HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Do we really NEED a trade? No. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=586340)

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 10:00 AM

Do we really NEED a trade? No.

People so desperately assume we're missing so much on this team...I don't believe that. If we had streit on the point, we'd prob be one of the top 5 teams in the league no question. It's that small. We lose one guy and we're missing so much? "We need a kovalchuk!" "Eklund says we'll get gaborik(e4) Can't wait!!" "How about both, omg omg". Look, I join in too, I think the habs would be better off with a top 4 instead of O'byrne/breezer all year. Injury happens, and we don't have much to go on for D-men. Other than that, for everyone talking about it, Kovalchuk is not available, he's got 2 years left on his contract, trade him and the franchise might as well put a "For sale and relocation" sign up. Gaborik? Minny played 32 games...Gaborik played 5, you get the point.

A gritty forward? We have begin/lapierre/kosto. Someone who fights? Begin/Laraque/komi/Boullion/Kosto. Someone who can add some goals? For ****s sake(The entire team?), we scored the 1st or 2nd last year and upgraded our forwards! Is goals really a problem? We're missing a PP point man, not a 20 goal scorer.

Our game is skill and speed, not grit and 'sandpaper' forwards. Last year, I'd see kovalev and markov making passes on the PP, back to streit, one-timer and in. Was nice to watch. Now...I feel like the bruins or philly, I hope someone's gonna goon it up and fight. (By the way, bruins fans can say what they want about laraque and carbo's 'antics', but we got laraque because of their(and other teams) goonish nature when we beat them 12 times in a row.)

This team has skill, this team has talent, this team increased their size. We've got some tough players, latendresse may be no power forward, but he doesn't play soft either. Boullion, Komisarek and Hammer do some crushing hits. I've seen andrei and sergei do some great hits too. Koivu even laid someone out this year!

Last year, Carbo stressed team toughness and the team responded fairly well, we were no goon squad but our defence was pretty tough, komi leading the league in hits and blocked shots. Kosto had like what, almost 10 fights? ya ya, he never wins, but remember the andrei hit from sauer? laraque tried, sauer refused. Kosto, being outmatched went in and challenged the guy, fought him and lost but basically sent the message that "fine, you don't to fight laraque, then fight me, we're not backing down".

Honestly, we only lost streit from last year and he's not exactly a gritty player by any streit of the imagination. We have a #1 team in the eastern conference right here, we don't need to dismantle the team for a star. I'd like someone to replace streit who might as well be an upgrade on d too, so we can be back as we were, actually better but it's not even 100% necessary.

We have all the tools in this team to be successful, depth, grinders, fighters, hitters, scorers, passers, PP players. All we need is that the players play their role and the team fights for eachother. Lats sat out, garbo stressed, pick up the intensity, go more towards the net, he responded. Sergei...responded. Komi came back...responded. Begin/dandenault...people wanted them out, they responded. We have a lot of depth for forwards, the players need to realize they can't all play regular PP time and can't all play 20 min a game. Someone's gonna have to do the dirty work, someone's gonna have to adjust and find a role on this team. Until the players realize that they have to be hard to play against no matter what role they play, we'll be inconsistent, but do we need a trade? Do we need more grit? More fighting? More scoring? No. It's on this team already.

There are trades that would improve the team: top 4 Ds, elite players, etc etc. I'm not against them, but I think there's no point in getting someone to fight our fights for us or to score the goals we should be able to score. We're a team, not a single player.

HamrlikTheStud* 12-22-2008 10:15 AM

Must we make a trade to have a good team? No. We already are. It's not new.
In order to be a serious contender, must we make a trade? Hell yeah.

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimminsTheStorm (Post 16940190)
Must we make a trade to have a good team? No. We already are. It's not new.
In order to be a serious contender, must we make a trade? Hell yeah.

Serious contender is pretty vague. No one wants to go into the playoffs with just enough. So people will say we need a kovalchuk or a gaborik, we don't really. Do we need a 20 goal guy who's gritty and fights? because fighting is a major concern in the playoffs?

