that Danick Paquette won't be able to do better....For whoever want to have a Milan Lucic type of player, Paquette was still available when we pick Kristo.....so not only we passed over a Q guy, but also passed over a guy that might have been able to do Lucic's job.....I'M personnaly not convince about Paquette's hockey sense and if he'll ever able to overcome his below average skating, but we'll see how he evolves..

Again, as good as Kristo is, just wish Paquette doesn't even become just as good...you'll never hear the end of it...

It wouldn't trouble me, provided Kristo works out. Besides, there's a fair chance Paquette will never play in the NHL. If so, the fans who were pressing for Paquette would be as quiet as clams.

Maxpac 12-18-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 16867518)
That's what Stewart White and Conboy are for...and to a lesser extent Lats and Pacioretty.

And the little i saw of him, Kristo looks to be alot more then just gritty

montreal 12-18-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogFever (Post 16867064)
Makes Team WJC at the ripe age of 18, USHL player of the week, 9th in league scoring. I think we stole one here!

Timmins was really high on him before the draft from what I heard, so I'm not surprised that one of his picks is doing well. I'm glad he made the WJC team, even if he doesn't get much ice time, at least he's on the team and getting valuable experience.

Quote:

Agreed 100%, although I do place success at the AHL level over success at the junior level, you can't get carried away until we see them at the nhl level and even then it's still a work in progress.

The good thing with Kristo is that he's still in High School so he's still so young but already is racking up the international experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 16867552)
He does seem like a good pick. I love his skating but also the cocky attitude he has. He will get killed at some point with his taunting and all, still I choose to have a guy with an attitude and trying to tone it down a little than a guy who doesn't have any and trying to build one from him.

I suspect it will get worse next year when he heads to North Dakota, a team that seems to have a bad rep in the league for the way their players play. Granted they are easily one of the very best programs in the NCAA, I've seen a few of their games get out of hand with the cheap shots.

Belso 12-18-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playbedar (Post 16867658)
I like to see this guy skate. And he doesn't seem too easy to push around even with his little size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq3421PH0Eg

He kind of look like Martin St-Louis. Playing a great position game, very good speed, not big but hard to take down.

Timmins rule!

He looks more like a Saku to me...

Iwishihadacup 12-18-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 16867881)
I suspect it will get worse next year when he heads to North Dakota, a team that seems to have a bad rep in the league for the way their players play. Granted they are easily one of the very best programs in the NCAA, I've seen a few of their games get out of hand with the cheap shots.

IF he got a few good guys to protect him, I don't see why he couldn't take advantage of this. I saw the game he played when MacNillan hammered him a few times and he stood up anyway and played great. He looks like he is made from rubber ala gorges

Whitesnake 12-18-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup (Post 16867952)
IF he got a few good guys to protect him, I don't see why he couldn't take advantage of this. I saw the game he played when MacNillan hammered him a few times and he stood up anyway and played great. He looks like he is made from rubber ala gorges

MacWilliam vs Kristo....hum.....what's not to like....Leafs prospect vs Habs prospect. I saw that game too. Let just say that there was one hit that he didn't exactly bounced off MacWilliam, the guy caught him good. But he did play a good game nonetheless and wasn't stop by that hard hit.

montreal 12-18-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup (Post 16867952)

I haven't really paid attention to the team this year yet so I don't know who will be back or who won't.

Darz 12-18-2008 10:47 AM

In Timmins we Trust

Iwishihadacup 12-18-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 16868737)
In Timmins we Trust

Oh hell yeah!

couldn't have said it better

Mats NAslund 12-18-2008 10:55 AM

I'll be at the USA vs Czech game and I have tickets to both Semi finals at tis years world juniors...Can't wait to watch kristo and McDonough live!

Whitesnake 12-18-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mats NAslund (Post 16868843)
I'll be at the USA vs Czech game and I have tickets to both Semi finals at tis years world juniors...Can't wait to watch kristo and McDonough live!

I really hope Kristo will make a case for himself 'cause he seems to be labelled as the 13th forward out there.