HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   McKenzie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=58644)

KING 03-05-2004 12:33 AM

McKenzie

Of course, the New York Rangers could hold the balance of power as far as available defencemen are concerned. They're getting interest in Tom Poti, who has another year on his contract at $3.1 million, and Greg de Vries, too, even though he's owed another $8.8 million over the next three years.
Let's be honest, the Rangers remain the focal point for much of the deadline dealing and not just on defencemen. Soon to be unrestricted free agents Martin Rucinsky, Matthew Barnaby and Chris Simon are all expected to go, with the Vancouver Canucks amongst the many teams clamoring for Rucinsky

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=74964&hubName=nhl

Brooklyn Ranger 03-05-2004 12:50 AM

God, I hope he's right about Poti. And while de Dries has been solid, if someone is willing to give up something decent, I'm willing.

Edge 03-05-2004 01:10 AM

DeVries is generating a lot of interest, a lot more than you might think.

If we trade with Colorado i wanna see if we can get McCormick. I like that kid a lot.

BDubinskyNYR17* 03-05-2004 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
DeVries is generating a lot of interest, a lot more than you might think.

If we trade with Colorado i wanna see if we can get McCormick. I like that kid a lot.

Yea man. I like McCormick alot too, I also like that kid Steve Moore, I think having the 2 Moore's on same team can help each other out. Now rumors are Stars intrested in De Vries and Rucinsky, of the Stars I like Mathias Tjärnqvist from the Dallas Stars as well as Joel Lundqvist and Brandon Crombeen and I like Tuomas Mikkonen

Edge 03-05-2004 03:10 AM

I'm worried about getting too many europeans on this team.

it sounds racist, and it's not meant to be. but it is a different style of hockey and i'm worried about us pulling a Mike Smith here.

EvilCorporateLawyer 03-05-2004 07:14 AM

Quote:

it sounds racist, and it's not meant to be. but it is a different style of hockey and i'm worried about us pulling a Mike Smith here.

I agree. We need a nice balance.

Plus, I just think Joel Lundqvist is grossly overrated.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-05-2004 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KING
Of course, the New York Rangers could hold the balance of power as far as available defencemen are concerned.

The balance of power? We have said (and heard) how bad our defense is and now teams can't grab up our defensemen fast enough?

jas 03-05-2004 07:45 AM

What the phrase, the sum is greater than the parts??

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
The balance of power? We have said (and heard) how bad our defense is and now teams can't grab up our defensemen fast enough?

Clearly, that doesn't apply to the Rangers. Rather, it just goes to show how caustic this situation is. Both Leetch and Nedved are drawing praise in their debuts. What does that tell all of us of how bad the enviroment and atmosphere is in this organization. Put any player in place where he gets support on the ice, and he's bound to have a better chance to succeed.

True Blue 03-05-2004 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

Again, coaching, coaching, and more coaching. How many very good players have come here and have not done jack? And how many leave and suddenly are good again? Knuble was a waste of space here. Look at him in Boston. Ditto for Finley and St. Louis. Even Mike Keane.
It's the right system and the right coach. Given the right coach and the right system (read: not 80's pond hockey) and our players can excell again.

kazo 03-05-2004 10:19 AM

Quote:

I have the same concerns. Our prospects are already top heavy with Euros. If Dallas has interest in deVries I'd like to see us pick up John Erskine.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-05-2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
I have the same concerns. Our prospects are already top heavy with Euros.

Pierre McGuire said the same thing on the FAN yesterday.

Bluenote13 03-05-2004 11:17 AM

The only reason i can come up with for Slats & co taking all these Euro's in deals is the same thing we always hear - fast, elusive skaters. I think it's great to stockpile these kind of players, but we will need to balance that out.

I'd say the draft would be time to aquire the guys who will be fearless along the boards and on the backcheck, but i KNOW Sather is gunning for Ovechkin. I don't think there's any doubt. The stockpiling of picks, JD's comments about building around a Kovalchuk type, and the fact that Ovechkin meets one of our most needed areas - a LW with size.

If we end up with Ovechkin, or if we keep the picks I can't see either as being a bad thing.

Bluenote13 03-05-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Again, coaching, coaching, and more coaching. How many very good players have come here and have not done jack? And how many leave and suddenly are good again? Knuble was a waste of space here. Look at him in Boston. Ditto for Finley and St. Louis. Even Mike Keane.
It's the right system and the right coach. Given the right coach and the right system (read: not 80's pond hockey) and our players can excell again.

I agree 100%.

Bluenote13 03-05-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatherExecutioner
Look at the Senators, half their team are Europeans and they are consistantly one of the top teams in the NHL. The main objective is to get a coach like Quenville here and we will be just fine with almost any lineup.

I can see that. The Sens bring up a good point. They drafted lots of Euro's who are skilled, great skaters and have used TRADES to get guys like Schaefer, Varada, Simpson, etc.

I'm not going to complain because we've gotten some nice looking prospects, like you said, it'll be important to get the right coach in here, then Slats can work his 'magic' with getting the rightmix in here for him.

RANGER#11 03-05-2004 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
God, I hope he's right about Poti. And while de Dries has been solid, if someone is willing to give up something decent, I'm willing.

I am not in a big hurry to see Poti go only because if we are going to put a younger team on the ice I would hope that we would bring in a coach that will be good with younger players(I know this is Sather we are talking about though) And I think Poti has the tools to be a very good defencemen if trained properly. He is still young enough to have a good upside.