HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Gratton up, Nodl down (article from Tim P. in post #1) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=585366)

Raffl House 12-19-2008 02:05 PM

Gratton up, Nodl down (article from Tim P. in post #1)
 
Nodl showed the desire to play and played hard, but his lack of points in inability to hit the net was an issue..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

Quote:

PHILADELPHIA (TICKER) —The Philadelphia Flyers on Friday recalled right wing Josh Gratton from the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League.

Gratton, 26, is scoreless in 11 games for the Flyers and has recorded three goals and three assists in 12 AHL games this season.

In a corresponding move, the Flyers assigned center Andreas Nodl to the Phantoms.

Article from Tim P:

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...659&feedID=695

Quote:


Panaccio: Gratton to Pick on Those His Own Size

By Tim Panaccio
CSNPhilly.com

Josh Gratton says he learned something during his 11-game stint with the Flyers in November as an enforcer.

“I tried [fighting] Georges [Laraque] and that didn’t go too well,” Gratton recalled. “Maybe I’ll stick to my weight class of 200 and 210 pounds. That might be the smarter, wiser choice.”

That could be a problem for the Flyers’ left wing given that Washington’s Donald Brashear will be on the ice Saturday afternoon at the Wachovia Center when the Capitals and Flyers meet for the first time since last spring’s memorable seven-game playoff series.

Gratton has replaced Andreas Nodl on the Flyers’ fourth line with Riley Cote and center Darroll Powe. Nodl, who was minus-11 and without a goal (he had three assists) in 24 games, was sent down to the Phantoms on Friday morning.

Being recalled is a reward for Gratton, whose major Flyers’ contribution was his work on the forecheck and four fights last month (3-1-0). But don’t expect the 6-foot-2, 214-pounder from Brantford, Ont., to take on the 6-2, 225-pound Brashear – unless forced.

“I remember back my first, two years in Philadelphia,” Gratton said, recalling his years with the Phantoms in 2004-06, plus his brief appearance as a Flyer in 2005-06. “I always looked up to Brash. He was kind of a mentor to me. I liked his style, the toughness in the way he played the game. I think Brash is out of my league.”

Ex Storm 12-19-2008 02:06 PM

I think he just needs to go down there and find his scoring touch. I'm fine with this until Briere is back.

facts 12-19-2008 02:12 PM

good move. We are rolling 3 lines effictively right now and this will allow Richards and Carter to get even more time.

RoDu 12-19-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 16894707)
I think he just needs to go down there and find his scoring touch. I'm fine with this until Briere is back.

I'd like to see a Upshall Briere Nodl line tried out

Bennysflyers16 12-19-2008 02:31 PM

I don't mind this, if Nodl is not going to score, rather have Gratton hitting. I guess this means Asham is gonna get rewarded for playing better, full time 3rd line

GKJ 12-19-2008 02:35 PM

Good move.

Also a $300K difference in base salary, opening some cap room.

ForsbergIsOdin 12-19-2008 02:40 PM

Good. Nodl was okay, but, as said already, he needs to start scoring. He was going to become Thoresen part 2 if he continued the way he was.

Hopefully this doesnt mess up any of his development, but he is still very young, so he should be good.

Terence Peterman 12-19-2008 02:44 PM

What I don't like about this is Asham getting full time 3rd line minutes. I don't think he's capable of sustaining this kind of play.

It probably is what's best for Nodl though. And I do like Gratton.

Speaking of Briere coming back, I really wish there were some way to get him to play effectively on Carter's wing. It could still leave a really solid third line in Upshall-Metro-Asham.

RJ8812 12-19-2008 02:51 PM

I think Nodl worried too much about playing well defensively that it hampered his offense

he should have been sent back down 10 games ago IMO

chaosof99* 12-19-2008 03:03 PM

I was wondering when Andi was going to be sent down. I think that is better for him than vegetate on the fourth line. Hope he finds his scoring touch again in the AHL and that he matures a bit more.

However, if we wanted a winger, wouldn't it have been better to call up Kalinski? Gratton is great, but I think he has more in him than 4th line. I'd hate it if they repeated the mistakes they made with Downie.


As Asham was mentioned, I think he was on the 3rd line for 3 games in a row now. I think the 3rd line of Upshall - Metro - Asham works fine for now.

thunderhorse 12-19-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin (Post 16895316)
Good. Nodl was okay, but, as said already, he needs to start scoring. He was going to become Thoresen part 2 if he continued the way he was.

