HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Who Do You Keep??? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=586331)

Bruin72 12-22-2008 10:30 AM

Who Do You Keep???

With both Alexi Kovalev and Saku Koivu becoming unrestricted free agents next season and you only could keep one of them who would it be?

Haddock 12-22-2008 10:32 AM

Saku and it's not even close.

Habs 4 Life 12-22-2008 10:36 AM

Both 3 year deals at 3.5 each would be great

le_sean 12-22-2008 10:37 AM

Saku.

If the young offensive players are not ready to carry this team on their own then they are useless. It's Andrei Kostitsyn's team next year (in terms of offence).

Bruin72 12-22-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haddock (Post 16939766)
Saku and it's not even close.

I agree with you too I actually think if Kovalev keeps up with his inconcisistent play he'll probably end up in Europe next season

Lone Rogue 12-22-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruin72 (Post 16939819)
I agree with you too I actually think if Kovalev keeps up with his inconcisistent play he'll probably end up in Europe next season

Are you kidding me?

Kovalev has been a great player all season. Just because you are not scoring doesn't mean you are not playing well. Last night was probably his most invisible game all year. Otherwise he has been very good for us, just not scoring.

But I would keep Koivu over just about anyone on the team.

Judge Sauer* 12-22-2008 10:39 AM

As much as I love having kovy on this team, if I were to choose only one, I go with saku. it doesn't hurt that he's my favourite player in the league as well.

HamrlikTheStud* 12-22-2008 10:40 AM

In my opinion the question is more about Tanguay vs Kovalev.

I keep Tanguay. He'll not win as many game all by himself as Kovalev can, but he's not going to hurt you either...

Kovalev's points are on the power play. Tanguay helps our transition game and our 5 on 5 play more than Kovalev does.

Koivu is here to stay. Lang is a question mark, but I wouldn't mind him for another year or two for about 3,5M. He's been great for us so far.

Haddock 12-22-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm (Post 16939838)
In my opinion the question is more about Tanguay vs Kovalev.

I keep Tanguay. He'll not win as many game all by himself as Kovalev can, but he's not going to hurt you either...

Kovalev's points are on the power play. Tanguay helps our transition game and our 5 on 5 play more than Kovalev does.

Koivu is here to stay. Lang is a question mark, but I wouldn't mind him for another year or two for about 3,5M. He's been great for us so far.

Agreed. Kovalev will be overpaid for a few seasons and it won't be in Montréal (I hope). Tanguay is a better option and I don't think he'll ask for the moon like Kovy probably will. What do I base this on? Nothing. This is a hockey message board, cut me some slack!

Andy 12-22-2008 10:44 AM

Saku, not even close.

For some reason I feel that Kovalev holds us back. I just have this feeling that if we would actually get a star winger ala Kovalchuck one day, Kovalev would sulk and just coast because the spot light is no longer on him.

Also I feel he holds us back too much because we are always looking to give him the puck, but Kovalev is not a game breaker like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin or Alfie, so it ends up leading to nothing.

I feel as though the habs won't progress so long as they have Kovalev on the team and I don't even hate the guy, I actually like him, but he holds us back.

but this is all opinion, I have no proof.

Lone Rogue 12-22-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haddock (Post 16939856)
Agreed. Kovalev will be overpaid for a few seasons and it won't be in Montréal (I hope). Tanguay is a better option and I don't think he'll ask for the moon like Kovy probably will. What do I base this on? Nothing. Just a feeling.

Depending on how well we do, I think they'll ask for decent contracts. If we win the Cup, I could see Kovalev and Tanguay staying on a one year deal for a discount to see if we can repeat, then looking into a long term deal. I also think Kovalev really has two options: Here or New York, and New York certainly can't fit him, he'll just stay a Hab and take a paycut.

PKtrollban 12-22-2008 10:44 AM

I would sign Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay. Just saying this because I don't want the organisation to waste young talents (like they did with Latendresse), ie Max Pac, if he's not NHL ready. At the moment, I don't see how we can replace those three players. The Kost bros are far from being as good as those players, nor any other young guns.

Hopefully, they sign for 3.5 or less (I'm probably dreaming).

Born in 1909 12-22-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 16939874)
Depending on how well we do, I think they'll ask for decent contracts. If we win the Cup, I could see Kovalev and Tanguay staying on a one year deal for a discount to see if we can repeat, then looking into a long term deal. I also think Kovalev really has two options: Here or New York, and New York certainly can't fit him, he'll just stay a Hab and take a paycut.

