HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   barefoot+skates=feet stink? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=585159)

dude92 12-18-2008 11:34 PM

barefoot+skates=feet stink?

ok guys what do you do? I used to wear thin socks, soccer ones and my feet still smelled but not that bad. Now I started barefoot and the smell is way too bad. yet I hear from other guys barefoot is the way to go. what do the pros do or any of you guys?

Ragss 12-19-2008 04:23 AM

Maybe get some anti-bacterial insoles? Like superfeet? Why are you going sockless anyways?

Phoenix 12-19-2008 06:53 AM

I wear thin socks and my skates are surprisingly fairly odourless. My gloves and elbow pads top the smelliness pile.

Whether that's anything to do with sweat/skin/gear contact i'm not sure.

NYRSinceBirth 12-19-2008 07:22 AM

I wear NB Vapor socks and my skates don't smell. Granted I only play 1-2 a week tops, but make sure you air out the skates completely after every use (unlace a few eyelets, pull out the tongue, remove soles, hang upside down).

Muttley* 12-19-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dude92 (Post 16886789)
ok guys what do you do? I used to wear thin socks, soccer ones and my feet still smelled but not that bad. Now I started barefoot and the smell is way too bad. yet I hear from other guys barefoot is the way to go. what do the pros do or any of you guys?

It's all a matter of how you feel. If you like and prefer the feeling of being barfeoot, go for it.

Besides, many people I encounter in a dressing room already have plenty of nasty, stinky equipment anyway, so what's one more smell?

Not keeping your skates in a bag and letting them dry in the outside hockey bag air when you are not skating is probably your best bet. Febreeze probably wouldn't hurt either.

If I remember correctly, Paul Coffey skated barefoot, but I have no idea what he did for the smell. But seeing what an awesome player he was, I'm sure he could care less.

noobman 12-19-2008 01:27 PM

I just wear regular socks, and they've never really bothered me.

Riverboat Gambler 12-19-2008 01:38 PM

I always preferred bare foot. It's a matter of personal preference. I don't think there is a proven way to go.

Hockey equipment stinks in general... so what if your skates stink. After they dry out they either stay in a locker or go in a bag.

Schenn Him 12-19-2008 03:24 PM

I always went barefoot in my skates, and they always smelled terrible. I had lots of teammates who wore socks and had terrible smelling skates too though.

Some people's feet just stink. ;)

cptjeff 12-19-2008 04:35 PM

Socks really help the odor. People don't skate barefoot to control odor, it makes it much, much worse because all of your sweat is going directly into the skate rather then being absorbed by a sock.

People skate barefoot because they like the feel better. A lot of people swear it makes them better skaters, but that's really BS. It makes some people feel better when they skate. If you have no problems with skating with socks, I would say don't bother, especially if you notice and dislike the smell.

Rickety Cricket 12-19-2008 04:55 PM

I go barefoot and my skates and feet smell terrible

wildebeest 12-19-2008 05:05 PM

Count me in the sockless and stinky category.

Stefan It Up 12-19-2008 05:23 PM

My toes freeze even with socks on. How do you pull off barefoot?

rye&ginger 12-19-2008 07:50 PM

Letting them air out is key, and dry. The bacteria that causes the stink likes it wet in stale air.

vivianmb 12-19-2008 08:37 PM

i dont wear socks. but my skates don't smell too bad because i remove the sole and hang them over the de-humidifier after each and every game.

iamjs 12-20-2008 10:53 AM

Did it one season, never again.

RaoulDuke2k 12-20-2008 11:15 AM

Went barefoot once and my feet were cold as hell - even a thin sock gives some insulation and helps with odor.

forbs02 12-22-2008 11:14 AM

Be kind to your skate sharpener, wear socks.

Rickety Cricket 12-22-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbs02 (Post 16941046)
Be kind to your skate sharpener, wear socks.

What if you sharpen your own skates?

cptjeff 12-22-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy (Post 16941299)
What if you sharpen your own skates?

Be kind to yourself.

MikeD 12-22-2008 01:54 PM

again, 3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Mist the inside of the skates and other equipment after each use and hang dry as you would normally. For removing already bad stink you will have to mist heavily and let dry, repeat and by the third treatment you should find the smell pretty much gone.

xeric716x 12-22-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD (Post 16943239)
again, 3 parts water to 1 part isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Mist the inside of the skates and other equipment after each use and hang dry as you would normally. For removing already bad stink you will have to mist heavily and let dry, repeat and by the third treatment you should find the smell pretty much gone.

i skate barefoot and use what Mike has been saying since ive joined HF and its works great.

IanJebus 12-23-2008 12:08 PM

its so bad for you to go barefoot
do you like gang green? because thats what you can get. I used to work in a LHS and its always been recommended to wear thin socks
try the brand "Fox river hockey socks". they are amazing

Wooty 12-23-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanJebus (Post 16957333)
its so bad for you to go barefoot
do you like gang green? because thats what you can get. I used to work in a LHS and its always been recommended to wear thin socks
try the brand "Fox river hockey socks". they are amazing

Gangrene is a disorder of the circulatory system. Wearing socks or not will have nothing to do with it.

The smell is bacteria. If you control the bacteria, you of course control the smell. The bacteria come from your sweat.

Most "thin" socks don't hold the sweat in and they just pass right through into the skate material. That is what they are designed to do. They will actually cause more smell.

Cotton socks will absorb and hold onto the sweat. They are less comfortable but should pull the sweat out with your feet.

Some skates hold onto the moisture more then others. If you air your skates out totally, you should not have to many odor problems. You really need to focus on destroying the bacteria.

Your feet can smell with socks but most of us change socks very often so the bacteria doesn't build up.

Cool Beans Man 12-23-2008 10:48 PM

I used to sharpen skates at a pro shop and can tell you that you can definitely tell who wears socks with their skates and who doesn't. Definitely had some unpleasant moments with some of those pairs.

With that aside, and from what the owner of the store has told me, it is reccommended to wear socks. Aside from health reasons, going barefeet is actually bad for the sole of the skate itself. Health-wise, if you had cuts on your feet or anything like that, you could develop a staph infection and they can be really nasty. I would personally reccommend socks, but that's just me.

MikeD 12-24-2008 03:33 PM

Thats the great part about the Alcohol spray. Rubbing alcohol kills Staphylococcus aureus(MRSA) and other bacteria. Its cheap and easy to apply and need not be at 100% strength to do the job.

Its also a great preventive. Ever visit a nursing home or emergency room/ hospital, local gym or any other area where Staph is known to lurk? Misting this over the hands and cloths(incidental contact) goes a long way in preventing an infection or transmission. Just brushing by a person who has a MRSA skin infection can transfer MILLIONS . Go visit your grandmother/mother/father at the nursing home and giving a hug good bye could mean bringing MRSA back to your home. Should a little one jump into your arms on greeting you when you get home, you inadvertently pass it on.

People have contracted MRSA infections simply by loaning their cell phone to a co-worker! A simple mist and wipe can do wonders to prevent this stuff.