Last year we got burned because we couldnt play 5 on 5. we have the best 5 on 5s in the league. Click our PP and you have a lethal combo. People aren't seeing the improvement because of the PP. Higgins and kovalev made tons of goals and points on the PP, so did Plek, notice all these guys are not close to last year's form stat wise? Find the PP solution, which probably is within our system. We have weber and such, he's just not ready for the big show. Can we use a top 4 did with a nice slapshot? yes, would make things easier but if a gm is gonna make a trade for every little thing, the team will never learn how to overcome obstacles. We'll learn now, even carbo refuses to bring weber up, he says we'll figure it out.

Maybe a deadline deal, last minute deal to throw us over the top. But as for the little things, people say we need to get shannahan, because he's a 'in your face' type of leader. Do we have chemistry issues or do we need an upgrade? there's a big difference. We have awesome depth up front. Another top 4 D is the only thing we could use, but then again, if o'byrne plays as good as he did last year, he's no jay bo, but already that makes it easier for us.

smon 12-22-2008 10:27 AM

I'd say we need a top 4 D, top priority. The offensive issues should work themselves out, the forward corps is way too talented to run into more problems. A minor pickup of a veteran gritty forward (aka another 4th liner, but with plenty of playoff experience) at the deadline would be nice, but not necessary if the defender we got had some experience.

Kirk Muller 12-22-2008 10:46 AM

The inability of this team to play a 60 minute effort tells there is a move needing to be made. We are too far into the season to believe this is just a stretch of poor play. Its becoming a trend now.

If Gainey believes they have legit hopes of going to Cup this year, they make a trade. If not, they get thru this year and work with what they got and then decide what dead weight to cut in the offseason.

lou4gehrig 12-22-2008 11:19 AM

It's funny people keep saying we need a Top 4 D-Man. Not for defensive reasons as we are 8th best in Goals Allowed. But for offensive / powerplay reasons.

We are in every single game we play. We have the 6th fewest losses in the league. I think we really need a reliable goal scorer. Right now rookie D'Ago is our most reliable goal scorer.

We can't expect to win with the likes of Pleks (9 games without scoring), Tanguay (2 goals in 16 games), Kovalev (19 games without scoring).

Of our 14 losses and OT losses, 10 are one-goal losses.

Kovalev is on pace for 20 goals (last season 35 goals), Plek on pace for 15 goals (last season 29 goals), Higgins on pace for around 15 goals (last season 27 goals), A Kost on pace for 15 goals (last season 26 goals). Plus we had 43 goals between Lats, Ryder and Streit last season.

Somebody like Gaborik would elevate everybody around him. His longest stretch without scoring last season was 6 games. True he is an injury risk, but you need to take some risks in order to win a cup. Even somebody like Kovalchuk rarely goes more than 5 games without scoring.

You need this type of natural goal scorer and we haven't had one in a long-time. It would open up the ice for alot of non-superstar players like Pleks and A Kost.

We also have the talent to acquire somebody like this. Really time to go for broke.

hellojp 12-22-2008 12:57 PM

Why are we not #1 in the East? = PP

We had Sourray and Streit, teams were SCARED of out Power Play and the Shot from the Point. We lost both shots we had from the point. Teams are not scared of that shot anymore and concentrate on the forwards when killing one of our PP. Hense they are not scoring on the Power Play.

If you put the pressure back on the point, you open up the forwards in front of the net.

We have the talent in our top 6 Fwds, hell even in the top 9. We have good solids defencemen, but lack the Offensive d-man from the point.

A trade that will but the fear back in the PP point shot would do wonders...

Fido22 12-22-2008 01:01 PM

Quick question:

Why did you decide to make the thread title a question you answer in the title itself instead of writting something like "We do not really NEED a trade".

I'm curious. I often wonder about such things.

le_sean 12-22-2008 01:03 PM

Yes we do need a trade. We need a defenceman that can shoot and move the puck. The transition game would improve, therefore our 5 on 5 would get better and the PP would improve. Plus trading assets lets the other guys on the team know they are not safe and they should pick it up a little, theoretically.

Ozymandias 12-22-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido22 (Post 16942433)
Quick question:

Why did you decide to make the thread title a question you answer in the title itself instead of writting something like "We do not really NEED a trade".

Its for the....

DRAMATIC EFFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fido22 12-22-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 16942488)
Its for the....

oooooooooh, pretty colours.