The miracle cup of 2009?

Iwishihadacup 12-22-2008 10:52 AM

I would sign Koivu and Tanguay

And next year our forwards would look like

Center:
Koivu
Plekanec
Lapierre
Chipchura

wingers:

Tanguay
Sergei K
Andrei K
Higgins
Latendresse
D'agostini
Kostopoulos
Laraque
Stewart

we would have 13 forwards maybe 14 with Begin if he re-sign

loudi94 12-22-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koseegin (Post 16939871)
Saku, not even close.

For some reason I feel that Kovalev holds us back. I just have this feeling that if we would actually get a star winger ala Kovalchuck one day, Kovalev would sulk and just coast because the spot light is no longer on him.

Also I feel he holds us back too much because we are always looking to give him the puck, but Kovalev is not a game breaker like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin or Alfie, so it ends up leading to nothing.

I feel as though the habs won't progress so long as they have Kovalev on the team and I don't even hate the guy, I actually like him, but he holds us back.

but this is all opinion, I have no proof.

He has always maintained that he wants to be the "go to" guy. That was why he didn't play so well in NY during his second stint and was probably why he didn't do so well early in the year when we were rolling four lines consistently. If the Habs are to move forward as a team, then Kovy needs to accept a new role or move on. At a reduced rate, I'd resign him in a minute though. Not going to happen though.

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 11:04 AM

Koivu. We need depth at center, Lang will be gone, so keeping koivu is ideal. On top of which, it's koivu! Our captain. i want him to retire a hab. Kovalev, is inconsistent and well, great as he can be, it's tough to stress consistent efforts from your team when your top offensive player is inconsistent. He's not getting any younger either. As someone said, it's more of tanguay vs kovalev and for me it's tanguay. He's younger so it's easier to gauge where he'll be in 2-3 years if you sign him. Less risky, not to mention, he's still a good player.

Lone Rogue 12-22-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citylife (Post 16939960)
The miracle cup of 2009?

The fact that Montreal loses to crappy teams yet convincingly beats good teams and will likely end out in a spot like 4th or 5th, meaning they'll be playing the top teams in the East throughout the playoffs, gives me a lot more comfort. We play hard when we need to play hard. Isn't that the sign of a playoff team?

One Man Rock Band 12-22-2008 11:13 AM

I'd sign Koivu in a heartbeat.

The question, I think, will be 2 of Lang, Kovalev, and Tanguay.

Joey 12-22-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 16940179)

I can't see Lang resigning, especially at his age and how many others have more priority than him (he won't get the $$ he'd want IMO)

HamrlikTheStud* 12-22-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey (Post 16940203)
I can't see Lang resigning, especially at his age and how many others have more priority than him (he won't get the $$ he'd want IMO)

If you ask me, I'd keep both Lang and Tanguay. Nothing against Kovalev, but I actually think this team may need to let him go to let the younger players take the next step.

theboss* 12-22-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 16939816)
Saku.

If the young offensive players are not ready to carry this team on their own then they are useless. It's Andrei Kostitsyn's team next year (in terms of offence).

I can't wait to see that

smon 12-22-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm (Post 16940220)
If you ask me, I'd keep both Lang and Tanguay. Nothing against Kovalev, but I actually think this team may need to let him go to let the younger players take the next step.

Yes, but Lang as the third line centre kind of puts him in the way of Kyle Chipchura, doesn't it? Depending on what other changes occur, Lang might stick...but I find it unlikely.

HamrlikTheStud* 12-22-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smon (Post 16940325)
Yes, but Lang as the third line centre kind of puts him in the way of Kyle Chipchura, doesn't it? Depending on what other changes occur, Lang might stick...but I find it unlikely.

The more I think about it, the more I think Chipper should be converted as a winger. It's where his future is with the Habs in my opinion. He'd be perfect on a line with Lapierre, as the other one is speedy enough to create things. Plus Chipper has some difficulties on faceoffs.

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 16940179)

I think just tanguay and perhaps a UFA signing instead of two guys past their prime.

smon 12-22-2008 11:30 AM

Yes, Gainey will definitely keep Koivu. Kovalev, Lang, Tanguay are all questionable. If Tanguay is willing to play nice and take less money (he's not the 80pt man anymore) then he might definitely stay too. Kovalev, I don't know, stranger things have happened but I find it really unlikely. Ditto for Lang, barring a significant paycut.