Hopefully this doesnt mess up any of his development, but he is still very young, so he should be good.

At least Thoreson was good defensively, was a consistent forechecker, and made it tough as heck for opposing forwards to leave the zone. Nodl has tapered off and still can't hit an open net to save his life. Some time down will hopefully help him, rather than stunt his development.

Spongolium* 12-19-2008 03:30 PM

I thought they would of called up giroux for nodl. I'm just as happy with gratton. I thought he played very well for the flyers when he was here.

turkinaa 12-19-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 16895015)
I'd like to see a Upshall Briere Nodl line tried out

Same.

GKJ 12-19-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 16895015)
I'd like to see a Upshall Briere Nodl line tried out

It was tried but Briere couldn't make it through a whole game.

Haute Couturier 12-19-2008 04:45 PM

Giroux deserves a shot.

claude boivin lives 12-19-2008 04:52 PM

I'm fine with this...especially considering that Nodl is now in a fourth line role. And I prefer the type of play Gratton will bring to the fourth line over Nodl's. Nodl wasn't putting up numbers getting third line minutes, and he certainly wasn't going to put up any on the fourth line. He was doing an ok job, but let him go back to the AHL and start producing again.

We now officially have Bash Brothers on the fourth line. I'm certainly looking forward to it. As much as I appreciated the energetic presence of Sami and Thor on the fourth line last year...the type of presence I absolutely prefer is more of a physical one. If there's one thing I want from my fourth line, it's for them to bash and knock the hell out of the opponent with physical play. Just smash the hell out of them every chance you get. Beat 'em up, wear 'em out. That's what we're going to get with Cote-Powe-Gratton.

I think this move may have been coming anyway, but was probably given a shove after Asham's strong two point performance on the third line last night. They obviously intend to leave him there for now.


Howeva...I have a different idea of how I may want things when Briere gets back. Barring any other injuries...once Briere is healthy, we'll have an option to shift some things and really create three strong scoring lines again. I really do like the idea of leaving Giroux with the Phantoms all year...buuuut, at the same time, I kind of find myself unsure when I look at the options we could maybe have if we call him up. There's no reason to call him up now, but let's say he continues to tear up the A for another month, Briere gets healthy...we could do something like this...

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Briere-Giroux
Cote-Powe-Asham

Three strong scoring lines. Why not? At times, it was the greatest thing about our team last year...it hasn't been quite as existent this year. Sure, our checking line has been pretty good...but if you can make it a good scoring line then why the hell not? Besides, a good offense can be the best defense.

Some people will say that we should just shift Briere to wing, and leave Metro to center the third line as more of a checking line. Here's the problem I have with that...it eliminates offensive potential from wingers who wind up on that third line. It easily bumps someone like Lupul to play with Metro, when that shouldn't be the case. Same goes for Upshall, IMO. Scottie has enough offense in him to produce a good bit more with a good playmaker. Why eliminate that at all? Why eliminate that from Lupul at all? Why not go with three strong scoring lines if you can do it?

Some may also say that the Upshall-Briere-Giroux line is too small or not defensively responsible enough. I wouldn't worry about that much, but hey...maybe they're right. Even so though...that top nine, with Briere healthy and Giroux involved...gives you plenty of options for three scoring lines. I mostly put those three together because the Carter and Richards lines have been playing well enough that there's no currently no reason to think we should fool with them.

And before anyone responds by saying "Leave Giroux with the Phantoms." There's no need. I understand that sentiment, and I'll be ok with it if he does stay with them. I'm jus sayin'.

Raffl House 12-19-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 16895015)
I'd like to see a Upshall Briere Nodl line tried out

Or as I like to call it, "the super breakaway of 5 players for the other team" line..

CanadianFlyer88 12-19-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude boivin lives (Post 16897633)

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Briere-Giroux
Cote-Powe-Asham

CBL, where's Metro?

Replace Powe with Metro and that's what the lineup could have looked like if Giroux had impressed at camp.

flyersfan97 12-19-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDu (Post 16895015)
I'd like to see a Upshall Briere Nodl line tried out

I like the speed of this line, but the lack of toughness may be an issue. Upshall is pretty feisty and likes to stir it up on the ice, could be interesting if Briere and Nodl are the ones expected to come to Scottie's "rescue."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carle Winslow (Post 16897641)
Or as I like to call it, "the super breakaway of 5 players for the other team" line..