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido22 (Post 16942433)
Quick question:

I guess depends the person. That's the way I write, not the way I speak but whatever. Asking a question and answering it somehow feels like you're addressing an issue more than just saying a phrase. Technical, whatever, but like i said, just ended up being that way.

Also, I'm curious to why your question has no question mark:)

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 16942488)
Its for the....

Jesus price my eyes!!

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 16942460)
Yes we do need a trade. We need a defenceman that can shoot and move the puck. The transition game would improve, therefore our 5 on 5 would get better and the PP would improve. Plus trading assets lets the other guys on the team know they are not safe and they should pick it up a little, theoretically.

I think our 5 on 5 play is one of the tops in the league my friend. I don't think we have a transition game problem. Merely a PP problem.

Fido22 12-22-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942531)
I guess depends the person. That's the way I write, not the way I speak but whatever. Asking a question and answering it somehow feels like you're addressing an issue more than just saying a phrase. Technical, whatever, but like i said, just ended up being that way.

Good enough answer? Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942531)
Also, I'm curious to why your question has no question mark:)

ok, here is the deal, I'll show you my question mark if you show me yours!

:D

le_sean 12-22-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942549)
I think our 5 on 5 play is one of the tops in the league my friend. I don't think we have a transition game problem. Merely a PP problem.

5 on 5 is good, I agree, great compared to the last 2 years. But it can still improve, anything can be better. Transition game, meh, we rely a lot on Kovalev to geti n the zone and Markov. You add that defenceman, we become elite 5 on 5 (great for the playoffs) and the PP improves which is an immediate need. It's all about building for the postseason.

#57 12-22-2008 01:22 PM

Let's deal the Carolina Hurricanes to the AHL.

Ozymandias 12-22-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942537)
Jesus price my eyes!!

I react the same way with some posts, except there aren,t any colors on them... except for a teach smiley sometimes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido22 (Post 16942619)
ok, here is the deal, I'll show you my question mark if you show me yours!

:D

The dawg will never change. PERV!!!!

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 16942724)
5 on 5 is good, I agree, great compared to the last 2 years. But it can still improve, anything can be better. Transition game, meh, we rely a lot on Kovalev to geti n the zone and Markov. You add that defenceman, we become elite 5 on 5 (great for the playoffs) and the PP improves which is an immediate need. It's all about building for the postseason.

As long as that D-man can shoot(like you suggested). Kovalev actually slows down our transition game sometimes, it's very annoying. We have so much speed, we're flying, and he holds onto the puck too long, starts dangling back and forth and the rest of the guys stand at the blueline and lose speed.

Ozymandias 12-22-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942803)
As long as that D-man can shoot(like you suggested). Kovalev actually slows down our transition game sometimes, it's very annoying. We have so much speed, we're flying, and he holds onto the puck too long, starts dangling back and forth and the rest of the guys stand at the blueline and lose speed.

So true, I've noticed this a lot.

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 16942764)
I react the same way with some posts, except there aren,t any colors on them... except for a teach smiley sometimes.

Those particular posts destroy brain cells.

Next Best Thing* 12-22-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942803)

More often than not he is the reason we don't play a dump and chase game.

wedge 12-22-2008 01:34 PM

I dont understand why some people want a Sundin or a Gaborik. Of course they would improve the team, but I really like our 4 lines.

But, we really really need another puck-moving defenseman. People say top-4 defenseman? Agreed. But not a stay-at-home. We need another defenseman for getting the puck to the other zone and play on the powerplay. A poor Andrei Markov. Sure, Komisarek, Gorges, Hamrlik and Bouillon are nice, but we need better. It's no coincidence Brisebois plays so much. He's one of the few defensemen who can create something offensively. I don't really care about Gaborik. Sure, it would be nice.. but I don't think that's the most important thing we need right now.

LyricalLyricist 12-22-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 16942907)
More often than not he is the reason we don't play a dump and chase game.

Not sure if you favour it or not. I would prefer dumping it in sometimes. We have enough speed to get in. Mind you, when we do it on PP it never works. Then again, nothing works on the PP sometimes.

Next Best Thing* 12-22-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 16942964)
Not sure if you favour it or not. I would prefer dumping it in sometimes. We have enough speed to get in. Mind you, when we do it on PP it never works. Then again, nothing works on the PP sometimes.

I'm not too sure myself.