HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   GDT: Preds at Pens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=58508)

SmokeyClause 03-04-2004 04:18 PM

GDT: Preds at Pens

Here's hoping we show up for this one. A spirited effort in Pittsburgh would do wonders for our playoff picture.

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 04:19 PM

for some reason, i'm terribly afraid of a floating game...we'll go down 2-0 early..rally back in the third to tie.

2-2, final.

jstreet 03-04-2004 04:31 PM

Im scared to death to make a prediction.

If we lose this game...

SmokeyClause 03-04-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
Im scared to death to make a prediction.

If we lose this game...

If we come out of this game with anything less than two points, I hope some heads roll. Now, not firings, but players who aren't playing up to par need to be benched. I'd love to see some players dangled out in trade rumors.

jstreet 03-04-2004 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
If we come out of this game with anything less than two points, I hope some heads roll. Now, not firings, but players who aren't playing up to par need to be benched. I'd love to see some players dangled out in trade rumors.

yeah I would love for that to happen as well., just dont think it will. Trotz has gone public saying that certain players (Legwand, Arkhipov, others) arent playing up to their potential or good enough., yet nothing changes. Still plenty of time before March 9th though.

DJ Spinoza 03-04-2004 05:01 PM

Well, the Pens have been playing well lately, maybe the best they've played all year (doesn't say much).

I'll be there tonight so I'm hoping for an entertaining game at least.

golfmade 03-04-2004 06:02 PM

Let's bury them.

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 06:40 PM

WOW, stevenson misses a WIDE open net.

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 06:41 PM

haha, but then...zidlicky scores!

1-0!

Plan 9 03-04-2004 06:44 PM

Man that guy is good.

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 06:48 PM

is anyone in the preds chat room?

Basher 03-04-2004 06:49 PM

Preds In-Game Chat

golfmade 03-04-2004 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade
Let's bury them.

So glad they're taking my advice to heart. :yo:

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 08:39 PM

this could turn out to be the least-deserved win in our history. we look AWFUL out there, and if not for the power play, we could be losing this game. i hope poile and trotz have their eyes open and realize how badly our defense is hurting without york.

Enoch 03-04-2004 08:48 PM

You know what, we are getting outworked pretty badly here....in fact, I'm pretty disapointed with the way things are going.

6 - 4 now. Eastwood got away with some interference, but the Pens deserved the goal. Kudos to the Pen announcers for being totally unbiased, and saying that Vokoun was definitely interfered with.

Make that 7 - 4 now. Nice goal there by David. I've been missing that.

dulzhok 03-04-2004 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
this could turn out to be the least-deserved win in our history. we look AWFUL out there, and if not for the power play, we could be losing this game. i hope poile and trotz have their eyes open and realize how badly our defense is hurting without york.

I definitely agree. Our defense has been HORRIBLE the last few games. We need a change. It's almost to the point that I think we won't make the playoffs with our current defense. Not only are they giving up chances they shouldn't, they're just getting physically dominated. We have no muscle. As the end of the season draws closer, teams are turning up the heat, and unfortunately, I don't know if our defenisve corps is up to the task.

Enoch 03-04-2004 09:03 PM

There really should have been a penalty on the Hutch hit. He got nailed well away from the puck, and was continually held there for a good 20 seconds. I 'm not surprised there was nothing called, as it was 8 - 4 and we were on our second straight 5 on 3 PP......but still....

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 09:14 PM

that was the most one-sided game we should have been lost i've ever seen. even eaton and timonen were rotten defensively. what's going on? i hate to say it, but we need to ante up, and it doesn't need to be a marginal upgrade like sutton, either. poile needs to do what it takes to snare someone like witt...or if edmonton falls out...jason smith.

dulzhok 03-04-2004 09:51 PM

Quote:

that was the most one-sided game we should have been lost i've ever seen. even eaton and timonen were rotten defensively. what's going on? i hate to say it, but we need to ante up, and it doesn't need to be a marginal upgrade like sutton, either. poile needs to do what it takes to snare someone like witt...or if edmonton falls out...jason smith.

