HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Fishy Betting On Controversial Habs/Canes Game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=585739)

Phil Parent 12-20-2008 01:18 PM

Speculation: Fishy Betting On Controversial Habs/Canes Game

Heard on CKAC, a guy informed them there was a bet made on the Habs VS Carolina game saying there would be more than 10 penalties called on the Habs for the game.

It happened and apparently, the cash remains unclaimed. The price is 4M US

The CKAC took it serious enough that they put Jeremy Filhosa (The best they have) on the case.

Interesting if not exactly a proof of anything. I don't even know if there IS such a bet somewhere.

Bullsmith 12-20-2008 01:24 PM

Doesn't make much sense. If you're trying to get a high-profile bet like that under the radar and you've bought a ref, why would they call attention to the game by going on an 11-0 run? Wouldn't 11-5 be a lot less suspicious?

Gustave 12-20-2008 01:30 PM

And where did that bet take place? Vegas?

Habs8517 12-20-2008 01:40 PM

:laugh:
must be someone from the nhl office, maybe buttman himself :D

JMMR 12-20-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustave (Post 16910358)
And where did that bet take place? Vegas?

Possibly I know you can make crazy bets on anything there.

Team_Spirit 12-20-2008 01:44 PM

I bet (lol) stuff like that happen a lot in pro sports.

sheed36 12-20-2008 04:35 PM

:amazed: That is some serious stuff to be saying on the radio...

Pascal 12-20-2008 04:40 PM

it would certainly explain a lot, and what better game to pick than one in Carolina where no one cares.

Spectaculard 12-20-2008 04:42 PM

Maybe its just a crazy coincidence? It ****ing better be.

MathMan 12-20-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pascal (Post 16913664)
it would certainly explain a lot, and what better game to pick than one in Carolina where no one cares.

Except the game was televised at least on RDS, and against one of the most mediatized teams in the league.

onice 12-20-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 16910144)
Heard on CKAC, a guy informed them there was a bet made on the Habs VS Carolina game saying there would be more than 10 penalties called on the Habs for the game.

The CKAC took it serious enough that they put Jeremy Filhosa (The best they have) on the case.

Interesting if not exactly a proof of anything. I don't even know if there IS such a bet somewhere.

That's typical CKAC. A guy, who we don't know but a guy, tells them something's fishy about the betting on the Caroline game and they put one of their reporters on the case. That's smart but meanwhile, they broadcast an unsubstantiated rumour. It almost makes me laugh if it wasn't so unprofessional and bush league. What a pathetic bunch of losers. Obviously, there are no journalistic standards at that station.

SakuKovalev 12-20-2008 05:27 PM

LOL at the last post. It's a live caller who said it. He couldn't just hang up or say it was ********. He put someone on it. Did the perfect thing. I dont know what he was supposed to do different. Perfect opportunity to bash CKAC though right?:sarcasm::shakehead

habdynasty 12-20-2008 05:30 PM

sounds like cnn material to me:sarcasm:

HH 12-20-2008 05:31 PM

I doubt it...it can't be that obvious. 11-1 was too obvious, if it was 11-6, 11-7 then maybe it would pass. Add that it was against one of the most followed team in the league, why not choose a team like Columbus or Florida to pull the stunt?

Lucius 12-20-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Parent (Post 16910144)

While conceivable, that bet isn't insane. If the guy bet there would be 10 consecutive penalties, I'd be more concerned.

Betting abnormalities are usually when there are A LOT of bets for an illogical outcome.

Next Best Thing* 12-20-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheed36 (Post 16913617)
:amazed: That is some serious stuff to be saying on the radio...

Maybe because its true. I don't know about you but I don't have a hard time believing this "speculation" because the refs literally called EVERYTHING on us. They threw the ****ing rule book in our face a la Savard in the playoffs vs. Fraser. And what im about to say isnt only hockey related but there's a big number of things in this world that is happening that we don't know about and they aren't just urban myths.

Lucius 12-20-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 16919479)
Maybe because its true. I don't know about you but I don't have a hard time believing this "speculation" because the refs literally called EVERYTHING on us. They threw the ****ing rule book in our face a la Savard in the playoffs vs. Fraser. And what im about to say isnt only hockey related but there's a big number of things in this world that is happening that we don't know about and they aren't just urban myths.

If this was a betting scam, the perpetrators are as others have said, stark raving mad.

Do it with Nashville vs. Columbus on a Tuesday. Involving Montreal, likely the only team that HAS investigative reporters available to its stories, and then doing it 11-1, is just asking to get caught.

onice 12-20-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikhailGrabovski (Post 16914242)
LOL at the last post. It's a live caller who said it. He couldn't just hang up or say it was ********. He put someone on it. Did the perfect thing. I dont know what he was supposed to do different. Perfect opportunity to bash CKAC though right?:sarcasm::shakehead

This is not a radio station yet if I come here with an unsubstantiated rumour my thread gets closed or deleted.

A caller who probably had one too many cases of beer for breakfast makes an asinine declaration and it's accepted as something worthy of consideration.

It's not because it's an obvious play of the station to create drama where none exists. It's because I don't like CKAC. Yeah, that's it.

Pandering to speculation and rumour now is becoming the journalistic standard. It wouldn't surprise me if CKAC had someone call in with that "newsworthy" tip.

Next Best Thing* 12-20-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucius (Post 16919654)
If this was a betting scam, the perpetrators are as others have said, stark raving mad.

Do it with Nashville vs. Columbus on a Tuesday. Involving Montreal, likely the only team that HAS investigative reporters available to its stories, and then doing it 11-1, is just asking to get caught.

You make a good point.

Habs10Habs 12-21-2008 12:17 AM

This thread was given enough time. Since it's just speculation from a caller.