Not if they control the play in the other teams' zone. :D

Ghost of Downie* 12-19-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude boivin lives (Post 16897633)
I'm fine with this...especially considering that Nodl is now in a fourth line role. And I prefer the type of play Gratton will bring to the fourth line over Nodl's. Nodl wasn't putting up numbers getting third line minutes, and he certainly wasn't going to put up any on the fourth line. He was doing an ok job, but let him go back to the AHL and start producing again.

We now officially have Bash Brothers on the fourth line. I'm certainly looking forward to it. As much as I appreciated the energetic presence of Sami and Thor on the fourth line last year...the type of presence I absolutely prefer is more of a physical one. If there's one thing I want from my fourth line, it's for them to bash and knock the hell out of the opponent with physical play. Just smash the hell out of them every chance you get. Beat 'em up, wear 'em out. That's what we're going to get with Cote-Powe-Gratton.

I think this move may have been coming anyway, but was probably given a shove after Asham's strong two point performance on the third line last night. They obviously intend to leave him there for now.


Howeva...I have a different idea of how I may want things when Briere gets back. Barring any other injuries...once Briere is healthy, we'll have an option to shift some things and really create three strong scoring lines again. I really do like the idea of leaving Giroux with the Phantoms all year...buuuut, at the same time, I kind of find myself unsure when I look at the options we could maybe have if we call him up. There's no reason to call him up now, but let's say he continues to tear up the A for another month, Briere gets healthy...we could do something like this...

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Lupul
Upshall-Briere-Giroux
Cote-Powe-Asham

Three strong scoring lines. Why not? At times, it was the greatest thing about our team last year...it hasn't been quite as existent this year. Sure, our checking line has been pretty good...but if you can make it a good scoring line then why the hell not? Besides, a good offense can be the best defense.

Some people will say that we should just shift Briere to wing, and leave Metro to center the third line as more of a checking line. Here's the problem I have with that...it eliminates offensive potential from wingers who wind up on that third line. It easily bumps someone like Lupul to play with Metro, when that shouldn't be the case. Same goes for Upshall, IMO. Scottie has enough offense in him to produce a good bit more with a good playmaker. Why eliminate that at all? Why eliminate that from Lupul at all? Why not go with three strong scoring lines if you can do it?

Some may also say that the Upshall-Briere-Giroux line is too small or not defensively responsible enough. I wouldn't worry about that much, but hey...maybe they're right. Even so though...that top nine, with Briere healthy and Giroux involved...gives you plenty of options for three scoring lines. I mostly put those three together because the Carter and Richards lines have been playing well enough that there's no currently no reason to think we should fool with them.

And before anyone responds by saying "Leave Giroux with the Phantoms." There's no need. I understand that sentiment, and I'll be ok with it if he does stay with them. I'm jus sayin'.

I think out of the past fifty or so posts I've read from you, I've agreed with each of them, this one especially. The offensive potential of this team is really, really exciting.

claude boivin lives 12-19-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 (Post 16897788)
CBL, where's Metro?

Replace Powe with Metro and that's what the lineup could have looked like if Giroux had impressed at camp.

Hahaha, for chrissakes...poor Metro, what an ****** I am. I meant to put Metro in Powe's spot, don't know what the hell got into me.

When I suggested that we have bash brothers on the 4th line, I was referring to Cote and Gratton...wasn't including Powe in that thought process. Although, admittedly...I did like the idea of all three of them buzzing around and smashing the hell out of people. Powe has played well.

Still, if we do a top nine like the one I suggested...that 4th line center spot is absolutely 100% Metro's, no questions asked.

Thanks for the correction. :nod:

claude boivin lives 12-19-2008 05:27 PM

Ghost of Downie...thanks a lot, glad to know...and I agree with you that the offensive potential of this team certainly is exciting.

On a side note, I was just trying to quote your post and was getting some crazyass error message. I was also having problems earlier today when I was trying to post and wasn't able to do so. Anyone else been having issues or problems with the site today?

Ghost of Downie* 12-19-2008 05:31 PM

I've been having a few loading issues, no error messages though.

Casey Tatum 12-19-2008 05:34 PM

I see our fights per game going up a bit. Good deal.

RoDu 12-19-2008 05:38 PM

Since Knuble doesn't do a lot 5 on 5, and if we were to bring up Giroux at some point, why not try him with two guys who can be Selke candidates;
Gagne Richards Giroux
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Upshall Briere Knuble


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.