\
We certainly need a player like that, but I'm not real optimistic about us being able to get one of the two. #1) I don't think Edmonton or Washington are looking to trade those guys at this point, #2) If they are, there are going to be a ton of teams lining up to get them, inflating their value through the roof. We'd have to give up A LOT to get them, #3) I'd don't think it'd be wise to give up A LOT for a 29 year old defenseman that has arbitration rights this summer. Their salaries next year could be in 3-4 million range.

With Sullivan, the asking price wasn't too high, so it could be justified going after him. With Smith or Witt, the asking price is sure to be extremely high.

Honeslty, the guy that I think would be most feasible would be Boris Mironov. I think he'd be extremely cheap (asset-wise) to acquire. He's plays lazy and unmotivated at times, but when he plays motivated, he's pretty darn good. Hopefully, a trade to a playoff team would provide him with the right motivation. It might be worth the risk.

hillbilly 03-04-2004 09:53 PM

There was a scrum after the game but I'm not sure if any punches were thrown. Probably related to the Hutchinson hit

SmokeyClause 03-04-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Honeslty, the guy that I think would be most feasible would be Boris Mironov. I think he'd be extremely cheap (asset-wise) to acquire. He's plays lazy and unmotivated at times, but when he plays motivated, he's pretty darn good. Hopefully, a trade to a playoff team would provide him with the right motivation. It might be worth the risk.

I would agree with this. I'm not ready to start throwing top notch picks/prospects when we might just sneak in anyways. I'd rather take a small risk and some Dman that's just not playing up to par and then hope he turns it around. If he doesn't, you only lost around a 5th rounder or so.

dulzhok 03-04-2004 10:00 PM

Another defenseman I forgot about would be Alex Zhitnik.

Here's an article about defenseman that maybe on the move:
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=74964

Zhitnik would still probably cost a pretty penny, but I think it'd definitely be less than Smith or Witt. He's a UFA after this year. Maybe Arkhipov+ for Zhitnik and Curtis Brown. Just an idea.

DontCallPlayersStuds 03-04-2004 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok
Another defenseman I forgot about would be Alex Zhitnik.

Here's an article about defenseman that maybe on the move:
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=74964

Zhitnik would still probably cost a pretty penny, but I think it'd definitely be less than Smith or Witt. He's a UFA after this year. Maybe Arkhipov+ for Zhitnik and Curtis Brown. Just an idea.

i personally think zhitnik would cost more than witt, less than smith...but...he's not really what we need. he's less D, more O. Jay McKee would be a better acquisition from the Sabres.

dulzhok 03-04-2004 10:12 PM

Quote:

i personally think zhitnik would cost more than witt, less than smith...but...he's not really what we need. he's less D, more O. Jay McKee would be a better acquisition from the Sabres.

I can't say that I've seen a lot of Zhitnik lately. But I just remember him in the playoffs in 1999, he was incredible. A 2-way force. He definitely has some hitting ability, and his transition game is very solid. I do think Zhitnik is one of those guys that's rather inconsistent, but again, a playoff run usually brings out the best in a guy like him. IMO, I think Witt would cost more though. Zhintink would purely be a rental. Witt just turned 29 and his salary is somewhat resonable (at least for now). And so many teams are looking for that protypical stay-at-home hard hitting defenseman.

I really bet that Poile/Leipold wished they didn't trade Skrastins right now. UGGGGG. We could really use him.

CNote 03-04-2004 10:30 PM

wooooooo nelly!!

Nashville 12:26, Martin Erat 13 (PP) (Dan Hamhuis, Andreas Johansson)
Nashville 1:05, Dan Hamhuis 6 (Scott Walker, Steve Sullivan)
Nashville 3:13, Adam Hall 8 (pp) (Dan Hamhuis, David Legwand)
Nashville 12:07, David Legwand 14 (Scott Walker, Dan Hamhuis)
Nashville 18:47, Adam Hall 9 (pp) (Dan Hamhuis, Andrew Hutchinson)

-dutch-